Long Term Hunter

View Long Term Hunter's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Buckle: America's No. 1 Destination For Denim, And A 35% Upside [View article]
    Hi fendermon,

Thanks for your kind comments. Hope your daughter was kind to your wallet =)
    Dec 9, 2013. 06:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific Corporation: Betting On America's Largest Rail Company For The Long Term [View article]
    Hi Snoopy44,

Please allow me to attempt the challenge of changing your perspective =)

1) It's not about the volume of shares or price, it's about the % increase

Assuming that you do buy 5 shares of UNP at a price of $160, and the price gained 5% shortly. Your gains will be $40-Commissions (168*5-160*5-commissio... On the other hand, if you buy a $16 share, you can afford to buy 50. Total gains for a similar 5% price increase will also yield $40-Commissions (16.8*50-16*50-commiss... Henceforth, it's not about the number of shares or price, it's about the % increase.

2) It may not be a growth stock like Google or Apple but it still has room for growth at $160.

From your comment, it seems like you feel that $160 is a price too high for a non growth stock to move further upwards. But there are many cases of stocks of mature companies increasing their share price at a respectable rate albeit already at very high levels. Some examples are: CVX (Year beginning: 110.39, YTD: 122.06), MMM (Year beginning: 94.78, YTD: 130.05). I am sure these aren't the best examples, but they do suffice to prove my point. Furthermore, with all the trends and economics and the massive share buybacks that UNP is undertaking. Its share price is poised to move higher.

What do you think?

Hope it helps! =)

Sincerely,
    LTH
    Nov 20, 2013. 12:08 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Gregg,

Great comments =)

You have made me interested in taking a closer look into Cummins.
    Nov 19, 2013. 11:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Rgperrin,

Oh my, you are right, I have missed this important benefit to shareholders. I will be sure to include this in my future updates. ;)
    Nov 19, 2013. 11:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • DirecTV: A Leader In Pay TV Services With About 40% Upside [View article]
    Hi Vigma,

Excellent piece of information! Thanks for sharing!
    Oct 31, 2013. 03:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • DirecTV: A Leader In Pay TV Services With About 40% Upside [View article]
    Hi Richard48,

Thanks for sharing such excellent points!

I've got a strong hunch that DTV's ancillary revenues (revenues from advertisements, non residential customers) have been rising at a very rapid pace.

One clue is its recent cooperation with Toyota

Unfortunately, the management does not release such info.
    Oct 31, 2013. 03:24 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Does DirecTV Really Earn? [View article]
    Hi Early retiree,

Great article! Loved the part where you broke out the math on maintenance expenditures.

Also, thanks for mentioning my article in yours =)
    Oct 31, 2013. 03:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Daniel,

Great point you brought up there.

I used to believe that the internet allows people to shop without boundries as well, and could be a problem for BKE. But if you would kindly imagine the different retailers as magnets whose magnetic powers depend on the strength of their product portfolio, shopping without boundries would be a plus for BKE as they can now target a larger group of consumers without the need of very expensive capital expenditures. This is especially important at a time where competition for retail locations is extremely strong. You either not get the space you want or you have to pay a high price for it.

So, ultimately everything boils down to the strength of the product portfolio. Since, this is covered in the first section of my article and explained more in my comments above, I shall spare you the agony of reading it again.

Hope it helps! =)
    Oct 23, 2013. 10:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Choosh,

The ability to sustain their high margins lies in the ability of the company to maintain the strength of their brands and designs. As I have explained in the "profitability" section of my article, BKE's business model has in itself an upward spiral that is hard to or takes a long time to be mimicked by competitors. Simplified: more customers equals larger distribution power and henceforth a larger interest in denim brands to have their products distributed by BKE. As such, BKE has an upward spiral in place which continously strengthens the product portfolio (strengthening its economic moat) over time and protecting its business volumes and pricing power. This is evident by its high long term margins and returns.

Hope this helps.
    Oct 23, 2013. 10:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bemis Company, Inc.: An Unsuitable Long-Term Investment [View article]
    Hi Leser,

Sep 26, 2013. 12:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GT Advanced Technologies: A Solar/LED Equipment Supplier Market Leader With Almost 80% Upside [View article]
    Hi Gumby,

Thank you for your comment.

GTAT relies very extensively on capital expenditures from solar panel manufacturers. An overcapacity in the industry will result in cashflow problems for solar panel manufacturers. Therefore, without sufficient cashflow, these companies would not be able to upgrade their equipment/purchase their equipment from GTAT even if they wanted to. So, the overcapacity has to be solved first before the industry can move forward. Once the solar manufacturers have sufficient cash, they can upgrade their equipment, push down the prices of solar energy, increase adoption and getting more cash to further upgrade; creating a virtuous cycle for the industry.

I do agree it will be very interesting to see how things will turnout in the coming year and next.
    Aug 2, 2013. 08:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi MattA,

Unfortunately I am not able to assess the impact of the "settlement" until official full details of the agreement is released.

But based on numerous reports, it does seem the "amicable settlement" between Europe and China would be a positive for valuations. However, we should not put so much weight on this settlement as it has yet been approved by the EU. Thou honestly, I would bet for a "green light" by the EU as there were huge resistance against a solar tariff in the EU itself in the first place- with the now "big brother" of EU, Germany, included. Also, China is the EU's 2nd largest trading partner, so I believe the EU knows that if high tariffs are to be implemented, things will get mighty ugly for their economies if China retaliates; especially at a time when their economies are still pretty fragile. (PS: It will be out tomorrow, so let's cross our fingers).

As for the US, I personally don't think an EU agreement would spillover to a US compromise. 1) As per the article you linked: US is "faced with a complex process in the United States for removing tariffs once the Commerce Department has made them final" 2) As mentioned above, there were many EU members who were against the tariffs. However, there weren't very strong resistance in the US.
    Aug 1, 2013. 12:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Long Fossil Group: A Company With An Army Of Strong Brands [View article]
    Hi Alpha Fan,

I am not referring to the iWatch, I am referring to all smart watches. Nor am I referring to the entire design of the iWatch, I am referring to just the exterior design.

If the technology gains traction, I don't think Apple will be the only company offering or monopolizing this device form. Other companies will join in the party too. Just like when iPhone popularized the smart phone technology, other OEMs such as Samsung, HTC, Nokia and many others too. So, even without Apple, FOSL still have many other companies they can work on.
    Jul 12, 2013. 05:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Long Fossil Group: A Company With An Army Of Strong Brands [View article]
    Hi,

Thank you for your comment and you brought up a very good point.

So far, there have been nothing but rumors about the functionality and release date of Apple, Google or Samsung's "smart watch". As no concrete news has been released by the respective companies, it's very hard for me to assess their impact on FOSL's revenue.

However, assuming that the technology does gain traction in the near future. I believe that impact on FOSL's revenue will only be for a limited amount of time.

My logic of this stems from the fact that FOSL is ultimately a design house, not a technology company and therefore not a competitor to Google, Apple or Samsung. In other words, FOSL can create alliances with these companies to handle the outer designing of these smart watches and target consumers with different fashion preferences. The business of designing has not changed, just the form factor of the watch.

I personally feel that investors should only be worried when FOSL ATTEMPTS to create smart watches of their own. This would most probably lead to a failure due to their lack of expertise in the world of technolgoy.
    Jul 10, 2013. 10:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coach, Inc: A Coach For Life [View article]
    Hi Bob,

Thanks for the comment!

I agree that market penetration in China is a dependable source of expansion. Besides that, and a bonus to shareholders of Coach as well, Coach is doing well in South East Asia as well. With income levels rising in this region and more people seeking luxury goods, I can expect revenue from this region to expand rapidly.
    May 30, 2013. 09:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment