Mark McQueen

View Mark McQueen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Torstar's Ongoing Value Trap, Part 2 [View article]
    Thanks for stopping by E Nuff

Perhaps Torstar will swing from a skinny $1.8 million of total cash flow in 2013 to $100 million down the road. Perhaps.

Operating cash flow was $81 million last year, but that was before $29 million of capex, $41 million of dividends, etc.

I am focused on the original premise of the article that Torstar was attractive based upon its current book value multiple. Neither of us can analyze with any precision what cash flow will be in three years given the declining nature of the media division's topline, and the impact that the shift in reading habits away from hard copy romance to e-books will have on Harlequin. At least I can't.

But I do note that the operating profit in the book business fell from $82 million in 2011 to $71 million in 2012, and to $48 million in 2013.

MRM
    Apr 5 09:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q10 v2.0 Software Upgrade A Good Start [View article]
    thanks Frankie

it's not that I don't know HOW to edit, its just that I find it very unreliable and hardly worth the trouble. ;-)
    Nov 8 08:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q10 v2.0 Software Upgrade A Good Start [View article]
    The app I bought was called "sync my iTunes". It loaded my catalogue onto the Q10 after a few failed attempts. I can't explain why the 9900 Desktop Manager could find the iTunes catalogue on the same hard drive but the new Blackberry Link cannot. It finds the photos and Word documents without a challenge.

MRM
    Nov 8 08:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q10 v2.0 Software Upgrade A Good Start [View article]
    green_ember
    I will definitely take you up on that offer. Thx
    Nov 8 08:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q10 v2.0 Software Upgrade A Good Start [View article]
    I hope the BB10 users reading the post will know what I am talking about. For the rest, it is software version 10.2.

MRM
    Nov 8 08:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fairfax In The Home Stretch On BlackBerry Acquisition, Right? [View article]
    Cagi

That is a logical conclusion to draw, given the FFH "bid" came the business day after the pre-announcement of a terrible quarter.

MRM
    Oct 25 08:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Fairfax In The Home Stretch On BlackBerry Acquisition, Right? [View article]
    You are right, Michael, that the silence may mean nothing. And if it wasn't for the AIMCO commentary, I would be 95% sure you are spot on.
    Oct 25 08:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Fairfax In The Home Stretch On BlackBerry Acquisition, Right? [View article]
    Plenty

I agree that there is almost always a discount between an offer and the M&A closing date.

With 3 or 4 "bidders" potentially circling BBRY, plus the $9 offer in hand, wouldn't you expect shares to be trading at a premium to the $9, rather than below?

Current quote just speaks to the market's view of the true situation, that's all I was saying.

MRM
    Oct 25 08:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fairfax In The Home Stretch On BlackBerry Acquisition, Right? [View article]
    Blkwtrdragon

How so?

MRM
    Oct 25 08:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Confusion Reigns Over BlackBerry M&A Process [View article]
    As a BB10 user I have an interest in seeing this process succeed, in fact. I am no longer long the stock:

...and would never be short something without disclosing.

Apology accepted.

MRM
    Oct 11 07:05 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • As BlackBerry Shares Swoon, A Different Kind Of Buyer Emerges [View article]
    Hello Toastypro

From its website, DynCorp doesn't appear to be much of a tech company. R&O for aviation, personal security, intel, etc. Cerberus may well have a plan for BBRY. My point is that they appear to have shown up once the stock broke below $8, which suggests a financially-motivated interest and not one of a strategic, tuck-under kind.

You may well be right, but the fact pattern is what drove my post.

MRM
    Oct 4 09:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The BlackBerry Whipsaw Is Fully Under Way [View article]
    Let's not get testy. Here is a post that will give you a sense of what I was referring to:

MRM
    Sep 16 08:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The BlackBerry Whipsaw Is Fully Under Way [View article]
    A bunch of things that mattered to BBRY enterprise customers were dispensed with by the QNX team on the Q10; my theory is that he could help restore some of what made the 70M customers so sticky to date
    Sep 10 05:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Throwing In The Towel On My BlackBerry Shares [View article]
    Thanks for the perspective.

It appears that my "personal incompetence" reflects the experience of many other smartphone consumers, unfortunately, as we saw in RIM's quarterly release yesterday. And that this mirrored "incompetence" saved me tens of thousands of dollars by exiting the stock at C$14.58 on June 21st is a shame I will have to come to terms with. ;-)

The original blog post at http://bit.ly/1255TcO was a lament about the product, not an attack on BBRY longs. It was directed at management in the hopes they can fix things before they become (even more) irreparable. That it drove me to sell the stock, on the basis that I'll do better elsewhere all things being equal, doesn't mean that RIM can't survive. All it meant was that I'd rather have that dollar in HGN than RIM.

I week I'm up 8% versus being down 24%. So my dollar is worth $1.08 now rather than $0.76. Big deal; I'm not a short term trader looking for a small gain. But RIM shares need to go up 42% now just to catch up to the performance of my latest incremental Halogen investment after 5 trading days.

RIM might be a $30 stock in 2016. I hope for management, consumers, shareholders and the nation that it is. And, as I wrote, if the dynamics at the company adjust to make that prospect possible, I'll only be too happy to buy back in when those facts become clear.

In the meantime, investment capital is precious and other pastures look greener at this moment, driven entirely by my sense of the early Q10 launch.

MRM
    Jun 29 09:06 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Throwing In The Towel On My BlackBerry Shares - Part 2 [View article]
    Hello Allnightlong

If you'd like an Affidavit from my broker at Scotia Capital at 40 King Street W. in Toronto attesting to my years as a RIM shareholder I can arrange for same. There are also a dozen days over the past 2 years where we've discussed this same topic on BNN Business News Network. There's no grassy knoll here. A single opinion-oriented blog post at http://bit.ly/1255TcO has no impact on a stock that already has a 32% short position.

MRM