Matt Cilderman

View Matt Cilderman's Comments BY TICKER:
    Static,

Gold is my insurance. When you buy home insurance, you are not sure if your house wil catch on fire or be ruined in a tornado, etc. I am not sure if or how disaster will come. However, I am preparing for the possibility. Gold is one of the ways I am doing that.

Also, as stated previously, there is a lot of room between a run on a bank and complete savagery (The Road by McCarthy).

Thanks for commenting
    Matt
    May 23, 2012. 05:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Doomsday Investment Challenge [View article]
    This is mine:
    The 1 Investment Everyone Should Own
    May 21, 2012. 05:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 1 Investment Everyone Should Own [View article]
    Maybe i should have talked about investing in gun manufacturers

People are nervous about the future, buying treasuries and guns.
    May 21, 2012. 12:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Chose BHP Billiton Over Vale [View article]
    Paul,

Thanks for stopping by. I was referring to US income/ capital gains taxes. Am i wrong?
    May 21, 2012. 06:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 1 Investment Everyone Should Own [View article]
    Thanks for the support, Todd!
    May 21, 2012. 06:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rw84041,

Thanks for stopping by. I do agree that guns and food are also part of a good insurance policy. However, this is a stock investment website and the article was originally rejected for not making a stock recommendation. Also, I believe there is a big gap between now and a crisis where guns are needed. For the chaos in between, i like gold.

thoughts?

Matt
    May 21, 2012. 06:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 1 Investment Everyone Should Own [View article]
    Ray Dalio is the man! Thanks for sharing.

Matt
    May 21, 2012. 06:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 1 Investment Everyone Should Own [View article]
    Please see my comments to Mbkelly, Recusant and Zach Tripp.

thanks for reading and commenting,
    Matt
    May 20, 2012. 06:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 1 Investment Everyone Should Own [View article]
    I am agnostic on the price, i want the protection.

thanks
    Matt
    May 20, 2012. 06:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave,

Please check out my response to Mbkelly, Recusant and Zach Tripp.

Thanks,
    Matt
    May 20, 2012. 06:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Market Ace,

Well said. The vast numbers of people who believe in gold make it to be valuable.

ps...not going to get my divs in gold, just sharing the idea.

thanks for adding to the discussion
    Matt Cilderman
    May 20, 2012. 06:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mbkelly, Recusant and Zach Tripp,

I am really enjoying your discussion and would like to jump in.

I agree that DGI stocks have been shown to beat inflation; I just like to diversify in case they don’t. For inflation protection I own some DG miners and oil majors. My main reason for owning gold is that it offers insurance. I understand that there are qualms about the manipulation of the markets by etfs, etc. Also, during the last crisis, the price of gold went down at times due to forced selling. In my mind I would be using it during a time where their pricing has become irrelevant. As I said to Knight 722, “ Also, during the time of crisis, in the event that something does have to be traded for food...i'd rather have gold than a silly piece of paper with pictures on it!” let me also add stock certificates to that.

For the record: I do not intend to convert my div’s to gold; I just wanted to show how much the 2 groups have in common and introduce a way that you could get gold if you want to. I am a big fan of reinvestment and compounding.

Ps…I was disappointed that this article was placed in the Precious Metals section because for me it really relates to Dividends and income more.

Thanks, guys for a great discussion,
    Matt
    May 20, 2012. 06:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Optionmike,

The only problem is that that solution works until it doesn’t. Gold is my insurance. I still own equities and enjoy watching price go higher, but…

Also, as we are finding out in the US, we can’t afford to keep inflating. Gold is good in either inflation or deflation.

Thanks for joining the discussion.

Matt
    May 20, 2012. 06:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SDS,

Never knew the Talmud gave investment advice; a nice little tidbit.

I am confused as to your belief in gold but dislike of how it is priced. Care to explain?

Matt Cilderman
    May 20, 2012. 06:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ray Dalio explains the concept of a beautiful deleveraging and why the U.S. is in one, but the EU, not so much. He expects the ECB will ultimately print money and produce another big rally, "but this is a tougher time to be very confident about that scenario." An "uncivilized" man, Dalio remains a fan of gold, recommending most have 10% of their assets in the metal.  [View news story]
    College enrollment is up because so many people are out of work.

For a number of other american teens, they still think they can waste $40,000 getting drunk and someone will hand them a job when they get out. One of the worst things about the credit bubble of the last 20 years is that it made our nation fat, and lazy. They need a "deleveraging" of the mind, a reality check back to what hard work looks like.

BTW. I am not lumping you in with my generalization and i wish you success in your future!
    May 19, 2012. 07:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment