Mark Bern, CFA

View Mark Bern, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Swine Flu, MERS, Ebola And Medical News Concentrator August 16, 2014 To ??? [View instapost]
    Good story, Guns. I understand the point about brandy having lived in northern Wisconsin for a couple of years. They like their brandy up there. I think someone told me that if you subtract the brandy consumption of Wisconsin from the total consumption of the U.S. and compare Wisconsin with global consumption of countries, Wisconsin used to rank 5th in the world. It helps fight off cold symptoms; or at least that is what they told me.
    Aug 21 10:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    121 new deaths reported today in one day. Last report was yesterday. I suspect that all were not reported yesterday and some carried over into today's total. Even if we average the two reporting periods the average deaths per day over the last 5 days is still the highest yet at 41/day. Congo is not included, of course, since those are not considered linked to Ebola.
    Aug 21 07:38 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    My highest point was Blanca Peak in Colorado; we used to live about 35 miles from the base. Nothing technical to it, just a very long steep hike and a little climbing at the end (about the last 400 ft). We went up mid August and got caught in a small sleet storm that turned into snow. It's really better to make it a 2-day hike as we couldn't spend hardly any time at the top because it was already mid-afternoon and we needed to get back down before sundown. We started the day before 6 a.m. at the base.

If anyone wants to go up there consider it a two-day excursion. Camp at 12,000 feet in the flat meadow just below the talus leading up to the peak. Getting to the peak before noon is important because clouds usually form in the afternoon almost every day year-round.
    Aug 20 03:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yeah, they're totally out of my league. I've never been up anything over 14,320 ft. on a climb.
    Aug 19 08:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I took off the mask but did a shot from a distance. I am near the base with a couple of friends. Photo is from 5 miles out. Just kidding.
    Aug 19 05:42 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I sense sarcasm from you, as well. I hope you realize that mine was intended in the same vein.
    Aug 18 11:14 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Guns - The world economy is too fragile and Ebola cannot be allowed to disrupt commerce because if that happened the rich would suddenly become less so.
    Aug 18 06:09 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks, Doc. I appreciate the clarification.
    Aug 18 04:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rattie - You mentioned earlier that you suspect that Ebola may now be contracted through airborne methods. I had to think about that and here's what I came up with (maybe someone with better medical knowledge can correct me):

When someone sneezes often some bodily fluids are launched into the air from either the mouth or nose. Those tiny particles remain airborne for only a short time unless they attach to dust particles (even then the weight draws the combined particles downward, but potentially more slowly). But those particles or droplets land on surfaces that can be touched by others' hands, etc. If the hands with the emitted body fluids contacts someone's nose, eye, or mouth interiors the virus can enter the body. Alternatively, if anyone is close enough to the infected person when they do sneeze, the tiny droplets can enter directly through eyes, ears, nose or mouth; breathing in the virus could be a form of airborne transmission. Finally, if a person sneezes near an "intake" vent of a buildings HVAC system, it is possible for the combined dust/droplets to be carried throughout the building to other rooms and taken in by others; again with the virus-containing particles landing on something or someone and being transmitted by hand to eye, ear, nose or mouth or merely by being breathed in by an unsuspecting victim.

I am just wondering if anyone in this thread has enough medical knowledge to explain why this could or could not be true. I am hoping that I am wrong and would very much appreciate being corrected; if the virus is too large to be carried in that way or if it dies too quickly if left outside its host for these scenarios to have any merit, or...
    Aug 18 03:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Great link! Thank you. A lot of startling info but the one sentence that really got my attention was, "Some treatment facilities are overflowing; all beds are occupied and patients are being turned away."

When turned away, where do patients go and with whom do they come into contact? Now that's scary!
    Aug 18 03:30 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I hope I'm wrong and that efforts to control this outbreak get on the front burner of governments globally. Until it does, no one is safe.
    Aug 18 12:13 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    This may be the tipping point that we will look back on as the point at which those in charge who may have thought they had control completely lost control. If only a few infected people make it to Lagos and infect others before being identified... it could be game over. Lagos has over 20 million inhabitants and severs as a major air transportation hub. It also is home to many multi-nationals' facilities and foreign workers. An outbreak would cause companies to close operations and bring their people home. If only a few of those going home are infected but still in the incubation phase it could get ugly worldwide fast. Just saying...
    Aug 18 12:09 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Swine Flu, MERS, Ebola And Medical News Concentrator June 7, 2014 To August 16, 2014 [View instapost]
    I totally agree on the point that there are inadequate (if any) measures being taken to control the spread.

If it is airborne, then we are all in a lot of trouble. If that turns out to be true I would sell any and all ag-related stocks. Demand for food could drop significantly if this thing spreads beyond Africa in any extensively onto other continents.
    Aug 18 12:03 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    That's why I like fiction! LOL
    Aug 18 11:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BTW, the average deaths per day moved up again over the last two days to 38.0. The biggest increase this time came from Liberia: 58 in 2 days compared to 32 in the previous 2 days.

Sorry to be so gruesome with the data.
    Aug 16 01:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment