Mark Bern, CFA

View Mark Bern, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Swine Flu, MERS, Ebola And Medical News Concentrator September October 18, 2014 To ???.  [View instapost]
    Sounds feasible, Maya. So, after profit-taking clears might be a good time to nibble?
    Dec 23, 2014. 11:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #276, November 27, 2014 [View instapost]
    Maya - Very cute! Fast acting and long lasting. Are you sure it is a car commercial?
    Dec 23, 2014. 01:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    RE: KYTH

Doing a pretty good rock imitation today; down $1.95 or 5.63% for the day. it is also down 16% from its recent high near $39 to $32.69 last. at 10.39 a.m.

No news!
    Dec 23, 2014. 10:39 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #276, November 27, 2014 [View instapost]
    Happy Holidays to everyone! Enjoy your week, MJ!
    Dec 22, 2014. 03:38 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #276, November 27, 2014 [View instapost]
    WT - Totally agree with your assessment of why Swiss CB made the move. But I don't think it is just Russians investing money; negative interest rates on Germany bonds have also occurred, although that was the market deciding rather than a gov't. So, I am thinking that there are investors across Europe trying to protect their cash rather than chase yield. That doesn't send a message that the market expects things to get better anytime soon.

I'm just trying to figure out what the bond markets are trying to tell us. Lower yields usually portend lower expected total returns from risky assets; and the bond market is usually right.

But for now, equities are soaring so we'll just keep riding until the party ends. LOL!
    Dec 18, 2014. 05:14 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #276, November 27, 2014 [View instapost]
    WT - It makes one wonder what they know that our leaders are not telling us, doesn't it?

I mean, why would anyone seek safety by guaranteeing a loss on investments if everything was going to be just fine?

I suspect that those seeking safety are doing so out of fear of deflation. EZ is on the edge, Japan has been in and out for past 25 years and US is growing at an anemic pace. Could we follow EZ and Japan? Our demographics seem to indicate that we may not be far behind. Can the Fed beat a major swing in demographics? That's the big question to me. I know it will try, but the Fed's track record since inception has not been stellar so my confidence going forward is not extremely high; a little hopeful, but certainly not euphoric.
    Dec 18, 2014. 12:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    No options available - too bad!
    Dec 17, 2014. 11:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Time To Hedge Is Now! December 2014 Update - Part II [View article]
    Dennis - Yes, thank you. Hurrying does not work well for me. I'll edit it right away!
    Dec 17, 2014. 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Time To Hedge Is Now! December 2014 Update - Part II [View article]
    DivyitUp - You are exactly right. This is Part II and I think that was included in Part I. If not, it is definitely emphasized in the first article of the series which I would hope everyone would read before trying to use the strategy.

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll go back and verify the numbers again and make the edits where needed later this evening.
    Dec 16, 2014. 09:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #276, November 27, 2014 [View instapost]
    Another thought along these same lines is to look up Berkshire Hathaway annual reports and read Buffett's annual letter to stockholders. They were informative and entertaining at the same time, especially back in the 70's through the 90's. There was always something worth learning in each one and humor sprinkled in for good measure.
    Dec 16, 2014. 04:29 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Time To Hedge Is Now! December 2014 Update - Part II [View article]
    IncomeYield - Thanks for the supportive comment. Decreasing fear and risk is exactly the idea of this strategy.
    Dec 16, 2014. 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #276, November 27, 2014 [View instapost]
    If what you hear is true this could be another mess needing taxpayer cleanup. And it could add some stress to financial institutions, but not so much unless they hold the junk (not likely). But the question is: could investors running for the doors to unload junk bonds and funds create a contagion that spreads to other corp bonds or equities? Not suggesting anything, just thinking in print.
    Dec 15, 2014. 10:29 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #276, November 27, 2014 [View instapost]
    jakurtz - I think I would like to know more about the maturity dates of debt tranches. $153.5 million in cash looks good until compared to the $593.3 million in LT debt. LT means anything over 1 year. SN has been burning through cash raised mainly through stock offerings until it borrowed the $569 million last year. It does look interesting but I'd want to know the terms of latest borrowing before going in too deep. Just saying...
    But on the flip side I would also want to know how much production is hedged and for how long.
    Good luck!
    Dec 15, 2014. 10:23 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #276, November 27, 2014 [View instapost]
    Still waiting patiently for CBI to bottom; I've been tempted before but am glad I waited. Great play on natgas exporting. Also looking to pick up some natgas companies when this "energy" sell off finds a level and stabilizes. It seems obvious that natgas will rise when exporting begins. Then U.S. will be competing on price with global markets to a certain extent. World prices may fall some, but U.S. prices should rise for the two to meet somewhere in the middle; higher than current U.S. prices.
    Dec 11, 2014. 04:39 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hindenburg Omen Issues Biggest Cluster In Years - Let's See What Happens Next! [View instapost]
    The market is definitely not healthy! Thanks for the reminder, DG!
    Dec 10, 2014. 06:40 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment