Mark Gomes

View Mark Gomes' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Shares Of JAKKS Pacific Are Poised To Triple [View article]
    Well stated, especially coming from someone who seems to believe Frozen will last well beyond the holidays. Great assessment of how many investors are thinking. Personally, I believe most of those are retail investors. 80% of the company is held by the top 10 or so institutions, including Citadel, which just took advantage of the panic to acquire a 5% stake.

It's called "smart money" for a reason ;)

Nice post. Cheers.
    Nov 11, 2014. 10:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Growing Opportunity For AeroGrow [View article]
    I addressed this long ago. Those stocks were so loved that I would have invited a hellstorm if I spoke publicly against them. Thus, my public strategy was to appeal to reason.

Privately though, I told my PTT Pipeline customers to short all but 4 of 50 marijuana stocks I investigated. They fell an average of 50%+ in 3 months.

Article accessible to PTT Pipeline customers -- http://bit.ly/1w65RR7
    Nov 9, 2014. 03:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    Step Up,

ANY attention (good or bad) drives traffic to my site and a percentage of that traffic converts into revenue. In addition, my consulting rate is $1000 an hour. In other words, damage control is not necessary for me to maximize revenues, nor worth my time relative to the alternatives. I win no matter what people say. In fact, your post will drive as much revenue as mine will, but at a much cheaper cost.

I don't say that the taunt you. Rather, it's to illustrate the point that the only reason I'm communicating with people here is because I care to provide clarification to those who are willing to listen or capable of understanding. Having made my fortune nearly a decade ago, my life pursuits have turned to sharing my experiences. If you have reached that point of your life, then you know what I mean. It's common among people in my position. If you're not at that point and don't believe me, just ask a neutral third party like Strike.

But some people are unreachable or have made up their minds. No worries to me -- I'm not for everyone. But this all begs the question: if you've already made up your mind about me, why are you wasting your time here? The minutes of your life are worth much more than trying to push the buttons of somebody who doesn't get rattled (5+ years of dealing with Main Street investors builds thick skin) and will only make money from your efforts (traffic/conversions).

Nonetheless, it is your life. So feel free to carry-on. I appreciate the attention. No PR is bad PR. So, thanks for your patronage and best wishes for finding what you're looking for.

Kindest Regards,

Mark G
    Nov 8, 2014. 12:45 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    Strike,

I DO believe it, because I DID my due diligence on you. Your skills are admirable, but you and I do things very differently. In fact, our methods are starkly contrasting (i.e. complementary).

You have a method that identifies undervalued large caps across a wide swath of industries. With my training, I can NOT replicate your methods, especially not with your proficiency.

My training was very different. I only cover technology and consumer trends, sectors where I have amassed multiple Rolodexes of expert contacts from around the world. I am NOT the brains behind my picks, THEY are. My picks SEEM like grasps at straws, but they are not. If you read my Methodology, you know this.

For example, I just completed a five-figure deep dive into MATR's technology. It involved a Harvard data scientist, two nationally-recognized digital marketing gurus, and one of the world's foremost authorities on call center customer-demand trends. I only publish the results for paying members (because it's their money that paid for the research)... but the data is baked into my public bullishness for the stock.

In other words, these stocks are not as risky as they appear to you. They are vetted more deeply than yours to compensate for the fact that they are not as established as yours. There's a difference between being established and being overly risky. Just ask a VC -- I have serviced dozens in my career.

Further, anyone who knows about my methods knows that I don't utilize the same method at market peaks. For customers, I called the 2000-2002 and 2007-2009 crashes (but only thanks to the assistance of my technology and consumer-trend experts, respectively -- Internet bust; Real-estate bust). I also publicly called for a Russell decline in November and July. Customers were given the blueprint for what to do about it (long my picks USING THE RULES OF THE METHODOLOGY -- 35% total position, 35% short in IWM/FXI, 30% long in UUP, and SELL all other positions).

This is in stark contrast to the 80% allocation to my picks 18 months ago (again, documented). Anyone who held picks that weren't specifically mine, didn't follow the rules... nor did anyone who held more $$ in my picks than the Methodology states -- they didn't follow the rules, in which case, THEY are responsible, not me. I have enough responsibility to bear for MY mistakes, which have and will continue to be numerous -- it comes with the territory.

I understand if people don't want to read/learn a dense 35 page instruction manual, but as I often say, if you don't want to do that, I'm not for you (so, don't follow me and don't play with my selections, because the portfolio management section of my Methodology is as important as the method by which I make my picks.

Among the thousands who DO, there are many who write to tell me that they have outperformed my 24% YTD returns. The reason is simple -- they executed the rules of the Methodology better than I have (i.e. selling out of GLUU at its risk/reward high of $7.50, which the Methodology said to do, but I personally failed to do).

If these things are news to you, then you haven't looked into my methods with the same rigor you look into your stocks. And that's a shame, because it makes a VERY successful and respectable 40-year veteran you look less intelligent to those who have (and I have an inbox full of "why do you bother with that guy" messages to prove it).

AND THAT'S A SHAME, because 50,000 people should be listening to YOU.

So, with 7,500 of those followers being here on Seeking Alpha, why did I choose to converse with you versus the other detractors? Because I generally know a pro when I see one. In this case, I believe I see one. But I also believe that my methods haven't been fully vetted by that pro.

I did FREE work here for 5+ years, earning the following of 7,500 (a massive number for the relatively small number of articles I have published). I have gained national recognition for discovering things before anyone else (HIMX/GOOG; PXLW/AAPL). Those weren't haystack needles -- that was investigative journalism.

I have IMPLORED people to learn my Methodology BEFORE investing in ANY of them. I also IMPLORE those who don't to NOT follow me and NOT buy my picks. Over 50,000 now follow me across various channels... but ONLY 8,000 of them have read the Methodology... and some thousands of them have become paying members. With all of those successes, I can't worry about those who don't bother to help themselves by doing following my instruction manual. I can only lead the horses to water.

Over the past year, my content generated over a million hits across various channels (over 500,000 here alone) and touched 50,000 lives. A handful of those folks have spoken out against me, but have done so without learning my methods.

Indeed, among 50,000 people, if JUST 1% didn't read the rules, I should have 500 people calling for my head... and yet, I can only count a couple dozen.

Think about it.

Then, think about putting your vast experience and big heart to broader use. Main Street investors NEED people like you to learn good ways to invest. Indeed, there are many. You have yours. I have mine.

If a handful of people get hurt along the way, it's something we must accept for the betterment of the masses (despite the great pain I feel every time someone gets hurt by my tools). I accept the pain, accusations, and ridicule of the few, because the masses deserve a chance. I do it for them, not the money (I earned more than I will ever need before I ever appeared here -- in fact, that's the very reason I started donating time here). As for the ones who get hurt, they probably aren't willing to follow the instruction of pros like us (and are therefore not capable of being helped at all).

Wishing you and your investors all the best as well.
    Nov 8, 2014. 11:12 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    p.s. That last comment is my way of saying that I won't engage in a protracted debate. I understand that you are upset by PTT's recent developments. For that, I sympathize and apologize.

But ultimately, it's about YOU and whether PTT is for you. If not, your further time here is wasted. I only responded because I care (otherwise, my time is wasted), because I still have thousands of paying customers and more signing up daily on record levels of web traffic... because each post on these forums (regardless of whether they are positive or negative) brings more people our way... and some % of them always sign up. It's true that no PR is bad PR.

So, I hope you make your decision and then spend your time accordingly. If you're done with PTT, then I don't know why you're spending one more second of your precious life trading keystrokes with me. As I said, I'm only here because I care.

Think about it. No other reason would even makes sense...

Best Wishes
    Nov 8, 2014. 02:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    Strike,

I respect your view and how you presented it. However, you made two VERY untrue statements which have been documented VERY publicly:

1. "The choices are usually speculative stocks running huge losses and run by cowboys with little or no concern for the interests of shareholders."

Response: First, this sounds like you haven't bothered check my track record. This is not an accusation, it's an opinion of how you came across (like many of the opinions I respectfully accept). Second, STX, LGF, FB and others are among my picks. Are many of my picks speculative? YES...but they are designated as such at my website for free to the public.

Finally, have you spoken to the management teams of my picks? If so, I'd love to hear about it. Otherwise, you just called a very well-qualified group of individuals (many of whom are leading companies in which you have chose to invest) cowboys. No offense, but that's the definition of spurious.

2. "Others, like Gutierrez, are outright liars who clearly fooled the PTT staff that was supposed to be monitoring their claims and statements."

Response: This comment demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge of who was in charge of doing what within PTT. I'm sorry, but this statement makes me question how much you really know about my history and methods. Again, spurious.

Each PTT analyst works independently, as they do at any other firm (do you blame all of Bank of America for their analyst who had a buy rating on GTAT?). It doesn't (and can't) work that way. If I policed everyone else's picks, I'd be taking my eye off of mine. Ditto for B of A (and most every other research firm). FYI, I looked into the GTAT debacle after the fact and Gutierrez probably lost more than anyone in this mess. In my opinion, he's not guilt of fraud... he's guilty of hubris, neglect, and betting his company on a bite that was too large for him to chew.

I respect your right to your opinions, but if you don't back it up by doing your research, you are only contributing to the problem. Research is all I do, because if I'm going to be wrong, I'm going to do so having done EVERYTHING in my power to avoid it. This is why I provide clear transparency to anyone who bothers to look... and invite our thousands of paying customers to ask me the hardest questions they can in a live Q&A forum... where I can be backed into a corner and exposed for a fool.

For all my faults and bad picks, it hasn't happened yet... and for one simple reason. I only know two things in this world (RUNNING and STOCKS). Just two. But God made me world class at both. I have a world record and a 5+ year track record documented by Seeking Alpha, NPR, USA Today, the Wall Street Journal, (and many others I can't recall) to prove it.

Am I a verbose, arrogant, know-it-all who messes up royally from time to time?

Damn right.

But that's because it works for anyone smart enough to follow the instruction manual (The free Methodology) and patient enough to let it work.

If you're not among them, so be it. It's your life and your opinion... and you are God-given the right to both, so I respect that and wish you the best no matter what. But opinion is opinion and fact is fact. So, PLEASE, check your facts lest you wish to mask your otherwise clear intelligence in front of the hundreds who have checked their facts and know what I say to be true.

Indeed, they are on public display, easy to find, and clear as day.

If we don't converse again, I wish you all the best,

Mark G.
    Nov 8, 2014. 02:05 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    Dan,

I appreciate your comments. Trust me, nobody invites a CONSTRUCTIVE discussion of pros and cons more so than I do. Properly servicing institutional customers relies on having an open mind about potentially being wrong or affected by confirmation bias.

The problem here is that most people think they understand how to do real investment analysis, which I'm sure you know takes the better part of a decade to learn with proficiency.

As for you, I have professional respect for you. The issue that led to us rub elbows the wrong way was my concern for how much due diligence you might have done into GLUU. As a professional (in contrast to the 99% non-professionals here), there's a EXTRA responsibility to set an example for the rest.

As a fellow professional and Seeking Alpha contributor, I would have invited a private discussion to trade notes on GLUU. Having covered the company for over 5 years (4 years before initiating coverage on them) with the assistance of 4 internal analysts, 2 digital marketing experts, and a six-figure budget, I think you would have found that the research we HAVEN'T shared on Seeking Alpha (reserved for paying members, who fund our budget) demonstrates that our knowledge of the company's future goes far beyond the surface of its earnings release. Indeed, it take us about 24 hours to PROPERLY assess an earnings report. Parsing the numbers are only 20-30% of the job.

But that didn't happen... and that lack of professional courtesy in a public forum (where literally millions of mom & pop investors desperately seek the few people they can trust) may actually have led them away from someone who is qualified and willing to help (a rare combo, as you know). So, that struck the very rare nerve for me (any one who has followed me for the past few years knows that I have endured far worse undue scrutiny on virtually every pick... most of which eventually lead to vindication as my thesis took hold).

Of course, that does NOT excuse the mistake that I made (making a timing call on GLUU). Let me be clear on this -- that was an inexcusable mistake, which surely hurt many of the very people I seek to assist. It's a mistake that I won't soon repeat.

But two wrongs don't make a right.

So, I guess we've both said our peace... and I greatly appreciate that you reached out. Accordingly, I would still invite a two-way dialog to share each others due diligence on GLUU and any other common interests. After all, when we're wrong (which is inevitable some % of the time) it's best to see the light sooner than later (minimize losses / maximize gains is the name of game).

As for PTT's private Forums, I think you'd be impressed. The entire organization is built around the successful model at Pipeline Data, LLC (institutional services) that led to my semi-retirement in 2008. All it would take is a real and deep look under the hood, as any true professional should always do ;)

Kindest Regards,

Mark G.
    Nov 7, 2014. 05:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tripling Your Money [View instapost]
    Bazooka (and all),

Over the past 25 years, I've been through every imaginable change. I'm VERY pleased with how everything is going at the companies in which I am invested.

Think of it this way -- I've been analyzing stocks for Wall Street firms since 1994...AND my personal money gets invested in these names. Plus, I have a 6-figure research budget, courtesy of the PTT subscriber base. I'm still the same skilled analyst I've always been. Not a God, but definitely a strong professional that other professionals trust.

Unfortunately, trust is not a common quality among Main Street investors. Despite my complete transparency, most choose to spend more time looking at charts and judging COMPANIES by the short-term movement in their STOCK prices. That's not how REAL investing works.

This is why Main Street investors operate at a disadvantage to Wall Street investors. Through good picks and bad, professional customers appreciate another professional's work. Here, everyone thinks they know everything. I can't change that.

This is why I'm spending less time here, no longer providing updates, no longer answering Q&A, and simply increasing the level of paid advertising. In addition, PTT is ONLY targeting customers who "get it" form now on.

In fact, we're actually encouraging people who don't "get it" to cancel their subscriptions with us. We don't WANT anyone else's money because the headaches aren't worth it (we're not psychiatrists). Our time is best spent on people who want to learn.

If you've followed me long enough, you know that I'm usually not so harsh-toned, but the time has come to stop accepting disrespectful treatment in the name of helping the masses. If the masses want help, they can join PTT. $1,500 a year is a small fraction of the cost of the higher-education courses needed to become truly skilled at this.

I am truly sorry to all of those who DID make my time here worthwhile, but the bad apples now outnumber you greatly. Accordingly, after nearly 6 years of free service here, I'm reallocating my time to where the effort will do the most good. Plus, the Forums at PTT are tightly policed and kept clear of bad apples...and bad habits.

Kindest Regards,

Mark G.
    Nov 7, 2014. 03:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    Babbeone (and others),

I interview them frequently with very tough questions. Think of it this way: I've been analyzing stocks for Wall Street firms since 1994...AND my personal money gets invested in these names. Plus, I have a 6-figure research budget, courtesy of the PTT subscriber base.

Between those three things, you can guess that I'm already doing anything you could imagine. The difference is that I'm no longer sharing updates or Q&A with Seeking Alpha because the audience here has become more trouble than it's worth.

This is why I'm spending less time here and simply increasing the level of paid advertising. PTT is specifically targeting customers who "get it". We're actually encouraging those who don't (we see them in our Members-only Forums) to cancel their subscriptions.

My time is best spent on people who want to learn.

If you've followed me long enough, you know that I'm usually not so harsh-toned, but the time has come for me to stop accepting disrespectful treatment in the name of helping the masses. If the masses want help, they can join PTT. $1,500 a year is far less than the cost of a similar higher-education course. Indeed, our favored customers view it as such. In turn, I spend that $$ on providing better research and better service.

I am truly sorry to all of those who DID make my time here worthwhile, but the bad apples now outnumber you greatly and I must go where my efforts will do the most good. In contrast, the Forums at PTT are tightly policed and kept clear of bad apples and bad habits.

Kindest Regards,

Mark G.
    Nov 7, 2014. 02:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shares Of Mattersight Are Poised To Triple [View article]
    I have posted my initial thoughts on MATR's quarter for PTT clients here: http://bit.ly/1tJgNrh

Cheers,

Mark G.
    Nov 5, 2014. 04:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tripling Your Money [View instapost]
    Your wish has been granted!

Nov 4, 2014. 09:56 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tripling Your Money [View instapost]
    Broker,

I agree with most of what you say. However your last statement is only true if I let it be.

I started writing on Seeking Alpha with zero retail customers. I now have thousands of paying subscribers and tens of thousands of followers. Of course, there will always be the detractors who don't bother to do their complete due diligence on me or judge me based on A small window of performance. If just 1% fit this profile, there are hundreds of them.

However, I'm not interested in those investors. I can only help those who are willing to help themselves. Thankfully, the detractors only draw additional attention to my work. No matter how negative their rhetoric, they only prove that no PR is bad PR.

So, as I look at things from that perspective, I feel that I really can't lose. I can take a few sticks and stones for the sake of helping to change a few lives :)

Thanks & Kindest Regards,

Mark G.
    Nov 4, 2014. 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Attunity's Maestro Promises To Make Sweet Music (And Money) [View article]
    Sounds a lot like the risk/reward section of my Methodology. Well done, friend.

As for a hedge fund, I'm an analyst and don't want to pretend to be anything else. If I ever start a fund (which is being discussed), it will be in conjunction with a reputable bank and a reputable portfolio manager, with reputable traders. Stay tuned ;)
    Nov 3, 2014. 03:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tripling Your Money [View instapost]
    Keith,

VERY astute observation. That hasn't gone unnoticed. In an attempt to combat this, I have a couple of experts working on a free "training course".

It will be designed enable investors to assess their ability to grasp the Methodology and determine if it is right for them. Indeed, some people can "learn to fly a plane" (most of my paying members), while others are destined for other modes of transportation... which is not a bad thing (just different).

With any luck, this will give some investors the signal to move on before they get hurt, while letting others know that my ways are worth pursuing.

Thanks for the feedback. It confirmed some of our thinking (and then some).

Best wishes to you as well,

Mark G.
    Nov 3, 2014. 02:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Poised To Climb 50% By Year-End [View article]
    Jill,

Despite our differences, I do apologize for the misspelling of you name. I meant no disrespect.

Kindest Regards,