Martin Rice

View Martin Rice's Comments BY TICKER:
  • We Are Adding Subscribers For 2015; Join Us! [View instapost]
    RS, how do we pay you for a subscription?
    Dec 15, 2014. 04:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Portfolio For Dummies - The Health Care REIT Components [View article]
    scoots, if I understand you correctly, here's the answer to your question. Look at the first two "comments" from factoids. They're opposites. If you agree with the first one, then click the "Like" button at the bottom of the comment on the right side. If you agree with the second one, click on the "Like" button at the bottom of the second comment on the right hand side.
    Dec 10, 2014. 08:07 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What You Can Do To Perhaps Avoid Dividend Cuts [View article]
    Thanks, R.Fitz. Been consumed with other things since April. Now things have changed drastically in relation to my investing needs and I'm working on an article about it that I hope to publish in a week to 10 days if SA will have it.

Thanks for asking.
    Dec 9, 2014. 04:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What You Can Do To Perhaps Avoid Dividend Cuts [View article]
    rratty, very interesting comment, at least for me. I hadn't thought of it before when looking at my position sizes. Because I tend to focus on actual dollars rather than yield percentages, then looking at position sizes in terms of dollars -- which is how I understand what you're saying -- makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm going to look at my portfolio with this metric added. Thanks for the idea.
    Dec 9, 2014. 08:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Prospect Capital: Why I Don't Care If Prospect Cuts Its Dividend [View article]
    But I have to agree with the comment that people don't buy yield, they buy an income stream. For those of us who are retired and whose income from SS and pensions is bolstered by our investment income stream, dollars are what count, not yield percentages which change almost every day based on changes in price.

Yes, 9%-10% is a nice yield. But if the dividend were cut, regardless of yield, I'd have less money coming in every time the dividend is paid. And the dollars that come in are the reasons I invest.

Long PSEC.
    Dec 6, 2014. 08:57 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Shark Tank Approach To These Riskier REITs [View article]
    About Mr. Wonderful. Back in 1989 I founded a company that was bought in 1993 by the biggest company in the field (educational software), The Learning Company. I stayed with on with TLC as a ranking executive.

Then, in about 1998, Kevin's company at the time, Softkey International, carried out a successful hostile takeover of our company - the first hostile takeover in the industry ever (and maybe since).

I was made an offer too good to refuse to stay on as a senior VP. Consequently, I spent a year working very closely with Kevin, reporting directly to him. His persona on the show really does make him Mr. Wonderful compared to how he was on the job. He really is a tough guy as you point out in the beginning of the article, but a lot tougher than on the show.

I can't count the times he'd say "Martin, hop on a plane and fly to . . . (places all over the world) and "whack those guys," or "that guy" or "that operation." "Whack" was one of his favorite words.

He might not be Mr. Wonderful, but he's really, really smart. I stayed with him for a year before retiring and actually really enjoyed it.
    Dec 4, 2014. 05:13 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Considering Selling My Core Position In Coca-Cola [View article]
    I own some KO, not a great deal, about 430 shares, and have liked it for many of the reasons you state that make it worthwhile liking and owning.

What I liked most about your article, however, was your description of the considerations concerning stock ownership that are differentiated according to the investor's position as being retired or as being in the accumulation stage of his or her life.

I like to think of myself as a DG investor, but the more I've been thinking about it, the more I'm thinking that I really need to move the balance of my portfolio from DG to DI(ncome) investing.

At 77 and, fortunately comfortable without a penny of debt, beyond staying up with inflation as far as growth goes, what I really need and want from my portfolio is more (relatively safe) income in order to allow us to have more fun during this late stage of our lives.

Consequently, your article has helped bolster my my belief that my current portfolio analysis/re-evaluation with the aim of moving from DG to more of DI, is the right thing for me to be doing now.

Finally, I really like the way you write: being an old language and lit guy, that always means a lot to me.
    Nov 29, 2014. 06:18 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Dividend Cuts But Were Afraid To Ask [View article]
    djsulli, in fact it is global warming that's causing all these cold snaps. To being with, you might read this:

Large atmospheric waves move upward from the troposphere — where most weather occurs — into the stratosphere, which is the layer of air above the troposphere. These waves, which are called Rossby waves, transport energy and momentum from the troposphere to the stratosphere. This energy and momentum transfer generates a circulation in the stratosphere, which features sinking air in the polar latitudes and rising air in the lowest latitudes. As air sinks, it warms. If the stratospheric air warms rapidly in the Arctic, it will throw the circulation off balance. This can cause a major disruption to the polar vortex, stretching it and — sometimes — splitting it apart.

Or, if you want to really understand, read the whole story here: http://ti.me/1qcmwpQ

Martin -- freezing in Chattanooga along with Bob.
    Nov 17, 2014. 07:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: One Basic Flaw Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    I had about 10K in Detroit munis at the time they declared bankruptcy. A few months later I was able to sell them through Fidelity on the open market with no problem. I only took a $400.00 loss.

And major municipal bankruptcies are really, really rare, especially if you're buying highly rated GO bonds.

By the way, this comment wasn't to defend or blast holding munis in one's income portfolio, but only to say that if a municipality goes bankrupt that doesn't mean that you automatically lose what you had it its bonds.
    Nov 8, 2014. 12:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Just curious about the 8.5% dividend growth you mention. For us DGI investors, when looking into the future for planning, as this article does, the rate of DG is extremely important.

Most sites I look at, including the two brokerages I use, usually show percentages of growth for 1, 3, and 5 years.

I was wondering which of those figures DGIs here on SA use when planning and projecting?
    Nov 8, 2014. 11:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Pathway To Creating Wealth With REIT Diversification [View article]
    Thanks for the clarification, PendragonY. I understand what you're saying.
    Oct 31, 2014. 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Pathway To Creating Wealth With REIT Diversification [View article]
    Pendragon, you ask "But didn't all companies that carry a large amount of debt and or pay large yields take a hit at that time too?" I believe the answer is certainly yes.

However, many investors, including me, are generally very careful about buying stocks with large debt ratios and wary about buying stocks with large yields.

Not having many stocks like that in your portfolio would have helped protect you during that FED trial balloon.
    Oct 30, 2014. 03:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Selling A Few Shares Is Not The Same As Getting A Dividend [View article]
    In a way I think this comment by Robert Allan Schwartz says it all about this endless back and forth between dividend (growth) investors and non-DGI investors over so many articles and endless comments.

To a huge degree it's a matter of WHAT MATTERS to the writer. There are loads of reasons that what matters is different for you or for me, things like, just two examples, investing horizon and personal goals.

I really think that there is no right or wrong on this issue. The only thing that matters is what matters to a given individual.
    Sep 24, 2014. 09:32 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Selling A Few Shares Is Not The Same As Getting A Dividend [View article]
    In the hundreds and hundreds of SA articles I've read about dividend investing, I've never seen anyone say that the price doesn't drop when the dividend day arrives.

What people say and what my experience has taught me is that there's no way to tell after that instant, momentaneous drop what the price will do. Sometimes it drops more, sometimes in increases; sometimes these things happen on that day, sometimes it takes a couple of weeks.

All the best DI and DGI investors I know and read state all the time that dividend capture strategies are a fool's game.

And, the fact is, that there are some folks who play the dividend capture game, but they're not what generally on SA are referred to as dividend investors.
    Jul 11, 2014. 03:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How One Retiree Is Muddling Through Dividend Investing: Part IX - My Dividend Investment Business Plan [View article]
    Gerry and DJ I decided this was a good time for averaging down so I just increased my position with another 150 shares. Hated to see that dip go to waste.
    Jul 9, 2014. 10:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment