Market Scholar

View Market Scholar's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Gold Outlook Still Bullish And Ripening For Melt Up [View article]
    There are very good arguments for both the long and short side for gold right now. I think however it is safe to say that we have seen an extended consolidation period, and, upon breakout of the consolidation, we could be poised for a serious move. Here's a recent technical view http://bit.ly/OQlWsI
    Aug 8 06:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Monster A Monster Short? Earnings This Week Could Trigger Further Sell-Off [View article]
    I do. I was and am still long September $100 puts. At close yesterday however I hedged some of my risk and bought Fridays $110 calls just in case of a strong beat. In the case of a positive beat I think we'd get a pop but then it would sell off in the near future.

While I think there's a lot of room on the downside, an entry at this point is quite a bit more difficult as LNKD is down 15% from highs a couple days ago... I would consult with J.W. Jones at http://bit.ly/RdroYz, he could probably give you better insight into an options strategy as my experience in the area is limited.
    Aug 2 12:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is LinkedIn The Next Netflix? Analysis Of High P/E And Growth Stocks [View article]
    Just a little insurance policy as it is an extremely volatile stock and could easily make new highs if they generate profits from their large revenue numbers. I am long September 100 puts and up ~70% on them, so this just reduces my risk. I am still as bearish as ever, and I hope the calls expire well out of the money!
    Aug 1 05:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Just hedged some of my exposure with $110 Friday calls in the case of a positive beat
    Aug 1 04:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I'll disclose I am now short MWW through Aug puts
    Jul 31 10:03 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LinkedIn: Insight From Facebook's Earnings Regarding International Revenues [View article]
    This is true, and I can attest to that. The benefits derived from a premium membership are minimal, and the majority are obtained within a free one
    Jul 31 05:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I should have been more clear, I don't think Apple's miss is the end of growth story, just more so the end of the exponential growth they've had in the past. I'm actually somewhat bullish on it alone, but I think Samsung etc are finally producing serious pressure that will prevent another 50% stock price appreciation in three months from happening again
    Jul 31 04:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Nice, there were some good opportunities this morning for that!
    Jul 30 12:40 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Unfortunately the answer to that questions is "no"; I'm not aware of any specific recent developments that would lead to a miss. Accordingly, I am also short through puts (Sept $100)

Technically I thought it finally looked like a good entry, however Friday's rebound in price wasn't exactly ideal. I still like it though. There's a little more of a technical write-up at http://bit.ly/Pf5nCn
    Jul 30 05:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yah thats a good point about the groups, all spam now. I wont be surprised if they fade out like Facebook groups
    Jul 29 07:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I don't think they ever would or should go that route. I would imagine it would be less than 5%, as is the case I believe with LinkedIn and a lot of online dating sites (which are somewhat comparable).

Perhaps they can offer premium features, but they would likely have to be new features, as people would not want to start paying for something they previously received free.
    Jul 29 02:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Well said, pretty much the same perspective I have
    Jul 28 02:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ultra-Low Interest Rates Indicate U.S Stocks Are Cheap [View article]
    I'm curious, if you don't mind sharing, what kind of move you are looking for in your short TLT position, or how long you presently intend on holding it?
    Jul 28 01:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Perhaps that's why they had to double their staff in the last year? (Ha, I am not being serious here..)

But yes, another good point

On an unrelated note, and I posted this on my other article on LinkedIn, http://bit.ly/SZ4pPn, check out a recent survey by jobvite at http://bit.ly/SZ4pPn. It's interesting to see that recruiters are spending significant time beyond LinkedIn in the other social networks for the hiring process.

I don't think LinkedIn will disappear, rather it will likely dominate at least in the short run, but it should be interesting to see how much the other social networks can chip away at LinkedIn's recruiting revenues..
    Jul 28 01:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    That's a good question. My focus right now is on LinkedIn, however as Monster is a competitor, I will be spending some time on it very shortly.

On a side note, I just stumbled upon an interesting article, http://bit.ly/SZ4pPn

It's interesting to see that beyond LinkedIn recruiters are still actively using Facebook and Twitter in their process.

Make me think, what if Twitter allowed members to fill out more profile information? Just a thought....

I don't think LinkedIn is going to disappear, and I think it will dominate for the near term. But, it will be interesting to see how all the other networks can chip away at their profits...
    Jul 28 12:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment