Mark Hibben

View Mark Hibben's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple As An Aspirational Brand [View article]
    Thanks, this is exactly what I was talking about. Apple zealots display all the usual characteristics:

Their general intolerance and lack of respect for those who disagree with them.

Their obliviousness to their own arrogance in the way they flaunt their intolerance and lack of respect.

And worst of all is their abysmal lack of a sense of humor, either about themselves or their Faith.
    Aug 15 11:24 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Won't Build A Cheap iPhone... And Why It Should [View article]
    This probably reflect my populist views, but I consider such "aspirational" brands to be appalling appeals to snobbery. I utterly reject the notion that Apple products should be reserved for the elite few.

As I point out in the article, which many commenters failed to notice, my advocacy of a $300 (unlocked) iPhone is based on a desire to do the right thing: to put iOS devices into the hands of as many people as possible.
    Aug 12 12:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Won't Build A Cheap iPhone... And Why It Should [View article]
    I've advocated lower margins, not complained about them. Please don't misrepresent my views in your haste to lump me in with Michael. I'm not an Apple bear and I'm not shorting the stock.
    Aug 12 11:15 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple iOS Vs. Android: The Wealth Of Ecosystems [View article]
    What publicly available information are you referring to? Most of the article deals with the ascertaining the growth of iOS and Android device populations. I haven't seen any analysis on this. If you know of any, I'd love to see it.
    Jun 30 04:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Where WWDC Hinted, Google IO Delivers... Something [View article]
    I'm a little tired of people claiming that I don't like Apple. As an Apple developer, I do like Apple very much, and I make a point of stating in the article (which you might have noticed if you had read it) that I believe that iOS and iPhone 6 will be superior to Android phones.

That being said, I also believe that Google is closing the gap with iOS. That's really the point of the article. Apple is facing tougher competition from Google.
    Jun 27 12:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Where WWDC Hinted, Google IO Delivers... Something [View article]
    I hope you are right.
    Jun 27 12:28 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Why Netflix Could Follow Beats [View article]
    You're really Beating this to death.
    May 30 06:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why The Apple/Beats Deal May Be Dead [View article]
    Self flagellation has never been my style. I try to write thought provoking articles, and this was one of them. There may be a way to do this without taking risks or challenging conventional wisdom, but I haven't found it yet.

I held off from doing what I consider to be the most speculative thing: predicting whether this would be good or bad for Apple. Speculation is part of our business. Any time you write about the future of a company, it is to some degree speculative. I find in the comments that people only object to speculation when it doesn't accord with their own views.

Raising doubts about the deal seemed to resonate with a great many people, judging by the comments. Now that the deal is done, I still don't feel able to judge this deal, but Apple's management seem to be confident in this new direction. I'm willing to wait and see how things play out.
    May 28 08:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Re-Thinking Universal Display [View article]
    Patents can also apply to imported goods. Most of Apple's patent disputes with Samsung apply to goods manufactured outside the US and imported in, but the patents in question are U.S. patents

Also, if the EPO decision had found the invention claims of EP 238 baseless, this would have been stronger encouragement to challenge the US patents.
    Apr 29 11:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia's Rope-A-Dope Of Microsoft [View article]
    I use Windows 7 and 8.1. Overall Win7 is still my favorite, but I have no problem with Microsoft products per se. I just pay attention to the stats. MS has been stuck in the low 3% range for phones and tablets, according to IDC and Gartner. Does buying Nokia change that?

MS says it will allow them to better integrate hardware and software, but is this really the problem? I would say Windows phones are already better integrated than Android, but Android is still dominant.

Google has taken the formula that MS employed so effectively of combining its OS with commodity hardware to create an ecosystem with a variety of hardware vendors. Microsoft's problem all along has been Google.
    Apr 25 04:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia's Rope-A-Dope Of Microsoft [View article]
    And now Elop is back in charge for MS.
    Apr 25 12:54 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • At Last, Apple Pleases The Market [View article]
    Doing that will probably invite the kind of unflattering comparisons to Jobs that have plagued Cook all along, but I'd like to see it anyway.
    Apr 24 09:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • At Last, Apple Pleases The Market [View article]
    Seeking Alpha limits the number of Apple articles a contributor can write to one per week on average over a month period. SA doesn't try to limit the total number of Apple articles written, nor should they. All contributors deserve to be heard.

As of this morning there were a dozen articles on Apple's earnings, which would certainly be overkill on a conventional news site, but this isn't a conventional news site. It's a blog site.

Normally I don't pay attention to what other contributors are posting, but I will take it into consideration in the future. There's only so much readership pie to go around, and this morning's 1/12th share isn't particularly large.
    Apr 24 11:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ARM Hits A Speed Bump [View article]
    GF isn't going outside of the Common Platform alliance, Samsung is part of that alliance.

My skepticism extends to Global Foundries making good on their promise to be in production on their 14 nm process by mid-year. I think anyone would be skeptical about that.

But I'm not skeptical about the ARM ecosystem being able to erase Intel's process advantage. This I consider highly probable for next year. But I'm certainly willing to acknowledge that there is a chance that might not come to pass. I don't have a crystal ball.

I haven't turned this merely into a matter of spending. But spending is the area where Intel no longer has an advantage. As for expertise, that can be acquired. I doubt even Intel has the arrogance to assume that they are smarter than everyone else.

IBM has significant IP in the form of FinFET patents that it has been sharing with its Common Platform partners.

I think its extremely unreasonable to assume that Intel's process accomplishments can't be reproduced by its better funded competitors.
    Apr 23 10:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ARM Hits A Speed Bump [View article]
    I have shared and continue to share your skepticism regarding GF, but the ARM ecosystem is bigger than GF. Everyone, from ARM down to Apple realizes the threat posed by Intel's 14 nm FinFET, and they've been working for more than a year to counter that threat.

There's a strong Intel lobby that believes deeply in the continuing superiority of Intel's process expertise and I hear from them frequently. I tend to think that it's more a matter of economics.

Each process node gets harder to achieve, therefore more capitally intensive. Intel was able to outspend its competitors such as AMD and IBM (with Motorola and Apple for PowerPC), in order to maintain its process advantage. I question whether Intel can outspend the ARM ecosystem, when you consider that it includes Apple (who is well known to spend lavishly on production equipment in partners' factories), Samsung, Qualcomm, as well as GF and TSMC.

That's why the cooperation among the foundries through bilateral agreements such as the Samsung/GF announcement, as well as the Common Platform alliance sponsored by IBM is important. But it's really the device makers, Apple and Samsung who have the billions to spend to catch up with Intel. We don't have much visibility into capex of these companies, but given the strategic importance to them of 14 nm FinFET, I suspect the spending is substantial.
    Apr 23 06:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment