Lou Basenese

View Lou Basenese's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Skyworks: Q1 Call Underscores Need To Acquire Resonant [View article]
    Superconductor Technologies Inc. (SCON) was running out of money. Check the quarterly balance sheets. Selling the RESN stake was a non-dilutive way to raise more money.

For full disclosure purposes - are you short now value_seeker_2? It sure sounds like it based on the tone of your latest comments.
    Feb 22, 2015. 09:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Skyworks: Q1 Call Underscores Need To Acquire Resonant [View article]
    Fair enough. For clarity's sake, UNXL was a name we traded 3 times. The first two for 100%+ gains. The last trade was a smaller, speculative call option position that expired worthless in July 2014. I would not consider the stock again, until it starts generating revenue. I believe the partnership with Kodak increases the likelihood of that happening.

IWSY was a position entered at $0.80 and as I advised in the most recent articles, one that should be exited on a drop below $2.

As for SSNI and ITRI, I noted how the companies' IP portfolios naturally made them takeover targets. But since investing based only upon IP prompting a takeover is speculative, I rec'd a limited downside option, which will result in losses barring an announcement in the coming weeks.

Rest assured, I'm not going to simply tout my winners and run from my losers.

And while only some of my research is published on SA, none of your research is, so we have no ability to assess how well or poorly any of your ideas may have performed.
    Feb 2, 2015. 08:43 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Skyworks: Q1 Call Underscores Need To Acquire Resonant [View article]
    If SKWS accepts M4, it means they've decided to license the technology. Again, RESN won't announce M4 until it's accepted.

Risk language in S-1s are always the most conservative. You know that as well as anyone else. There is no other tech with the same potential cost savings. Any proprietary TC-SAW tech that SWKS mentioned on the call would also be more expensive.

Could SWKS decide not to license the RESN tech? Of course. But that's the main thesis here - it would be a big mistake.

At this point, everyone knows we disagree with each other. I've shared my cost basis. Share yours and we'll let the market handle it from here.
    Feb 2, 2015. 07:13 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Skyworks: Q1 Call Underscores Need To Acquire Resonant [View article]
    I've done both. I'm talking about the tech being validated. Not when revenue will be recognized.

RESN doesn't announce milestones unless they're accepted by SWKS. And SWKS won't accept M#4 unless the tech works.

From the S-1: Milestone 4 (Production-Ready Duplexer Design) — Design production-ready, fully-packaged duplexer, fabricate using the approved manufacturer, provide test results and deliver samples.

Management expects to announce the acceptance of M#4 in Q1. It's true, RESN pushed back this guidance once already. But companies adjust guidance all the time. The sooner they do it, the more credible they become.

I believe it was b/c of slower turn times at SWKS' fab. And if you've spoken with mgmt recently then you know the turn times have improved.

Given your comments, I'm assuming you're short or waiting for validation and/or revenue to enter a long position. I'm long as of September 2014. Time will tell who made the right call. Best of luck.
    Feb 1, 2015. 06:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Skyworks: Q1 Call Underscores Need To Acquire Resonant [View article]
    Value_Seeker_2 - When I said "100% validated" I was referring to milestone #4 being reached. At that point, the filter technology is validated and can be incorporated into a Skyworks RF front end.

As I said in my first article, RESN is a speculative investment. More risk-averse investors should wait until after Skyworks green lights the current
    development project for commercialization. Or until another customer is announced. Doing so, of course, will likely involve sacrificing some upside.
    Feb 1, 2015. 04:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Skyworks: Q1 Call Underscores Need To Acquire Resonant [View article]
    As I said before, I'm a generalist. No formal tech or legal background, which is why I spend so much time seeking out experts related to each opportunity to fill in the knowledge gaps. I believe 7 years worth of reading patents and following IP-related opportunities has provided a fair amount of on the job training. But I'm always learning more.

And I cover plenty of other revenue generating tech co's - DDD, FARO, APPL, AMZN, SWKS, GOOG, FB, TWTR, RENT, etc. There's just no need to publish on them here b/c so many other people do. I focus on the disruptive, pre-rev tech companies b/c they're one of the last areas of inefficiency in the market. I say that after spending 3 years researching, doing performance attribution, dissecting buy/sell disciplines, speaking with leading PM's across all asset classes while at Morgan. Obviously, the disruptive tech companies are smaller and much more risky. But it's a matter of assessing the larger growth tech trends and then identifying the individual companies with strong IP and prospects of benefiting from the trend most (top down, bottom up).

Again, while I don't have a traditional Wall Street pedigree, I'm more than happy to let my work speak for itself. I'm definitely not going to be right all the time.
    Jan 30, 2015. 07:28 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Skyworks: Q1 Call Underscores Need To Acquire Resonant [View article]
    Value_Seeker2 - I appreciate that you have a checklist of qualifications. I don't necessarily think this is a place for me to provide a CV. But I'm more than happy to speak with you (or anyone else) at their convenience and let them decide. Just message me and I'll share my contact info.

As for Linkedin, etc., I value my privacy. Given your pseudonym, it appears you can appreciate that stance.

And no congrats yet - still plenty left to play out with the investment thesis.
    Jan 29, 2015. 05:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Skyworks: Q1 Call Underscores Need To Acquire Resonant [View article]
    A few points - at the time of the IPO, the technology was not as far down the development curve as it is now. Getting through Milestone 3 was the key technology risk. No reason for SWKS to buy before that.

As far as my qualifications, I worked at Morgan Stanley before I started providing independent research (you can read my bio). I will readily admit I'm a generalist first. Then, I specialize when the opportunity warrants it.

In terms of Resonant, I spent close to 2 yrs tracking it's progress and over 100 hours of research, including reading every single patent, contacting industry experts, management, institutional investors, etc.

All that work led me to invest in both RESN and SWKS and write a 23-page report on RESN for my clients.

I agree there are risks involved. But I believe the potential rewards outweigh them. As I said in my article, I'm long and have not sold a single share. If RESN fails, I'll own it.
    Jan 29, 2015. 02:25 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Skyworks: Q1 Call Underscores Need To Acquire Resonant [View article]
    Venture capitalists can be vultures. Not every company wants to go that route, nor do they need to. Insiders wanted to maintain significant ownership and control, which isn't possible going the traditional VC route. Like Scot1and said above - insiders purchased additional shares when given the chance. They own more than 15% of the company.

I can appreciate not wanting to buy a company pre-revenue. It's risky. However, it also means sacrificing the first phase of appreciation, as the company successfully transitions from development stage to commercialization.

Once RESN starts generating rev, the opportunity is significantly de-risked and still will have plenty of room to run given the size of the market - 20 billion filters in 2015 growing to 35 billion in 2017 (Navian).
    Jan 29, 2015. 07:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • ImageWare Systems - The Pinocchio Of Small Caps [View article]
    SeekinT - Here's what I wrote back in a SA article in Sept.:

"I've been recommending the stock since March 2012, when it traded hands for less than $1. At this point in time, investors should look to protect their profits by setting a protective stop at $2 or higher, depending on your individual risk tolerance."

Jan 29, 2015. 07:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Skyworks: Q1 Call Underscores Need To Acquire Resonant [View article]
    I think it's important to clarify. The immediate opportunity w/ SWKS is for 1 band, so it's not 1 billion units. But it's still very significant.

As CFO John Philpott said on Ascendiant's Management Discussions Series, the volumes could be in the “multi hundreds of millions.”

And the good news is Resonant expects to be able to recognize the revenue right away. Terms apparently require customers to report volumes one week after the end of the quarter.
    Jan 28, 2015. 01:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Skyworks: Q1 Call Underscores Need To Acquire Resonant [View article]
    Minnesota_Steve - You're right, there are clear milestones, which I included a graphic of above. You can read more about in the SEC filings.

But there is not a predetermined acquisition price for any or all of RESN. SWKS also gets no ownership of the IP. They get limited exclusivity to the band in question.

Milestone 4 is expected to be announced this quarter, which makes the situation more urgent.
    Jan 28, 2015. 12:07 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Please Help Us Pick Outstanding Performance Award Winners For January [View article]
    I'm nominating Keubiko for his call on DSNY. We're often on the opposite side of trades. He was definitely on the right side with this one...

Jan 5, 2015. 08:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Skyworks: The Explosive Growth Catalyst Management Can't Talk About [View article]
    Thanks, Cliftonhill. You're absolutely right that exclusivity is limited. I've gotten conflicting reports on the length and more importantly, when the clock starts ticking (upon signing of original agmt, after completion, etc.). Once I get credible confirmation, I'll be sure to share.
    Dec 8, 2014. 10:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ImageWare Systems - The Pinocchio Of Small Caps [View article]
    Yes. I'm back from holiday and will be putting together an update this week.
    Dec 1, 2014. 04:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment