Marc Gordon

View Marc Gordon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 3 Takeaways From W.P. Carey's Second Quarter Earnings [View article]
    Reuben, thanks for another helpful summary. I agree that WPC is "a different kind of REIT" which is why it so nicely complements my holdings in O and NNN. WPC has great management that plans for the long haul rather than the just the next quarter.
    Aug 31, 2015. 05:02 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • National Health Investors Lost Its CEO But Gained A New Shareholder [View article]
    Brad, thanks for this excellent article. Also, I found your comments regarding NHI versus DOC and MPW very illuminating. One minor suggestion is that when you use jargon such as RIDEA, that you include a sentence to explain what it is. Something like: "RIDEA stands for REIT Investment Diversification and Empowerment Act, which allows REITs to participate in the actual net operating income, as long as there is an involved third party manager." Explaining jargon in a short manner improves the clarity of the article for those of us who are not experts in the REIT field.
    Aug 25, 2015. 06:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Strange REIT Price Movements And How To Play Them [View article]
    Dane, thanks for your great articles! I agree with you, and I picked up a position in WSR this morning when it hit $11.50.
    Aug 24, 2015. 02:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Strange REIT Price Movements And How To Play Them [View article]
    If you are buying value REITs, what do you think about small cap CORR, BRG, WSR, and DOC, that are getting incredibly cheap? Although they are a little further out on the risk curve, at these prices I am being sorely tempted to jump on these!
    Aug 22, 2015. 02:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seritage Growth Properties: The Sears REIT [View article]
    I am surprised that this article states "there's a lot to like about the potential the future holds here." Sears and Kmart have been in decline for decades. They have both been closing locations more or less continuously throughout that period, and I have seen some of these past stores remain vacant for many, many years, with fences around them and weeds growing through the parking lot pavement, because they are very expensive to repurpose, are frequently very old, and are often in less desirable locations. Very few X-gens or Millennials would be caught dead in these stores. The brands are wounded beyond repair, have sold almost every asset that had value (now including their land), and will continue to close stores. This REIT has potential in one direction, and that is to decline in value.
    Aug 22, 2015. 02:19 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is It Time To Capitalize On Mispriced Shares Of Medical Properties Trust? [View article]
    Brad, great interview, but it strikes me as poor form to ask a question in the headline and then not give your take on the answer in the article. So, are you capitalizing on mispriced shares of Medical Properties Trust and buying more shares?
    Aug 17, 2015. 01:14 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vereit: ARCP's New Name And 3 Takeaways From The Q2 Conference Call [View article]
    Reuben, thanks for this synopsis of the ARCP Q2 Conference Call, it is very helpful. I look forward to reading your ARCP "3 Takeaways" next quarter.
    Aug 11, 2015. 10:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bluerock Residential Pays 8.5%, Should I Buy It? [View article]
    Brad, while this is not a SWAN REIT, when a REIT with as few warts as BRG gets to a yield of 10% (as it has several times in the last few days) I think it shows that it is being mispriced. If one has a small portion of a portfolio for more speculative REITs, it is now time to buy BRG.
    Aug 10, 2015. 02:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whitestone REIT Is Now Yielding 8.9% [View article]
    Brad, thanks for this interesting follow-up on WSR. Can you let us know what it means when they state that WSR said it will contribute the net proceeds to its operating partnership in exchange for units of limited partnership interest in the operating partnership? What is the role of the limited versus operating partnership, and how does this affect common stockholders like us?

Separately, have you personally purchased WSR yet?
    Aug 1, 2015. 02:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CorEnergy Executes The Most Accretive REIT Transaction Of 2015 [View article]
    Dane, thanks for this article, I agree with you and established a half-position when CORR hit $6.07. It is more speculative than most of my REITs, but with more potential for capital gains and a great dividend while I wait.

On a separate topic, I am interested in what you think of TIER REIT, Inc., a Dallas-based real estate investment trust, which is going to list its shares of common stock on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) on July 23, 2015 under the ticker symbol "TIER"?
    Jul 16, 2015. 09:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Meet The Mastermind Behind This REIT Merger [View article]
    Brad, continuing the discussion of RETI IPOs, what do you think of TIER REIT, Inc., a Dallas-based real estate investment trust, which is going to list its shares of common stock on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) on July 23, 2015 under the ticker symbol "TIER"?
    Jul 16, 2015. 09:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This REIT Is Backed By Cyber Security Properties [View article]
    dar43054, contributors write their own profiles. I chose to use first person in my SA profile because I do not consider finance my profession (I am a recognized expert in a different field, and my bio is written in third person for publications in that field). It is recommended by experts that biographical information always be written in the third person. Writing in the third person will makes a bio sound more objective – like it’s been written by someone else – which can be useful in a formal setting.

Jul 14, 2015. 02:38 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This REIT Is Backed By Cyber Security Properties [View article]
    So we have here a REIT that cut its dividend from $1.65 in 2011 to $1.10 in 2012, has not increased its dividend in a few years, and is still run by the same CEO (Roger A. Waesche, Jr.) who presided over this poor dividend history. Regardless of whether it "appears" that the company may now be beginning to ramp up profits, until it shows some history of consistent dividend increases, I will consider COPT a dog of a REIT.
    Jul 14, 2015. 02:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pound-For-Pound Apollo's 10.5% Yield Is The Best In Town [View article]
    Interesting article. Since almost a third of ARI's portfolio is fixed rate, what happens to ARI's value and dividend as interest rates slowly increase over the next couple of years?
    Jul 10, 2015. 12:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget The Underdog, CorEnergy Is A Cinderella Story [View article]
    Brad, thanks for this informative article. I agree that there is a lot of upside potential here, and I bought in when it hit $6.07/share. I also could not resist the 8.9% yield. I always appreciate being well compensated while I wait for a growth story to play out.
    Jun 24, 2015. 05:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment