Martin Rice

View Martin Rice's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Is Tupperware Brands The Perfect Dividend Growth Stock For Retirement Portfolios? [View article]
    Enthusiastic, where did you find your D/E figure? On M* it shows at 2.5. Nevertheless, when compared to the industry average of 0.5 (also on M*), it does seem high.
    Apr 28 09:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Follow The Herd, Consider STAG Instead [View article]
    Brad, thanks for this in-depth article. I was planning on selling STAG this morning when the market opened. But then I saw your article and decided to read it first (the market still doesn't open for 15 minutes).

I don't understand why your FAST graph is different than mine. I looked at FAST and changed the years to 4 to agree with yours (instead of the default 5). Then I of course clicked the Funds From Operations (Basic) radio button.

But I don't see the same thing as your graph shows. The date and price are the same, but mine defaults to an orange line P/FFO=Gx15.2 while yours shows P/FFO=Gx22.3.

Your P/FFO:15.6 is different (and better) than my P/FFO:16.3

All this results in your black price line being well below the orange F line while mine is above.

I'm wondering whether this is due to your having used overrides in the left-hand settings column the only think I can think of?

If so, could you please tell us what you changed and why?

Thanks.
    Apr 28 09:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The REIT Way To Invest In A Wide Moat Of Dividend Repeatability [View article]
    I wouldn't mind getting in HCN but unfortunately it's price seems though the roof right now. :-(
    Apr 27 04:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is There One REIT Every Investor Should Own? [View article]
    I like your analogy!
    Apr 27 03:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retired? How To Create A Strong Foundation Of Valuation Under Your Portfolio: Part 2 [View article]
    Good and deserved reply, Dave. Especially liked the last paragraph.
    Apr 26 03:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Is A Long-Term Play [View article]
    CSCO is a good buy currently; it's quite undervalued compared to its normal P/E ratio of 23.6. The price is also below even a 15.0 P/E. It has a payout ratio of only 45% which makes the 3.2% dividend look quite sustainable. It only has a 16% Debt/Capital ratio, further making the dividend's sustainability look good.

It's 5 yr. estimated total return is 14.3%.

For a dividend investor like me, it's a great buy and I'm about to add to my small position.

For someone looking for a super high growth stock, it's probably not such a great buy, though it can easily be considered a medium growth holding.

Like so many stocks, whether it looks good or not depends on your goal for it.
    Apr 25 05:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is 'Quality' In A Stock? [View article]
    Great article, Dave. This has been a question that has been on my mind lately, as you know.

One question: In your list of multiple winners I see WMC with 4. I assume that you mean WMT and that's a typo?

Thanks for this broad study about what the elusive term "quality" might mean.
    Apr 24 06:07 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How One Retiree Is Muddling Through Dividend Investing: Part X - My Investment Plan Vs. Reality [View article]
    Thanks, allday. It sounds as though it would be good for your diversification.
    Apr 24 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My KISS Dividend Portfolio: 1st Quarter 2014 Update [View article]
    BigIslandBum, thanks for developing this extension. It's sorely needed.
    Apr 24 11:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    allday, thanks for writing. I always appreciate reading your thoughts. Thanks also for sharing your holdings with us.

I was wondering what made you decide to look at financials, if you'd care to share?
    Apr 24 10:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    bigreded, thanks for commenting and congratulations on posting your first comment to S.A. I hope we hear lots more from you.

I do keep track on yield on cost and look at it to see whether my dividend growth strategy is actually working and whenever I'm making decisions about selling. I haven't incorporated it into the scoring system yet, however.

I'm in the process of looking at both HCN and HCP (as well as OHI) at the similar suggestion of Bob Wells. Thanks for reinforcing that suggestion. I agree that I need to get healthcare into my REIT portfolio.

Again, thanks for writing.
    Apr 24 10:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SDS, thanks for your comment. I think most people agree with you that we can't blindly assume that what worked in the past will be valid in the future.
    Apr 24 10:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Small, good to hear from you. Thanks for commenting. If anything I've written has helped even in the smallest way, it's very gratifying to hear. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with your message to chowder. Yeah, Smuf's a trouble maker, but he's a good guy, too (LOL).
    Apr 24 10:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    IBT2, thanks for commenting and the kind words. Looking forward to hearing more from you, considering your long experience in investing which I'm sure many of us could profit from.
    Apr 24 10:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave, thanks for writing. Your remark about human bias or discretionary decision making is similar, I think, to David Van Knapp's comment, "The idea is not to "cheat" by changing the plan just because you want to do something outside of it . . ."

It is a constant danger, of course, until you've really made overcoming the temptation a integral part of your activity.

Thanks for the link to the AAII article. I'll be sure to read it.
    Apr 24 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment