Mark Meadows

View Mark Meadows' Comments BY TICKER:
  • LinkedIn Finally A 'Safe' Short [View article]
    It is. By my own rule, I don't trade on Fed day. But, yes, am watching very closely.
    Jun 19, 2013. 02:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LinkedIn Finally A 'Safe' Short [View article]
    Curious if you are still hot on the stock after today's price action. One day does not a trade make, but the fact that LNKD couldn't test $185 is definitely encouraging for a move lower.
    Jun 18, 2013. 01:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LinkedIn Finally A 'Safe' Short [View article]
    If there were a high short interest, it might worry me at this point - a short squeeze could potentially send LNKD much higher. All you need for the price to drop here is for people to start realizing their gains... which I don't think is a far-fetched proposition.
    Jun 18, 2013. 01:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LinkedIn Finally A 'Safe' Short [View article]
    I would agree with you in that you don't want to get in front of a moving train. This is why I would not have entered the trade at any lower - or for that matter, higher - levels. However, as I mentioned in the article, I believe that LNKD is no longer a moving train.

When going short, you have to be extremely picky due to the inherent risks (and there is a difference between shorting at $178 and $180+). Therefore, I would look to go short at levels above $180 for a break lower, and using a stop (or, more likely, option protection) above the all-time high. $15-20 risk for what I believe could be $60 profit.
    Jun 18, 2013. 08:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Under Meg Whitman's Leadership, HP Stands To Gain 33 Percent [View article]
    Editing mistake - thank you for that.
    Jun 17, 2013. 11:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Add Some Volatility To Your Portfolio [View article]
    Disagree. This week, VXX gained 9.1% compared to 1% decline in SPY. We will see what Bernanke has to say on the 19th... but that will definitely be a defining moment.
    Jun 14, 2013. 05:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Add Some Volatility To Your Portfolio [View article]
    To try to clarify: (1) The Fed's balance sheet has shown a remarkable correlation - or, more likely, causation - with the run-up in the S&P; (2) Bernanke is likely to begin contracting the balance sheet ahead of his departure in January; (3) Should the correlation hold, that, in and of itself, will send the S&P lower. Simultaneously, (4) the VXX has, over the prior quarter, bucked its inverse trend with the S&P - which I believe is a sign that uncertainty is growing despite the S&P's gains... such uncertainty is likely to increase in the months ahead should the S&P begin to fall.

Was not arguing for a long-term buy-and-hold strategy on this. Apologies if that was not clear.
    Jun 14, 2013. 01:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Add Some Volatility To Your Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. Agree, that if we are talking options, then buying insurance is always a good choice. Another would be to sell 2-3 month OTM SPY puts at levels you would feel being long (5-8% lower) and collecting that premium.
    Jun 14, 2013. 09:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Poised For A Volatile Month [View article]
    To me, the 6% move today is exactly what I was referencing. I expect BBRY to be very volatile this month and in the week following earnings before a true direction can be determined. For those of us who like BBRY but remain skeptical, it hurts to see the price jump - but ultimately is a more responsible risk management than rushing in ahead of an important announcement.
    Jun 13, 2013. 11:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Add Some Volatility To Your Portfolio [View article]
    Yes, you are correct in that this is not a long-term buy, look away, and hold. But, for the next 2-3 months, I believe it could do quite well.
    Jun 13, 2013. 12:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Poised For A Volatile Month [View article]
    Well the stock hasn't traded at your "book value" but once in the past year. Can't wish the price higher, but have to look at what the tape gives you.
    Jun 11, 2013. 04:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Poised For A Volatile Month [View article]
    If the Z10/Q10 disappoint, then what does BBRY do? Continue R&D to develop more devices, depleting some of their cash... or break off assets and provide shareholders with realized value? I think the second would be more likely than asking shareholders to continue to support a company whose time has passed.
    Jun 11, 2013. 03:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Poised For A Volatile Month [View article]
    Thanks for your comment. The "trend line" you mention that goes above is not a trend line - it's a Fibo retracement from the recent high/low, but I just don't mention it in the article because SA prefers fundamental analysis. Also, I agree that technically, BBRY doesn't look good - but until it breaks lower, it could still bounce higher.
    Jun 11, 2013. 07:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Poised For A Volatile Month [View article]
    I think that BBRY needs to realize shareholder value. I don't think they have five years to do that. After all, five years ago, the price was above $140 per share.
    Jun 11, 2013. 07:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Poised For A Volatile Month [View article]
    My opinion: would buy around $11. I think the market might get ahead of itself and sell off sharply again. But, at these price levels and until the earnings report this month released, I am not touching the stock.
    Jun 11, 2013. 07:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment