Market Folly

View Market Folly's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Whitney Tilson's Lesson on 13Fs and Updated InterOil Position [View article]
    I'm appalled that you would insinuate that I am aiding any sort of illegal activity. I cover hedge funds on a daily basis on the site. It's very rare you see any sort of color from these funds on their shorts so obviously once I saw the info I passed it along. Just as I pass along info I discover relating to hedge fund long positions. I have no ties to any of the hedge funds covered whatsoever and no interests/positions in IOC so I'm completely impartial. Tossing around loose accusations as you are is frivolous.
    Sep 1 09:53 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axial Capital Adds to QLTI Position Again [View article]
    Hi tirereviews thanks very much for bringing this to my attention. I haven't followed the story as closely as you.
    Aug 20 05:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Attention Bloomberg: Gold Is Not Eric Mindich's Biggest Holding [View article]
    Good thoughts, that could certainly be one explanation as to why they came to that conclusion. The only peculiar thing was the fact that they didn't mention options positions of any sort (on either EEM or GLD).

We definitely should have brought up the notional exposure as that's certainly something to keep in mind. Thanks for highlighting that. Either way, the interpretation comes down to discrepancies and this just goes to show that 13F's should be taken with a grain of salt.

And even so, you should only track value oriented managers that operate mainly in equities. Since Eton Park is an arbitrage fund, who knows what other type of exposure/positions they have in other markets. One could argue that both GLD and puts on EEM are hedging instruments for them anyways.
    Aug 19 02:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Fair point indeed, their ownership of GLD shares is sizable; there's no denying that. It's just hard to figure out their net position exactly when you factor in the calls and puts on top of it.
    Aug 19 02:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Broyhill's Affinity Hedge Fund Is Betting on Deflation [View article]
    Definitely wrong headline and not my fault, I apologize. The original article on my site clearly says deflation. No clue why they changed it.
    Aug 8 12:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Broyhill's Affinity Hedge Fund Is Betting on Deflation [View article]
    For some reason, they changed the title from deflation to inflation.... NO CLUE why that happened as it is obvious they are betting on deflation from the article. My apologies as I have no idea how that happened.
    Aug 8 12:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hedge Fund Tiger Global Targets the Tech Sector [View article]
    Thanks James. Very interesting to see their LinkedIn investment too. It seems Tiger is gradually moving into the social media space in addition to all of their travel/portal investments. Wonder if they're trying to garner Facebook or Twitter shares even. Will be interesting to follow.
    Jul 29 04:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hedge Funds Increase Short Exposure Yet Still Suffer Poor Performance [View article]
    What is this motor ad you're talking about? Something you saw on SeekingAlpha or on MarketFolly?

I linked to articles on the site because they are relevant because we have a running commentary of hedge fund exposure levels each week. I'm sorry if you did not find these articles useful.
    Jul 9 08:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • John Paulson's Hedge Fund Starts New Positions in MGM Mirage, Apache, Mylan and More [View article]
    I guess you didn't read the article carefully. In one of the top paragraphs before the positions it explicitly states that these positions were as of March 31st, 2010. As such, they should be taken with a grain of salt because they are on a timelagged basis. At the same time, this is one of the very few instances were you can see a snapshot of their equities portfolio so it makes perfect sense to check in on them.
    May 29 11:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hedge Fund Maverick Capital Likes Technology and Consumer Services [View article]
    "We" being the Market Folly team of myself as the writer/editor and tons of readers who supply resources/occasional posts.
    May 24 11:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Andreas Halvorsen's Viking Global Doubles Down on Google, CME Group, News Corp [View article]
    Not really odd when you consider they all technically come from the same fundamental research style. Not to mention, it's obvious evident they still keep in touch with each other and share picks/bounce ideas around.
    May 24 11:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    We mainly track longer term oriented hedge funds in an effort to provide investors with solid ideas to do more due diligence on. In general, if you were to 'follow' a hedge fund, you'd want to track their top holdings as those are most likely the positions they won't sell out of quickly. We use Alphaclone to backtest the performance of these funds to know which hedge funds have lower turnover and are worth following. Our readers can receive a free 30 day trial here: bit.ly/freealphaclone
    May 23 03:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bruce Berkowitz's Recovery Play Focuses on Financials [View article]
    Very true, this was an oversight on our part. Thanks for pointing this out!
    May 23 03:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hedge Fund Pabrai Still Favors Natural Resource Plays [View article]
    Thank you very much for the kind words, I'm glad you found it resourceful.
    May 22 02:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hedge Fund Pershing Square's Portfolio Update: Ackman Unloads ADP [View article]
    Hmm there must be an error on the ticker symbol, sorry about that. It is definitely Hyatt Hotels.
    May 19 03:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment