Mark Gomes

View Mark Gomes' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Glu Mobile And Aerogrow Jumped 20%+ On Wednesday… What's Next? [View instapost]
    I agree with the wiz. AERO brings product synergies and, more importantly, a better-known brand and established distribution channels, which SMG is aiding (and can eventually leverage to quickly ramp the success of its related acquisitions).
    Apr 5, 2015. 02:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coming Out Of Hiding [View instapost]
    This will be discussed in this week's RESEARCH newsletter. Stay tuned. http://bit.ly/UsrzTN
    Mar 25, 2015. 11:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JAKKS Pacific beats by $0.04, beats on revenue [View news story]
    I've said it many times before... The short-term movements of stocks are based on supply, demand, and human psychology. The market has proven time and again that these things are impossible to predict with consistency, which is why we have to focus on fundamentals instead of short-term stock movements.

Many people "buy the rumor and sell the news". We have seen GLUU, AERO, and MATR rally ahead of earnings. Post-earnings, GLUU rallied, MATR rallied (despite losing its CFO and "missing" EPS by 2-cents) which was astounding, but the right move, and AERO (which delivered a monster number) sold off, albeit after a huge run ahead of the announcement. No rhymes; no reason.

However, anyone who understands fundamentals also understands that yesterday's move in JAKK was irrational (not to be so confused with surprising). Not surprisingly, B. Riley looked purely at the fundamentals and upgraded the stock to a buy this morning with an $8 price target… a buck higher than it was before announcing earnings.

It all goes to show that a lot of investors don't know how to listen to an earnings call, decipher the information, and react properly. If the stock starts falling, people just start selling. Brilliant strategy. LOL.

In any case, it was a great earnings season for my basket of stocks, which is trouncing the averages so far this year (as they did in 2014, though it didn't seem that way in the final months). I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm pretty happy with how things are going. But then, I judge my investments based on fundamental performance, not how the stocks move on a day-to-day basis.

That being said, investors can judge things as they wish. It's their money, so they're 100% entitled. I like my way because it accepts the madness and just focuses on reality with a longer-term view, which leads to a lot less frustration. There's a reason why Warren Buffett always seems so calm and serene... ;)

Cheers,

Mark G.
    Feb 26, 2015. 08:31 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AeroGrow to Present at the 27th Annual Roth Conference [View article]
    Great opportunity to hear AERO's latest update first-hand.
    Feb 25, 2015. 07:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Surprising Ways Personality Is Impacting Your Bottom Line [View article]
    MATR's new CMO is already getting it done, while the company's new routing solution continues to tear it up :)
    Feb 25, 2015. 07:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JAKKS Pacific beats by $0.04, beats on revenue [View news story]
    JAKK crushes it, joining GLUU, AERO, and MATR in the earnings hit parade. The predicted DORM miss gets us to 5 for 5 with only QADA to go (which should also be strong on the back of its recent secondary). Great quarter of results and performance :)
    Feb 25, 2015. 06:39 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coming Out Of Hiding [View instapost]
    Many thanks for the feedback and interest everyone. Cheers.
    Feb 23, 2015. 12:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Growing Opportunity For AeroGrow [View article]
    I rarely have insight into trading patterns. Most investors aren't truly experienced. So, as Warren Buffett alluded, anything can happen in the short-term.
    Feb 18, 2015. 04:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Growing Opportunity For AeroGrow [View article]
    Another quarter of exceptional growth. Definitely the best to date!

Feb 18, 2015. 12:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Poised To Triple Portfolio Updates [View article]
    Broker,

Brilliantly stated. Cheers!

Mark G.
    Feb 14, 2015. 01:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Poised To Triple Portfolio Updates [View article]
    I never know. My job is to calculate the value of stocks, not to predict when they will reach those levels. That is dependent on the psychology of the masses, of which I am no expert. I just buy low, wait, and sell high ;)
    Feb 13, 2015. 05:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Poised To Triple Portfolio Updates [View article]
    BINGO.
    Feb 13, 2015. 05:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Poised To Triple Portfolio Updates [View article]
    I agree with what you are saying in the way you are saying it. However, most investors don't trust management's strategic direction and initiatives. In those cases, where there is no visible data to support whether the decision is sound or not, you have two choices: believe yourself or believe the person that was hired to run the company (and presumably has all the credentials to do so).

Frankly, I don't have half the skills required to run a large organization, so I will always trust a CEO over my gut feeling (or fears). That's something that many investors can't overcome (partly because of the pain of rare and extreme examples, where things go horribly wrong).

Personally, I feel bad for those who can't adopt a winning investing attitude, but I'm simultaneously thankful for it. Without that, everyone would be a good investor and I'd never get such great opportunities to "buy low" ;)

Cheers!

Mark G.
    Feb 13, 2015. 11:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mattersight Reports Strong Q4 Business Activity [View article]
    Only subscribers get that info ;)
    Feb 12, 2015. 08:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mattersight Reports Strong Q4 Business Activity [View article]
    Too early to say or worry about. Some things need to be addressed and some things do not. At this stage, I think those things fit into the latter category. We should be thinking of MATR like a private company and thinking of ourselves as its VCs.

It's a different mindset than what is appropriate for well-established public companies.
    Feb 12, 2015. 08:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment