Mark Gomes

View Mark Gomes' Comments BY TICKER:
  • dELiA*s Is Poised To Triple [View article]
    Yes you were.

As a reminder to all, I provided public notification to sell DLIA months ago at $0.79 via my Portfolio Tracker, which is free to follow: http://bit.ly/14zls2d

I also followed up with a free video, warning about the bankruptcy risk for DLIA, as well as TPCS and GSAT. http://bit.ly/1yq2h5K

It's important to know that about 30% of my picks end with a loss. However, the other 70% go up an average of 100-200%. That averages out to about 100% per pick (about 40% annual returns). The key to these returns is to know when to wave the white flag on the losers.

It also requires patience. You will notice that my picks can do almost anything in the first 3-6 months, but truly reveal themselves after 12-24 months. Most flourish. http://seekingalpha.co...

Making extraordinary returns requires precision in one's method and acceptance of picking losers some % of the time. My method was developed over the course of a 20-year Wall Street career with the help of several Wall Street pros. I provide all the details for free here: http://bit.ly/14oT7sj

Cheers,

Mark G.
    Dec 6, 2014. 01:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    Ain't that the truth, Freddy. I've never been invincible though. Throughout my 5+ years on Seeking Alpha (and 20+ year career, I've had hot streaks and cold streaks). In this game, nobody gains 40% a year by gaining 3% every single month ;) That being said, I haven't lost $$ in any 24-month period over the past 18 years. Not a bad combination of tricks.

As always, my method is designed to yield big winners 70% of the time and accept losers 30% of the time. Between the 70% that rise 100-200% and 30% that fall 20-30%, we get an average of about 100% per pick. With a 2-year timeframe, that's about 40% / year.

The key is always to stay humble enough to admit when you are wrong before the losses get a chance to go from modest to catastrophic. As always, the fundamentals guide the way. For example, I cut bait on DLIA with a 28% loss at 79-cents (as was publicly disclosed via PoisedToTriple's Performance Tracker). The fundamentals weren't playing out, partly because four-walls retail is dying. A few months later, I expressed my belief that it could go bankrupt... and today, it filed for bankruptcy.

Conversely, I feel very good about the fundamentals about the rest of my picks. They've all been executing well as BUSINESSES. The stocks are lagging, but should eventually catch up, as long as the long-term stories remain intact. So far, so good.

I hope all is well with you. Cheers.
    Dec 5, 2014. 03:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    Sounds good. Everyone has their way and that's cool. Best wishes for continued success!
    Dec 5, 2014. 02:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    TRIVIA

Picture a stock with a $5 price target which is expected to do $128M in revenue and -$0.05 in EPS.

Now, imagine that they do $229M in revenue and +$0.24 EPS instead.

What should the stock price be?
    Dec 4, 2014. 08:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    Babbeone,

You usually seem rational, but your last few posts are worrying. Is everything ok? GLUU has beat every quarter's EPS since the beginning of DeMasi's tenure (the last 4 are documented here: http://yhoo.it/1tVoXrV).

Mistrust is one of the deadly sins of investing and a precursor to confirmation bias, which is tantamount to investment suicide. Intuition WILL serve you well from time to time, but for 99% of investors, that's just luck of the draw.

Rides like these can test an investor's mettle, like Peter Lynch Lesson 2 (http://bit.ly/1tVoXrW).

That's all there is to it.

Mark G.

p.s. I don't disclose my trades here, but my subscribers know where I stand on this stock. Besides, I'm not a stock god. Nobody is. Some % of your picks are going to lose. If you let the fear of those losses run things, all is lost. You have to ask yourself why you bought this stock and decide whether anything has changed.

For me, the answer is YES... because things HAVE changed (the company's strategy, execution, and positioning are all better than they were when I first bought it)... and despite the recent implosion, the stock is still up from my $3.14 initiation price and outperforming its closest comp (the Russell).

Just a hurricane in paradise. This too shall pass. In the meantime, only time will tell if the next stop is $2 or $5. To me, an investor, it doesn't matter because I have no way to predict or control it. I can only do my research and trust in it.
    Dec 4, 2014. 08:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tripling Your Money [View instapost]
    Too true! Oh well, more for the rest of us.

Happy holidays to you as well. Cheers.
    Dec 4, 2014. 08:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tripling Your Money [View instapost]
    LOL. Ain't that the truth, Broker.

If the market was only open once a year, things would be much easier.

Sadly, most investors don't realize that 1) even good stock pickers are wrong 20-40% of the time, depending on their investing approach and 2) time is required for the best stocks to play out -- after all, if everyone believed in the company/story, the stock wouldn't be cheap!

The focus on short-term gains keeps them from generating life-changing (long-term) returns. They learn nothing from Warren Buffett's lead, which is incredible because Buffett goes out of his way to help people understand how it's done.

You can only lead a horse to water...
    Dec 4, 2014. 03:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tripling Your Money [View instapost]
    Tromur,

I appreciate the sentiment. It is always encouraging to hear from supporters while newer picks are marking time (which I call "gestating"). Most people don't have the patience to excel.

Indeed, making the biggest returns requires an investor to be EARLY to find the best opportunities. In the Internet age, almost no stock can be a "secret". So, the best opportunities are all known stocks -- but they remain deeply undervalued because their FUTURE directions aren't understood. Thus, the key to winning is to invest and patiently wait for the future to present itself to the masses.

I tell a story about making 1000% on a stock, here: http://seekingalpha.co...

It's regrettable that bad apples exist, but not everyone realizes that everyone can make $$ and work together when it comes to stocks. We can't fight that. Luckily, the PTT Research website has been built into a sanctuary for people who want to learn and invest without unhealthy distractions.

Unfortunately, we have to charge a membership fee to cover our overhead, analyst salaries, research services, etc., but thousands have signed up and over 500 are active in our chat rooms. That dwarfs the 10 or so "bad apples" on Seeking Alpha, so I guess the good apples have spoken.

The remaining bad apples are free to spend their time fuming amongst themselves here. It's a shame, but with 7,500 followers, if just 1% don't believe in you, you find yourself with 75 detractors. That's enough to make a lot of unhealthy noise in an unfiltered forum (like this), which can be detrimental for innocent investors who would otherwise get a chance to succeed (if they weren't subjected to the negative banter).

I'm just happy that PTT's website can serve that positive role.

Thanks again and best wishes my friend,

Mark G.
    Dec 4, 2014. 01:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    Dr. Provost,

That was among the best posts I have ever read from a self-professed "untrained investor". You correctly identify emotion and position-sizes as MAJOR contributors to success (something most investors don't even consider).

You also seem to understand the difference between being an investor and an analyst by singling out folks like Strike and me. Indeed, analysis and portfolio management are often two SEPARATE (though closely related) jobs on Wall Street.

For people who already have full-time careers, learning to become a good analyst is nigh-impossible (it takes about 10+ years of full-time effort to become good). Thus, the proper alternative is to find analysts you can rely on and focus on proper portfolio management... which is largely about proper emotion and position sizing.

Kudos for nailing it. I'm sure you will be well-rewarded in the form of future prosperity.

Kindest Regards!

Mark G.
    Dec 3, 2014. 05:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    Jim,

Sounds like you have a solid even-keeled mind for investing. That surely serves / will serve you well. If you follow the Methodology rules religiously, I am very confident in the results you will experience.

Best Wishes!

Mark G.
    Dec 3, 2014. 05:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    Bab, I don't pick stocks for today. 99% of investors don't understand what "invest" means and nobody can force them to learn, so you have to accept whatever the stock does in the short term. You should watch Peter Lynch Lesson 2 by clicking on "Methodology" at PoisedToTriple (among other things). I hope GLUU goes to $2. Maybe it will. Are you prepared for that (and hopeful that it happens)?

Omega, great info. Love your calm research-oriented demeanor. You're clearly not among the 99% to whom I was referring above. Kudos.
    Dec 3, 2014. 08:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    Babbeone,

That's not my department. I have a business relationship with the guys who operate PTTResearch.com and PoisedToTriple.com. I give them my picks and analysis... they decide what to do with it.

I recommend contacting customer support.

Cheers,

Mark
    Dec 1, 2014. 05:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    I would invite that, but with one wrinkle. Our software, marketing, and monetization platform has been re-architected to enable talented / professional analysts to create their own "PTT Research" without direct affiliation or ties back to PTT. They do what they do best (i.e. pick stocks) and we provide the website, e-commerce, digital marketing, admin, customer support, invoicing, collections, etc.

That way, each analyst gets full credit for their success (or failure) without implicating anyone else. ;)

Food for thought.

Folks with SPECIFIC investment expertise (like you and I) aren't easy to find. Most investors think they can be an expert at all things. As a result, most (90%+) fail to reach an expert level in any regard. This is why I defer to you on your turf. Our ways are very different and require different skills.

Yet, we both get great results. This conceptually makes both approaches a great part of a complete investment strategy. Indeed, there are several different approaches that work. Just a matter of finding the people who dedicate themselves to greatness in a specific niche.

Cheers
    Dec 1, 2014. 03:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    I respect your approach, but mine has averaged close to 40% a year for 18 years and while my approach is more volatile, it hasn't failed to produce a gain over any 24-month period during that time. That's hardly risky relative to the results.

Just as you are an expert at your approach, I am an expert at mine. Many ways to skin a cat. Many ways to become rich.

BTW, I still think you should be contributing to SeekingAlpha or some other outlet. You seem to have a lot to offer to most people than you are currently reaching ;)
    Nov 30, 2014. 06:53 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    p.s. My key selections in 2013 were HIMX, GSAT, PXLW, and ATTU, in no particular order. If you look at those picks today, they are still up roughly 125%, 60%, 325%, and 200%.

If you have read "Methodology" on the poisedtotriple website, you know that my timeframe is generally in the 2 to 3 year range. I didn't ask for those stocks to triple almost overnight. The fact that those four stocks are up an average of 175% tells you all you need to know about the long-term value of those companies. After succumbing to negative investor sentiment, they have bounced around and likely found their fair value without any Seeking Alpha publicity.

This is because Empase hit the nail on the head when he inferred that the value of the company is rarely reflected in a stock price with 100% accuracy. If that was the norm, every stock would be fairly valued and exceptional gains would be impossible to make.

Thus, if you have the 10+ years of education, expertise and experience required to accurately calculate the likely value of a stock, you can kill it year after year (personally, I have not suffered a negative return over a 24-month period since the mid 90s).

However, investors become euphoric or despondent about analysts just as they do for individual stocks. If you are on a hot streak, you must be a stock god. If you are on a cold streak you must be a jinx or pariah. Because of this, my stocks quickly tripled when I was seen as godlike, and are taking longer now that I am seen as merely mortal (or less...LOL).

Deity or pariah, it doesn't matter to me. I haven't changed my research process one iota. The only thing that has changed is that I spend less time on SeekingAlpha and more time with PTT subscribers, including a growing contingent of Wall Street portfolio managers who discovered my work and know (based on their own education / expertise) that my methodology is efficacious.

As the negative sentiment toward my picks subsides (which seems to have occurred, if you look at the charts on my current picks #rebounding) they will naturally drift towards their true fair value (up or down), with or without my assistance.
    Nov 29, 2014. 01:56 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment