Mark Bern, CFA

View Mark Bern, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Swine Flu, MERS, Ebola And Medical News Concentrator January 1, 2015 To ?? [View instapost]
    Those are the same two that are being used in combination with laser surgery that I mentioned to Maya a couple weeks or so ago. BMY has some potential block busters with these two, imho. Combined with Varians laser surgery the success rate is even higher from what I understand.
    Apr 20, 2015. 07:34 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]

This is the link provided within the link from DG. It is an Executive Order signed by BO. After reading it, it seems to me that it contains sanctions against Iran & Syria for human rights abuses; specifically for disrupting and monitoring communications of their citizens (like what gov't would do such a thing?).

It also seems to prohibit trade with those nations in areas of technology. I guess that is what blocks us from using the tech.

That's my interpretation. Have a peak if you like. Pretty dry, though.
    Apr 20, 2015. 07:30 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    Guns: Not Funny!
    Apr 20, 2015. 05:21 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    Pretty good swarm in southern Europe, too. Smaller ones but a lot. Not unusual, though, for that region I suppose.
    Apr 19, 2015. 11:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    I decided not to take sides and exited my short-term positions in EUO and UUP for a small profit on each. No time to be gambling unless you have a strong conviction as to the outcome. Even then, it needs to be based upon good data. This seems like new territory wherein data does not exist to tell the story's end.
    Apr 17, 2015. 09:44 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #280, April 16, 2015 [View instapost]
    Very cool!
    Apr 16, 2015. 11:06 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quickchat #279, March 19, 2015 [View instapost]
    Probably, but did not see it. It seems that those who teach about capital allocation (Universities) tend to do the worst job of it. Most universities seem to be run more like a gov't entity; assume that rates can always rise to pay for whatever they want to offer (and pay).
    Apr 16, 2015. 04:37 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quickchat #279, March 19, 2015 [View instapost]
    Maya - Understand the feeling. I have trouble making myself chase a stock no matter how much I like it. Sometimes I find later that I wish I had pulled the trigger and other times I find myself happy that I did not.
    Apr 15, 2015. 12:36 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quickchat #279, March 19, 2015 [View instapost]
    Industrial production down more than expected.

Apr 15, 2015. 12:34 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quickchat #279, March 19, 2015 [View instapost]
    I didn't see the piece but suspect that O'Leary was arguing that we need to fund more of the curriculums (for jobs) that the economy needs with taxpayer money and not use taxpayer money for those that probably won't lead to jobs that enable the student to repay the loans.

The problem with that is that so many would never be able to follow their dreams. OTOH, it does make sense from a purely economic sense.
    Apr 15, 2015. 11:34 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Good news on the improvements, LT. Stay strong and positive!
    Apr 14, 2015. 12:25 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Bull? [View article]
    Maybe someone will get an official name change and get a little air time before someone explains the mistake. And then we would never hear of it again; as if it never happened.
    Apr 13, 2015. 08:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quickchat #279, March 19, 2015 [View instapost]
    DG - "...at some price of course there is always more"

I think that applies to most resources. We had peak oil and then we found more because the price got high enough to make recovery economically feasible. Same will happen with silver, gold, copper, etc. But who will be able to afford the higher prices and for what use? Demand will be constrained for some commodities if the price rises too much. We will find substitutes for those commodities that become too pricey. All will work itself out unless the gov'ts of the world decide to help.
    Apr 13, 2015. 05:30 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Bull? [View article]
    WSD - I could not find any reference to Nostradamus predicting WW3 in 2015. I did, however, find that he predicted a collapse of the world economy in 2015.
    Apr 13, 2015. 05:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Quickchat #279, March 19, 2015 [View instapost]
    Worldwide asset bubble due to the QE by ECB and other central banks? Not saying anything is ready to pop yet; these things can continue to grow for much longer than seems possible. But, it could just be the beginning of the last hurrah! Maybe. Or maybe CBs really have figured out how to control the economies of the world and how to avoid recessions forever. Or maybe not. Time will tell.
    Apr 13, 2015. 12:57 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment