Mark Gomes

View Mark Gomes' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Google Glass Coming Early - Shares Of Himax Are Poised To Triple [View article]
    Mistercents,

Will all due respect to you, assuming that I misinterpreted Mr. Guttag's blog would be a tad presumptuous. In fact, I carefully read his blog and sought to confirm and reconcile his comments. In other words, I took his excellent work and added to it. This is how great analyses become even greater.

In fact, I don't disagree with his facts! However, he also made some assumptions, on which I sought clarity (i.e. a conversion from assumption to fact). Here's a link to my clarifying response: http://bit.ly/14pL6m7

Kindest Regards,

Mark G
    Mar 5 03:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Karl,

I'm honored by your contribution. I've crafted a response on my instablog such that neither of our comments get lost in the weeds here. Here's a link to it: http://seekingalpha.co...

Kindest Regards & Thanks Again,

Mark G
    Mar 5 02:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Launches The Glass War: Winners And Losers Abound [View article]
    If I'm not mistaken, their form factor is still too big for sleek consumer products. Cheers.
    Mar 5 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Launches The Glass War: Winners And Losers Abound [View article]
    JarJar,

Sounds like you could write the counter-point article. You make GREAT points, outlining many of the key / controversial factors that will determine success or failure. Personally, I believe that most of your concerns can and will be overcome (second and third iterations of the product will resolve most of them). However, I respect your opinions, as they have not been proven false by fact / reality.

Thanks for the contribution and kindest regards,

Mark G.
    Mar 5 09:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Launches The Glass War: Winners And Losers Abound [View article]
    C.E.,

Astute counterpoints! I can disagree, but I can't argue. ;^)

Kindest Regards,

Mark G.
    Mar 5 09:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Launches The Glass War: Winners And Losers Abound [View article]
    hahah48,

Ditto...but you can expect these devices to soon be compatible with you existing glasses. Google's not about to leave the four-eyed public in the lurch. After all, glasses are part of the "nerd" persona!

Kindest Regards,

Mark G.
    Mar 5 09:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Launches The Glass War: Winners And Losers Abound [View article]
    Riimpekki,

Thanks for the insight into Nokia. I'll definitely look into that for follow-up pieces.

Cheers,

Mark G.
    Mar 5 09:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Johnny,

You are completely entitled to voice your opinion (as an American, I encourage all comments, good and bad).

However, 1) See my comments to Lumia above and 2) I'd would humbly recommend caution in how you word things in public forums. Implications of wrongdoing can constitute libel or other illegal defamation.

That being said, feel free to pick apart my analysis. I don't mind detractors! However, my integrity is something I hold dear.

Kindest Regards,

Mark G.
    Mar 5 09:38 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Videoctr,

Smart point! ...but don't assume that we aren't working on a broader piece on the various vendors in this space ;^)

I'd be careful about MVIS though. Guttag's assessment suggests that MVIS's solution currently takes up too much space (among other issues) to compete for a place in Glass.

Kindest Regards,

Mark G
    Mar 5 08:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Loren,

It's great to see investors doing their homework. I would have provided more details on Karl Guttag's great research in a full report (vs. an article like this).

To address your point, Guttag's key comment was "a smaller more compact design could be done with a transmissive color filter panel which is what I suspect Google is now using."

Karl knows his technology better than most anyone in the field. However, if you check HIMX's site, you'll see that LCOS info is still there. More importantly, I contacted HIMX to ask whether they offer a transmissive color filter device. This was the response:

Mark,

I just heard back from the CFO, Jackie Chang, on your question.

The answer to your first question is “Yes” the Company does offer a transmissive color filter device.

Best regards,

John Mattio
    MZ Group |Senior Vice President – MZ North America

Hope that assists in your research efforts...and thanks for the contribution. I welcome more data points -- I'm as committed to piecing together the full picture as you appear to be!

Kindest Regards,

Mark G
    Mar 5 08:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Launches The Glass War: Winners And Losers Abound [View article]
    ZD,

A scarf...LOL. Love it.

Seriously though, you're absolutely right. Wearable computing and augmented reality are two things that the general public doesn't see coming...or simply doesn't believe in.

I fully expect to see a large number of comments about how preposterous this concept is, but that's why stocks triple (or more). If everyone believed in what was coming, the stocks with a vested interest would already be flying high.

I learned this from the first major call my company (Pipeline Data) made. It was Apple, which helped to put Pipeline Data on the map...HOWEVER, I failed to envision how the iPod would bridge AAPL into smart phones and mobile prominence. As a result, I released my buy rating after it doubled to $27 (split adj'd). I eventually got back on the bandwagon, but it was in the triple-digits by then. What could've been a 50 bagger was only 6 (a double multiplied by a subsequent triple). Six bags has never been so painful!

Similarly, I was skeptical of Glass, until I researched it and found that most every major mobile vendor is working on their own versions. These are the guys with vision. They spend millions annually just to research where the world is going (and millions more to conceal their findings until they can position themselves to dominate). When you see them move in tandem like this, it's wise to investigate closely before dismissing it, no matter how silly it may sound.

After all, who wants to miss the next 50-bagger?

Thanks for the post,

Mark G.
    Mar 4 11:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Lumia,

That's a smart attitude to take. It's important to know who you're dealing with and equally important to do your own homework. Personally, I pride myself on the reputation I've built here, starting with my first pick (LIOX) in 2009: http://bit.ly/Z4Umwp

That stock became a five-bagger over the next 15-months with no promotion or additional articles from yours truly. That inspired the "Poised to Triple" concept -- identifying stocks with a great risk/reward profile and the potential to triple. As you can see here -- http://bit.ly/I2XgJ1 -- not every pick will triple, but my track record has been pretty good.

I wasn't as active in 2012, due to training for a Track & Field world record and authoring a book for charity (see http://bit.ly/107hDk6 for the details). As you can see, I'm a modestly public person with a lot to lose if I squander my reputation (sponsorships, book sales, public humiliation, and my company Pipeline Data).

With the athletic and charitable pursuits behind me, I'm looking forward to reestablishing myself and proving my mettle, especially to justifiably skeptical investors such as yourself.

Hope I measure up...and hope you follow me long enough to find out. ;^)

Kindest Regards,

Mark G,
    Mar 4 11:29 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Launches The Glass War: Winners And Losers Abound [View article]
    Very astute observation. That's not far from the target! As the price comes down, I believe that the Facebook / YouTube generation will wildly embrace the technology. They will thus become akin to "war photographers", with life being the war they document.

As a 42 year old, I'm not big into posting videos on FB or YouTube, but it's clear that there's a massive younger demographic that is being raised on social media sharing. A hand's-free interface will open up their imaginations to share media in a previously doable manner.

Personally, I think it would be fun to run a race (or see my favorite people race) through the eyes of Google Glass.

Of course, that's just scratching the surface. Check out the YouTube videos and other Internet resources for the various use-cases. I think you'll be very surprised at how many potential killer apps this will enable. It's just hard to envision right now because Glass won't hit the masses until the holidays...
    Mar 4 10:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Launches The Glass War: Winners And Losers Abound [View article]
    This piece inspired our first "Poised to Triple" article for 2013 (see http://seekingalpha.co...). To receive updates and future picks, simply hit the "Follow" button under my name at the top of this page.

You can also get free real-time alerts via Twitter. If you have an account (free to register), just text the words FOLLOW BOSTONGEKKO to 40404.
    Mar 4 10:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Here's our first "Poised to Triple" article for 2013. To receive updates and future picks, simply hit the "Follow" button under my name at the top of this page.

Mar 4 10:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment