Mark Wallace

View Mark Wallace's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Mongolia Revokes Licenses On Rio Tinto Mine [View article]
    Bob,

I have to say that I had a modicum of respect for your opinion until this last set of comments.

First, Mogi and Nick are both in Mongolia. Nick may come and go a bit, but Mogi IS a Mongolian, and IS on the ground. He is also probably one of the most reliable of the financial journalists in the country. But I don't need to defend Mogi, he can do that quite well on his own.

I'm not trying to bash you, but when you say, "We have to rely on professional journalists of the financial press" I have to laugh. I spent time on the ground in UB, and my partners (who spent a lot of time there) and I met the so-called professional journalists you speak of... the bureau chief for one in particular... Not impressed.

Here's a few questions for you Bob. Have you been to Mongolia? How much time have you spent in the country speaking to execs of mining companies? Do you have any personal, credible sources on the ground? Do you have any money invested in the country?

Seriously, if you're going to give advice in a forum like this to investors, some of whom may actually take your comments seriously, I'd do a bit more than clipping news articles and telling them to read Reuters and Bloomberg! That's irresponsible, and akin to telling people to get their world news from CNBC and CNN. But maybe you think those are also 'credible' sources..?

Mar 5 10:31 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mongolia Revokes Licenses On Rio Tinto Mine [View article]
    Marpy,

The confusion stems from getting information from people that are not on the ground. No intelligent investor or speculator should do that.

Mogi and Nick, plus John Springer are about the only 3 I would pay attention to. Mogi and Nick are both in UB.

Mar 4 08:08 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mongolia Revokes Licenses On Rio Tinto Mine [View article]
    We have written extensively on Mongolia as well at CapitalistExploits.at

This is a populist hiccup. ALL of our sources within Mongolia are bullish. This is classic blood in the streets stuff. As a speculator it is what we live for.

If you are a conservative investor, wait for confirmation, there will be plenty of time to make money in Mongolia!

Mar 3 09:20 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Argentina Will Default In 2013 [View article]
    Moon,

I agree with your comments up until the statement that Argentina, "will be able to restart a capitalist economy." Argentina is a fascist state. the closest thing to capitalism is its underground economy. Until they kick out the Kirchenerites I am afraid the place will remain a disaster, default or not.

Excellent article overall.
    Mar 1 11:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mongolia Revokes Licenses On Rio Tinto Mine [View article]
    Goldozone,

Your comments on Mongolia are inaccurate. China is as far from calling the shots in Mongolia as you are.

Also agree with Marpy, this is old news and the situation is fluid.

Long TRQ and long EGI.

Mar 1 11:31 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Stocks - Are You Kidding Me? [View instapost]
    Gnuoune,

Not sure I follow you on that.. I'm not a financial planner, but I'm pretty sure a retired guy shouldn't be speculating in junior resource stocks...

Good luck.
    Sep 2 06:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crowdfunding - The Real Story [View article]
    Eamon,

I've written on the education thing quite a bit. Check out our site for some of our thoughts on "higher education."

I sent my nephew to Mongolia to run a startup for us. He's getting an education he couldn't dream of in university.

Jun 8 08:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crowdfunding - The Real Story [View article]
    IronMeteor,

I agree... The only reason for the accredited/non-accredited designation is to eliminate the competition. It's just another way for the powers that be to "rig the game" in their favor.

Crowdfunding gives the little guy a chance.

Jun 8 08:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crowdfunding - The Real Story [View article]
    Whidbey,

Curious to hear your thoughts on why it's a bad idea? I don't see this one dying, as it's already moved through.

I don't want to comment further until I see your direction on this.

Thanks,

Jun 7 01:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissecting Crowdfunding [View article]
    Samuel,

Thanks for offering that up. I messaged you privately with my email address.

I just posted another crowdfunding article, an interview with Motaavi CEO Nick Bhargava. It appears that Nick's business model is similar to that of a BD.

My comments weren't so much an interpretation (I wasn't intending that) as an observation that I was looking for more information on. You've helped out in that regard, as has Nick through his interview.

Cheers,

May 17 03:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissecting Crowdfunding [View article]
    Thanks for your comment Samuel...

I believe I'm actually saying the opposite (but I want to qualify that by mentioning that I don't yet know the answer).

Sites can mention investments publicly, but MY current understanding of the law, which may or may not be accurate, is that they cannot accept compensation, whether from companies or promoters.

Hence my question... How will these sites make money?

I'm actually interviewing the CEO of one of the top up-and-coming crowdfunding sites next week, so stay tuned. We should get some much-needed answers to these questions!

Thanks again for commenting.

May 3 03:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissecting Crowdfunding [View article]
    Not sure that would fly either, but they may be able to charge investors a subscription fee that included value-added services.
    Apr 28 08:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissecting Crowdfunding [View article]
    Tom,

The law as written excludes foreign issuers. I think what you're getting at though is seeing if they've figured out a way to monetize that would not run afoul of the law in the States..?

Apr 28 08:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissecting Crowdfunding [View article]
    Mostserene1,

Second Market is an excellent venue, but it's really geared more towards trading in private stock that is already issued, and/or restricted securities in public companies.

Apr 28 08:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissecting Crowdfunding [View article]
    KWM,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with your statement in the second paragraph of your reply regarding "scattershot shareholders."

I've been involved with pub co's for a long time, and it's always the guy with 10 shares that's blowing up your phone every day. 1,000 of those guys would be a nightmare!

I've posted another article over on my instablog, an interview with Jeff Bone, He discusses VC's, versus angels, versus crowdfunding. You might enjoy that one as well, as he has some interesting perspectives.

Apr 28 08:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment