Mark Bern, CFA

View Mark Bern, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    Calif. Dream Home only $695,000!

Apr 23, 2015. 12:02 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    LT - I also use Yahoo as my portal and for email. I have become very adroit at using the spam filters on my email account and it has worked quite well. I now rarely get an unsolicited email offer. On the news front, I agree wholeheartedly. That is why I use it for my sports coverage mostly and am pleased by some of the articles they bring me that I would otherwise probably miss. Regarding politics and investing, I would agree that Yahoo is pretty worthless.
    Apr 23, 2015. 11:55 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    HTL - Both are definitely must reads for perspective. No one knows the timing, but understanding the potential that "could" unfold is important.
    Apr 22, 2015. 01:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    Maya - Good article. Thanks for the link.
    Apr 22, 2015. 01:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    Be careful in reading the headlines! These two short articles are both about KO and each tells a very different tale. The first, one of only two with this theme, compares KO's Q1 results with year ago; prognosis here is that the decline in earnings is less than in previous quarters but still down. The other one, of which there are a plethora of similar articles, fails to mention y/o/y results and focuses solely on KO beating expectations and sequential data to make things look rosy. The Wall Street media machine tends to push out tons of the later with the idea that it can make the former harder to notice.

Beating expectation of earnings declines y/o/y does not give me a lot of confidence in the strength of this economy. I am not trying to predict anything bad; just saying to make sure you look at y/o/y results rather than just the simple "beat." This is only a cautionary post. Be careful out there and do your own dd, as always.

Apr 22, 2015. 10:48 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    DG - I doubt that we have a reciprocal agreement on patents with Iran, so unless this technology is patented elsewhere within a country with which we have such an agreement, there may be no problem with creating it here (legally, that is).

I am sure that Iranian companies do not honor US patents either. Last time I checked the Chinese are pretty sketchy in this area, too. And the list goes on...
    Apr 21, 2015. 01:14 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    SHB - Good point! My thinking also. My minimal understanding of physics tells me that this would have to break a law or two.

As to the reports of disabled ships: can we really trust the source? Looks likely to be one that could make things up and report them as factual evidence to support their views, to me.

OTOH, I don't trust our government to report events like that to the general public because of the panic it would create.

OTOOH, If it were possible I suspect we'd have it in our arsenal very quickly. Our defense industry can spot a money maker when they see it and the scientists they employ are not idiots.
    Apr 21, 2015. 12:51 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    SHB - That would do it! But these types of events are impossible to predict, timing wise, so who knows if it will happen in our lifetimes?
    Apr 21, 2015. 12:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Swine Flu, MERS, Ebola And Medical News Concentrator January 1, 2015 To ?? [View instapost]
    Those are the same two that are being used in combination with laser surgery that I mentioned to Maya a couple weeks or so ago. BMY has some potential block busters with these two, imho. Combined with Varians laser surgery the success rate is even higher from what I understand.
    Apr 20, 2015. 07:34 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]

This is the link provided within the link from DG. It is an Executive Order signed by BO. After reading it, it seems to me that it contains sanctions against Iran & Syria for human rights abuses; specifically for disrupting and monitoring communications of their citizens (like what gov't would do such a thing?).

It also seems to prohibit trade with those nations in areas of technology. I guess that is what blocks us from using the tech.

That's my interpretation. Have a peak if you like. Pretty dry, though.
    Apr 20, 2015. 07:30 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Guns: Not Funny!
    Apr 20, 2015. 05:21 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    Pretty good swarm in southern Europe, too. Smaller ones but a lot. Not unusual, though, for that region I suppose.
    Apr 19, 2015. 11:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    I decided not to take sides and exited my short-term positions in EUO and UUP for a small profit on each. No time to be gambling unless you have a strong conviction as to the outcome. Even then, it needs to be based upon good data. This seems like new territory wherein data does not exist to tell the story's end.
    Apr 17, 2015. 09:44 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Very cool!
    Apr 16, 2015. 11:06 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quickchat #279, March 19, 2015 [View instapost]
    Probably, but did not see it. It seems that those who teach about capital allocation (Universities) tend to do the worst job of it. Most universities seem to be run more like a gov't entity; assume that rates can always rise to pay for whatever they want to offer (and pay).
    Apr 16, 2015. 04:37 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment