Lowell Herr

View Lowell Herr's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Swensen's 6 ETF Portfolio [View article]
    We will not be holding DBC so long as it under performs SHY.

Oct 7, 2014. 07:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Swensen's 6 ETF Portfolio [View article]
    Check out this momentum adaptation to the Swensen Six portfolio.

Oct 7, 2014. 08:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Swensen 6 Portfolio: ETFs To Remove From Portfolio [View article]
    Investors interested in the Swensen Six portfolio will find this adaptation of the SS appealing.

Oct 7, 2014. 08:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Latest Tests From The Feynman Study [View instapost]
    Correct. There are domestic and international bond ETFs that are still outperforming SHY. VYM, a dividend oriented ETF is still hanging tough as are treasuries such as TLT.

Oct 6, 2014. 06:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Latest Tests From The Feynman Study [View instapost]
    Try this link.

Many blog posts related to The Feynman Study are protected for Platinum members only.

Oct 6, 2014. 02:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Swensen 6 Portfolio: ETFs To Remove From Portfolio [View article]
    Igor,

The spreadsheets are only available through my blog. Check this link.

Sep 16, 2014. 06:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Swensen 6 Portfolio: ETFs To Remove From Portfolio [View article]
    Yes, VEA is currently out of the portfolio and has been for several weeks.

Sep 16, 2014. 05:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 9 Dividend Aristocrats Reward Investors [View article]
    Varan,

The performance of TLT may be an outlier due to falling interest rates going back many years. It seems highly unlikely this stellar performance will soon be repeated by TLT.

What happens if TLT is removed from these example portfolios and replaced with something similar?

Sep 4, 2014. 12:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 9 Dividend Aristocrats Reward Investors [View article]
    Yes, it is total return for all comparisons.

Sep 3, 2014. 01:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 9 Dividend Aristocrats Reward Investors [View article]
    Just for interest I ran five-year comparisons of the nine (9) Dividend Aristocrats with VTI. Four fell behind VTI, four performed better than VTI, and one matched VTI.

Sep 3, 2014. 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investors: Do They Have A Point Or Is It Too Close To Call? [View article]
    Here is a simple, yet globally diversified portfolio that might appeal to conservative investors. With a little tweaking one could move the yield up to 3%.

Sep 3, 2014. 08:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bob,

Thanks for answering my question directly.

As for a lower pullback, I agree. I've run some correlations using Dividend Aristocrats (DA) and broad index funds and I find it surprising how many times DA stocks carry a rather low correlation with the index fund or index ETF.

BTW, I've held several DAs in the portfolios I track so I am not a complete naysayer. (g)

Sep 3, 2014. 07:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Bob,

I agree - you were correct to reject the advice provided by the advisors as they were much too conservative in my opinion. I am not a fan of bonds and I have my own story.

I was not able to discern your answer to my question as to how long you have been a dividend growth investor. If you prefer not to answer, that is OK.

Sep 3, 2014. 07:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom,

If VTSMX is a plausible benchmark for DG stocks then we don't need to worry about its volatility or yield. One comment about volatility. It is generally measured by standard deviation of the or the amount of variation from the mean. As investors, we are only concerned about the variation from the mean to the downside, not variation to the upside. Variation to the upside is what we all desire. One correction. While I am in a saving mode I want the market to decline so I can purchase more shares at a lower price. (vbg)

As for owning only VTSMX, it provides broad diversification across the U.S. Equities market, but I agree, it still leaves gaping holes in a what one hopes is a well-diversified portfolio.

Sep 3, 2014. 07:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    As well you should be pleased with the results.

How many years have you been a DGI?

Sep 2, 2014. 07:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment