Mark Gomes

View Mark Gomes' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Making Money On M&A - The Deferred Revenue Factor [View article]
    Your information may be important, but once again your social skills betray you. I extend an olive branch and you extend accusations. I extend a hand in friendship and you bite it.

I do my best to be a kind and non-judgmental human being, but there's only so much abuse a person can accept.

You are entitled to proceed through life as you wish, but if you wish to gain respect as a peer, I respectfully recommend that you reconsider your social demeanor. The current one is better suited for casting potential friends away.

Until then, I wish you the best.
    May 26, 2014. 11:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Old Line Bancshares Poised For Addition To The Russell 2000 [View article]
    That is correct. Thank you sir!
    May 26, 2014. 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tiptree Financial Is Poised To Join The Russell [View article]
    Correct. Thank you sir!
    May 26, 2014. 11:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GT Advanced Technologies' Next Frontier: Sapphire Composite Cover Screens For Mobile Devices And Point-Of-Sale Scanners [View article]
    I have no argument with you, but I recommend rethinking how great stocks are discovered. Balance sheets do not determine which companies are best, otherwise smaller companies would never become bigger...and we would all just own Bank of America, Berkshire Hathaway, General Electric, Apple and Exxon.

Those are all great COMPANIES, but a basket of their STOCKS won't produce 30%, 40%, 50% annual gains. Similarly, GLW is a "greater" COMPANY (in terms of size and balance sheet), but that doesn't necessarily make it a more promising STOCK.

If you are truly interested in evaluating growth stocks (GTAT) I recommend reading the book on Benjamin Graham's growth stock evaluation methods (among others). The man taught Warren Buffett. You can argue with strangers here, but it's hard to argue with that...
    May 26, 2014. 10:55 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Buy My Picks? [View instapost]
    Being a good stock picker and being a good communicator are two very different things. This is my attempt to bridge the gap between the skills my mentors taught me and my passion for sharing those lessons with the investing public.

Kindest Regards,

Mark G.
    May 25, 2014. 09:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How The Masters Made Their Millions / Billions [View instapost]
    Great review of a great book here: http://bit.ly/1p8qIEC
    May 25, 2014. 03:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making Money On M&A - The Deferred Revenue Factor [View article]
    Spec / Freddy,

Would you mind taking it outside? LOL. This is supposed to be a friendly and collaborative forum. I agree that Freddy's tone could be less adversarial (and sometimes promotional), but at least he's trying to do his homework. Making fun of someone rarely stimulates a productive discussion.

And vice versa Freddy. If Spec is a alias of someone taunting you on Yahoo, taunting back will only escalate things, distracting you from being your productive goals.

It's well-known that adversarial relationships require two to tango. At least one of the parties is usually attention-seeking. If it's not you, cut off the attention and the tango ends.

I respect you both as smart people who have something to offer. Being childish belies that intelligence. Indeed, I'm prone to that myself at times. We're only human...but we're mature humans and thus (presumably) capable of shifting gears.

Cheers,

Mark G.

p.s. FYI, this drama is why I don't comment on DWCH anymore. If I come out bullish (or bearish) it will only be shoved in the other camp's face. Until the acrimony ends, I have hundreds of other stocks to research.
    May 25, 2014. 02:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making Money On M&A - The Deferred Revenue Factor [View article]
    Spec / Freddy,

Cheers,

Mark G.

p.s. this drama is why I won't even look at DWCH anymore. If I come out bullish (or bearish) it will only be shoved in the other camp's face. If the acrimony ends, I may come back to DWCH. Until then, I have hundreds of other stocks on my list of things to do.
    May 25, 2014. 02:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Samsung/LG seen eying sapphire as Gorilla Glass alternative; GTAT jumps [View news story]
    Inside,

Matt is his own man inside of PTT Research. PTT mainly recruits the best independent analysts they can find to have their own franchise under the PTT Research umbrella. PTT handles all of the back-end technology, marketing, sales, etc, enabling guys like Matt (and me) to focus on what we do best...research.

PTT also hires junior analysts for internal research assistance.

As for GTAT, I defer to Matt. I know the company well, but that knowledge pales in comparison to his.

Cheers,

Mark G.
    May 25, 2014. 02:26 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Agreed Arnie. They seem to understand the difference in value between being a simple commodity vendor and an innovative producer of value-added IP-based products.
    May 25, 2014. 01:37 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Margolis covers all of this. GTAT has patented processes that give it a great advantage. I had a feeling that it might be coming when they made those acquisitions, but I didn't have the smarts to put it all together. Matt did.

Honestly, I see sapphire eventually replacing glass in virtually everything. It might take 50 years, but even windows should eventually be made of sapphire. It's just matter of how long it takes for the cost to get low enough. Between now and then, it will gain economies of scale with each new application (thus making it logical for the next). This is a very long-term trend.
    May 23, 2014. 04:32 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Great work, Matt. Welcome to the PTT Research team! http://bit.ly/1hI67iA
    May 23, 2014. 02:57 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Congrats to PTT Research's new analyst, Matt Margolis for an incredible call on this!
    May 23, 2014. 02:02 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Picks To Triple In A Correction [View article]
    Steve,

Your point regarding GLUU is actually one of two recurring themes that I am 100% focused on resolving (the other is my uncanny, but unintentional ability to come across like a self-appointed-god...aka horse's ass).

Without question, I absolutely did NOT discuss GLUU's ascent to the high-end of its R/R channel publicly. I try to avoid making trading calls because I simply don't know how / when my stocks will achieve their rightful valuations. HOWEVER, for those wish to trade my picks (many), I provide my R/R methods.

This is clearly the root of the problem...and TOTALLY MY FAULT.

I've been drawing R/R Charts for years, so I likely 1) underestimate how challenging they really are to draw and/or 2) have done a bad job of describing how to do it. Also, as a Buffett/Lynch disciple, I'm straying from their teachings by trying to apply a trading aspect to my fundamental picks.

I would love your thoughts on a solution. I can't provide trading updates (time consuming & not my core strength), so it may be best for me to focus on a buy-n-hold rhetoric and hire an accredited technician to serve as a combined technical/RR expert. You've been following me for a long time, so your opinion carries a lot of weight with me. When you get hurt, it bothers me more than you might think.

On a lesser scale, this is true of ANY investor. I'm only here to help. Servicing Wall Street customers is much easier (they understand market gyrations, don't bash my picks when they drop, and don't accuse me of pumping)...but helping PEOPLE feels so much better. Some stories actually bring a tear to my eyes. I have enough money, but I can never have enough tears of fulfillment.

Thus, I hope this turns out to be a good thing. It's a chance to clear the air and eliminate some of my weaknesses, so people can use me for the few things I'm actually good at.

Many thanks for time and patience my friend.

Mark G.

p.s. I also need to figure out how to deal with bashers when my picks go through a pullback. I honestly believe that some of my actions and reactions stem from the desire to explain / defend myself. Just some insight into my personal psyche...
    May 23, 2014. 12:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment