Mark Gottlieb

View Mark Gottlieb's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Bonds: Short-Term Risk, Long-Term Opportunity [View article]
    Good article. The economy still appears weak. The big question is how much fixed income assets will leave fixed income and come into stocks as investor follow past returns which isn't a great idea. The contrarian in me thinks bonds may not be such a bad investment at these levels given the economy. Glad Jeff Gundlach of DoubleLine feels the same way.
    Aug 5 05:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Election Chaos May Have Driven Investment Grade Telecom Italia Note Yield To 7.27% [View article]
    Thanks
    Apr 12 07:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nearly 8% Yield On Maiden Holdings Investment-Grade Exchange-Traded Debt Security [View article]
    Sounds good
    Mar 19 10:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mktneutralhedger - I agree, Telecom Italia bonds look like a good value here.
    Mar 19 10:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ameren Genco Bonds Crushed [View article]
    Party at Wireless Tech's house! LOL I'm glad I didn't sell these.
    Mar 14 05:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • W.R. Berkley, Rare 6.7% Yield On Investment Grade Preferred Stock With Downside Protection [View article]
    Your technique is great when you can find them. See anything meeting your parameters in preferred stocks that is investment grade and paying a competitive yield?
    Mar 4 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Got That Swing- glad you picked up some Telecom Italia bonds at the currently depressed pricing. This is the only European bond I like at the current levels. I still own Telefonica, BBVA, Abbey (Banco Santander), and Arcelor Mittal which I picked up when they were cheap but they've all risen quite a bit.
    Mar 2 07:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Valley National Bank Preferred A 7.51% Current Yield [View article]
    Fooflt13- the inaccuracy in the title's been fixed.
    Feb 28 07:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Valley National Bank Preferred A 7.51% Current Yield [View article]
    This was originally written/submitted based on Vly-Pa trading at $25.79 yesterday, prior to going X-Dividend this AM. The call risk was lower at yesterday's closing price of $25.79 - today's .484 dividend (a max of 1.2% was at risk when you factored in 25.79-.484). Thanks for your suggested alternatives. I know some other great alternatives which I'll be addressing in future postings.
    Feb 27 09:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Valley National Bank Preferred A 7.51% Current Yield [View article]
    That is true, the common stock also looks like a good buy at the current price.
    Feb 27 03:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    wrb-pa on yahoo finance
    Feb 22 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ameren Genco Bonds Crushed [View article]
    Genco bonds have been trending up since the Ameren call yesterday. I don't think a default is imminent nor immediate. They were priced for default. The 7.95s were around 52 on the offer pre meeting and are closing in on 56 on the offer. We'll have to see what happens- a Genco sale or restructuring, etc. I suspect they'll be making the next interest payment while they seek the best options.
    Feb 21 02:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • KKR Earning Billions; I'll Take 7.3% On The Recently Issued Preferred Stock [View article]
    Glad you liked my article, Uain53. Hopefully there won't be any unrelated business income. I doubt there will be. I'll know for sure when the K-1 is issued for 2013.
    Feb 20 07:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    From the prospectus for the KKR Financial Holdings LLC 7.38% preferred stock ...
    The IRS Schedules K-1 we will provide holders of Series A LLC Preferred Shares will be more complicated than the IRS Forms 1099 provided by REITs and regular corporations to their stockholders, and holders of Series A LLC Preferred Shares may be required to request an extension of time to file their tax returns.

Holders of Series A LLC Preferred Shares will be required to take into account their allocable share of our items of gross ordinary income for our taxable year ending within or with their taxable year. We will use reasonable efforts to furnish holders of Series A LLC Preferred Shares with tax information (including IRS Schedules K-1) as promptly as possible, which describes their allocable share of gross ordinary income for our preceding taxable year. However, we may not be able to provide holders of Series A LLC Preferred Shares with tax information on a timely basis. Because holders will be required to report their allocable share of gross ordinary income, tax reporting for holders of our Series A LLC Preferred Shares will be more complicated than for shareholders of a REIT or a regular corporation. In addition, delivery of this information to holders will be subject to delay in the event of, among other reasons, the late receipt of any necessary tax information from an investment in which we hold an interest. It is therefore possible that, in any taxable year, holders of Series A LLC Preferred Shares will need to apply for extensions of time to file their tax returns.
    Feb 19 05:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ameren Genco Bonds Crushed [View article]
    Wise move in my humble opinion to buy Ameren Genco 32s and 18s at nearly 1/2 price! In the event of default, according to Fitch and S&P, these bonds could be worth 50-70 cents on the dollar. In the interim, you collect a 15-20% yield. If these bonds don't default, they could have a big % price increase from here not even factoring in the interest. These bonds are a great contrarian play; I haven't come across any other fans of these bonds even at their current price. I'd love to know which smart institutional players have been adding these bonds to their portfolio. I wouldn't mortgage my house to buy these bonds even at this price but they seem like a better total return bet than a lot of the alternatives out there. I wonder if the last trade of $1 million+ of the 32s yesterday at 56 was out of order with the bonds offered at around 52 at the same time. Perhaps it was a large block negotiated at 56.
    Feb 12 07:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment