Marc Gerstein

View Marc Gerstein's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Mr. Market Is Not Undervaluing Apple [View article]
    End of article:

" . . . . requiring further examination of why Mr. Market is talking out of two sides of his mouth. I'll address that in my next article.

Prior comment I posted in the thread:

"I'm working on my next article, the one on the margin issue, and in the interest of getting that submitted to Seeking Alpha as quickly as possible -- later this evening or, more likely, tomorrow -- I'm going to hold off on responding to any comment at this time."

Rayboy's comment:

"it seems to me that, by failing to consider Aapl's extraordinary margins, your discussion of price/sales ratios vs low pe companies is incomplete at best. "

And people (including Rayboy) wonder about a condescending tone.

Oh well. Ya gotta love the internet and anonymous postings!
    Jan 27 01:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mr. Market Is Not Undervaluing Apple [View article]
    "about iTunes do not mesh nor provide any insight other than the facts that the author is not tech savvy and may be using a really old vers of it. "

Nah . . . it's fun. I should have done it much sooner.

"I made a friendly wager on 2/7/11 in an AAPl article that PM would provide a higher return than AAPL at the END of 15 years. (dividends included, taxes excluded). "

Many here will have no comprehension at all of the significance of this remark (although there are some Likes, so some get it). Actually, though, many would do well to think about. No matter how much anyone might love AAPL, there are lots of other stocks out there worth investing in; it's not AAPL or nothing.
    Jan 27 01:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget The Value Angle, Apple Is A Pure Growth Play [View article]

Actually, I'm using a current version, and at an Apple Store, they could offer no solution other than the one I figured out for myself (to toast the old user name and password and replace them, that, by the way, being the same solution someone else I know was given by Apple customer support). So perhaps I do lack tech savvy; i.e. I'm as weak as the folks who work for Apple.
    Jan 27 12:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget The Value Angle, Apple Is A Pure Growth Play [View article]
    You realize, don't you, that the term Mr. Market was coined by Ben Graham and popularized more broadly by Warren Buffett. If you have a problem with that pedigree, then you have a problem.

I addressed the fanboy label elsewhere in this thread.
    Jan 27 12:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget The Value Angle, Apple Is A Pure Growth Play [View article]
    "When we normalize, we have to understand, identify and then define the parameters with which we are normalizing data or arguments."

And people accuse me of being obtuse! I don;t know what the heck you're talking about, but you're my kind of guy or gal (hard to tell with a name like "hybris," although I do enjoy your choice of name)
    Jan 27 12:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget The Value Angle, Apple Is A Pure Growth Play [View article]
    "Perhaps none of this means anything to you"

I wouldn't say that, but when writing an article on SA on Apple knowing that it won't toe the part line, it's best to just relax, have fun, and let the rants fall where they may.
    Jan 27 12:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget The Value Angle, Apple Is A Pure Growth Play [View article]
    "When the words "Apple Fanboy" jumped out at me several times, I couldn't be bothered to read this article, because I already know that it will be biased."

Fair enough. The article, and the first one, was aimed at people who would like to think seriously about the stock, not at "fanboys."

I also understand you don't like the word, one which I did not invent and has been in very widespread use on SA. Seriously, though, how is it possible for anybody to read the comments here or in response to the first article (not to mention many other parts of SA) without recognizing the genuine existence of the phenomenon the "fanboy" label seeks to describe. Heck, just consider the notion of a person who actually registers for a web site and selects, as a user name "Long AAPL." How weird is that!
    Jan 27 12:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget The Value Angle, Apple Is A Pure Growth Play [View article]
    "I have friends up to 85 years of age who own both Kindle and IPad. They are not mutually rexclusive"

I have Kindle and iPad, and I'm not even 85.

"It is those know-all been-around "analysts" like you who are functionally illeterate on new tech and new science that kept Apple valuation down. Year after year, you old forks continued saying that it can not grow."

And people wonder why I use a term like "fanboy." I rest my case.
    Jan 27 12:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget The Value Angle, Apple Is A Pure Growth Play [View article]
    "Steve can no more be removed from Apple than Newton or Einstein can be removed from Physics."

Time will tell . . . when we finally reach the stage of seeing AAPL products that have zero actual connection with Jobs.

"Your issue with iTunes is probably a user issue more than anything else though I'm sure it can and will get more refined over time."

One would hope . . . but it would seem odd to pair such spectacularly refined hardware with such a slovenly software platform. Hence the savant label . . . which I'm surprised didn't draw ire among commenters. Maybe they'll get around to it.

"Sure, Apple costs a little more but ultimately you get what you pay for."

But is what you pay for something more than a few really care about?

"I think the ferocity of the fanboys can just be chocked up to them having to endure endless idiotic articles from supposed experts. "

Maybe. Maybe not. But FWIW, I disagree on the chicken-and-egg sequence.
    Jan 27 12:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget The Value Angle, Apple Is A Pure Growth Play [View article]
    Yes, I noticed that and don't usually write this much, although I do often write longer articles than many. Actually, this was the second part of an overall presentation and some in the first article took umbrage at my not having put everything into one article. Go figure I think when writing about Apple on SA, it's best to just do your thing and don't worry about the reaction because no matter what one writes, rage will result.
    Jan 27 12:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Official: Mr. Market Believes Apple's Growth Story Is Over [View article]
    "Don't agree - the two are not mutually exclusive"

They absolutely positively are mutually exclusive and if you value your financial well being, you'd better come around . . . unless you don;t care about the market and are just trolling here (hard to say with anonymous types, especially those whose bios say "Love Casinos."

"You've got to know a company inside out before investing in it and there is no better starting point than using their (Apples) brilliantly creative products."

I've had an iPod since the nan first came out (am now on an iPod Classic b/c I want the mega-memory to hold all my stuff) and IO have a 3-G 32Gig iPad which I use daily. Will be dumping my Blackberry soon and haven't yet decided on iPhone vs Droid.
    Jan 25 04:54 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mr. Market Is Not Undervaluing Apple [View article]
    Hi all,

I certainly welcome and will read comments here on any aspect of this topic. But as indicated in the last sentence, this is unfinished business. I'm working on my next article, the one on the margin issue, and in the interest of getting that submitted to Seeking Alpha as quickly as possible -- later this evening or, more likely, tomorrow -- I'm going to hold off on responding to any comment at this time. (I did not expect the editorial turnaround to be as fast as it was and thought I'd have time to finish article number 2 before article number 1 went live.)
    Jan 25 04:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "You don't start counting until the fighter goes down. "

Cool analogy. Permit me to extend it a bit: We must refrain from counting until the fighter goes down, but if we're going to make real-money bets on an in-progress fight, it makes sense to evaluate the staying power of the still-at-work fighter as best we can.

I'm intrigued by your statement in your profile that you are "interested in why societies and economies work, and why they don't." In terms of this particular society (the world of investing), things break down very quickly when participants lose sight of the proper questions and confuse liking a company with liking its stock. One who loves Apple can and should own a Mac book, an iPod, and iPhone, and iPad, etc. Loving the stock is an entirely different ballgame.
    Jan 25 03:12 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I hope you'll find interesting things there. Later today or tomorrow morning, you should find a new article on AAPL valuation metrics. That will be followed by one discussing margins.
    Jan 25 02:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I just submitted an article focusing more closely on the valuation metrics with a follow-up on the margin issue likely to be submitted tomorrow.
    Jan 25 02:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment