Mark W. Bertolin

View Mark W. Bertolin's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Earnings: Getting Past The Dip [View article]
    Sell APPL Puts while the price is down and enjoy the income. If the world ends and AAPL prices fall enjoy the expanding dividend. Its hard to not get caught up in the media game but earnings are reality. Invest for earnings.
    Jan 28 05:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Now The Fun Begins [View article]
    I neglected to mention that I enjoyed the article and found it helpful and well written.
    Sep 6 08:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Now The Fun Begins [View article]
    iOS 7, Maverick, apple tv, All headed to your living room along with streaming music. Mobile drives current revenue and expectation but content and eco system drive the future. Apple will morph into the new network provider for content as television and media companies did in the past. Winners- Apple, Google, Amazon Losers- Microsoft, Blackberry,Sony. Samsung just sells boxes, they will contribute hardware for the new media distribution and consumption model driven by Apple and Amazon.
    Sep 6 08:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple $700: Don't Get Burned Again [View article]
    There is a market for Timex and General Motors. There is also a market for Rolex and Porsche. They are not the same markets. Google is not apple and regardless of chip and speed comparisons products are different. Its time the market lets Apple be Apple and stops trying to make it a company it does not want to be.
    Aug 19 12:29 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Key Learnings From The Icahn Effect [View article]
    Selling weekly Calls can be a profitable tactic although I have a hard time estimating a strike price for the short term that pays enough to offset the risk of selling shares I want to keep. This tactic makes more sense for those trading AAPL rather than investing. August 23 Calls with a strike 530 were trading Friday at $1.13. I don't think making $100 is lucrative enough to offset the potential loss of the 100 shares if AAPL outperforms through the remainder of 2013. Long dated Calls offer the opportunity to buy them back and keep a portion of the premium if stock prices decline. Thanks for all the comments!
    Aug 17 02:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Key Learnings From The Icahn Effect [View article]
    It is interesting that AAPL continues to inch up as the market turns down. Sentiment could well be turning more positive for Apple.
    Aug 16 11:59 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Key Learnings From The Icahn Effect [View article]
    Aids Patient: I would agree with your technical assessment if programmed trading was at work here. We will never know the level of algorithm trades but in this case I believe it was people following Icahns lead that took the price higher rather than momentum.
    Aug 16 11:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Key Learnings From The Icahn Effect [View article]
    Gene S. I think you have nailed the backdrop. Thanks for the comment.
    Aug 15 09:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Apple Exist 3 Years From Now? How Much Will It Be Worth? [View article]
    Very interesting read. I enjoy your articles as they generally run counter to my directional assessment. Its time to buy more AAPL and stay long with current shares. Apple is a very different company from those you use as reference points. They like any company can stubble and fail but with your three year horizon I feel its more likely they go up from here. I don't expect iPhone 1 launch style market dominance but nice steady growth, that is debt free, while paying a dividend is just fine with me. I look forward to your followup article and how you value their eco system.
    Feb 22 12:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Sure Looks Cheap [View article]
    Long apple and plan to stay there. The recent stock pricing has been an education in what a company that is disconnected from its stock looks like. At some point in the future both will once again meet and the robust Apple business will reward all who understand what stock manipulation and hysteria looks like. It might be awhile before it climbs back to $700 but dropping and holding a low price seems to me improbable.
    Jan 17 02:04 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Listen To The Quiet [View article]
    Thanks for the comments. In response to Marine1's comment I do believe that the China Mobile deal with Nokia and others can impact Apple sales if they don't get a contract done, but I see the market as additive to sales not a risk to the downside. As the China market grows Apple will be part of it and their luxury brand status is a niche not easily competed with. Of all the competitors I view Nokia as the most problematic for Apple in China.
    Dec 10 01:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple May Be Worth $1111, But Shares Won't Get There Anytime Soon [View article]
    I found your article insightful,helpful and logical. I have been disappointed in much of the press during the Apple correction. They jump to all kinds of unfounded conclusions based on product competitiveness as did FinanceHuligan. Lets leave the product discussions to the marketing guys and focus, as you did, on the stock. I agree with your thesis and am long AAPl both stock and Calls.
    Nov 27 05:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Apple Ahead Of This Week's Earnings Announcement [View article]
    Its a tough call but the conservative data shows that institutional investors are exiting I presume due to the tech decline and a desire to move to cash where profits are located and hedge the fiscal cliff. I believe Apple has a profitable year ahead but don't expect them to make earnings estimates. I expect a drop after earnings and a bump with the announcement tomorrow.
    Oct 22 06:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How We Made 613% With Apple Options In 7 Weeks And Expect To Do It Again In 4 Months [View article]
    I like the strategy but why so closely dated? Why not run some out into 2013 or add calls to capture your anticipated upside over $800?
    Sep 16 10:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is It Finally Time To Take Profits On Apple? [View article]
    Paul I always read your articles and appreciate your work and analysis. I think in the case of the first major product refresh cycle in two years that the tactics in this article are too risky for the rewards. In my last article http://seekingalpha.co... I outlined an options plan that I executed and is up nearly 70%, is more conservative and looks to be more profitable. I stay away from having shares called away with Apple. It's to difficult to recapture the basis with such growth. I agree with your price target of $750. Good hunting and thanks for the article.
    Aug 21 11:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment