Matt Cilderman

View Matt Cilderman's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • The 1 Investment Everyone Should Own [View article]
    Mbkelly, Recusant and Zach Tripp,

I am really enjoying your discussion and would like to jump in.

I agree that DGI stocks have been shown to beat inflation; I just like to diversify in case they don’t. For inflation protection I own some DG miners and oil majors. My main reason for owning gold is that it offers insurance. I understand that there are qualms about the manipulation of the markets by etfs, etc. Also, during the last crisis, the price of gold went down at times due to forced selling. In my mind I would be using it during a time where their pricing has become irrelevant. As I said to Knight 722, “ Also, during the time of crisis, in the event that something does have to be traded for food...i'd rather have gold than a silly piece of paper with pictures on it!” let me also add stock certificates to that.

For the record: I do not intend to convert my div’s to gold; I just wanted to show how much the 2 groups have in common and introduce a way that you could get gold if you want to. I am a big fan of reinvestment and compounding.

Ps…I was disappointed that this article was placed in the Precious Metals section because for me it really relates to Dividends and income more.

Thanks, guys for a great discussion,
    Matt
    May 20 06:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 1 Investment Everyone Should Own [View article]
    Optionmike,

The only problem is that that solution works until it doesn’t. Gold is my insurance. I still own equities and enjoy watching price go higher, but…

Also, as we are finding out in the US, we can’t afford to keep inflating. Gold is good in either inflation or deflation.

Thanks for joining the discussion.

Matt
    May 20 06:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 1 Investment Everyone Should Own [View article]
    SDS,

Never knew the Talmud gave investment advice; a nice little tidbit.

I am confused as to your belief in gold but dislike of how it is priced. Care to explain?

Matt Cilderman
    May 20 06:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ray Dalio explains the concept of a beautiful deleveraging and why the U.S. is in one, but the EU, not so much. He expects the ECB will ultimately print money and produce another big rally, "but this is a tougher time to be very confident about that scenario." An "uncivilized" man, Dalio remains a fan of gold, recommending most have 10% of their assets in the metal.  [View news story]
    Robin,

I would argue that, while the education system is not perfect, it is not declining. What is declining is America's desire to be educated.

Matt
    May 19 02:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 1 Investment Everyone Should Own [View article]
    Recusant,

Well said. I completely agree!
    May 19 06:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Charlie Munger: Civilized People Don't Buy Gold [View article]
    Hey all,

As i mentioned in this thread previously, I just finished an article about the things that Dividend growth investors and "Gold Bugs" have in common.
    Please join the conversation.
    May 19 06:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 1 Investment Everyone Should Own [View article]
    I am going to thank you all for your comments and try to respond to everyone tomorrow.

Matt Cilderman
    May 18 09:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 1 Investment Everyone Should Own [View article]
    David,

My understanding is that there is no "mark up" on these coins. They are not valued in relationship to their numismatic value; bullion is valued based on the value if melted down. That amount would mirror the spot price.

Matt
    May 18 12:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel And Its Dividend Growth [View article]
    Love Intel and hoping for an additional div increase this year! Oh, and a nice dip in price so i can add more. Can you work that our for me, Tradevestor? LOL =)

Matt Cilderman
    May 13 09:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Charlie Munger: Civilized People Don't Buy Gold [View article]
    Tim,

Enjoyable read as always.

Well, you kind stole my thunder...kinda. I've actually been slowly writing an article that takes the other side of this and talks about the benefits of owning bullion.

Should be done in a week or two.

GLTA,
    Matt Cilderman
    May 6 08:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Finding An Entry Price Point: Sometimes Value Is More Important Than The Price [View article]
    DC,

I agree with your points, but I think some of the “hot money” has made its way into the stock because of windows 8 and I am gonna take a “wait and see” approach on this one.

GL,
    Matt Cilderman
    May 4 10:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The Employment Report Be The Tipping Point For Equities? [View article]
    Great article and congrats on the editor's pick!
    May 4 06:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DC,

Good article with some important points to remember. I also added to my coke position near those levels; i am glad it is paying off.

Looking to add to my position in INTC, and i like MSFT but feel like there is a big unknown with windows 8 on the horizon.

Matt Cilderman
    May 4 05:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Dividend Investors Choose To Fail [View article]
    Garden,

Appreciate your response and your civility.

1. Beating estimates has been shown to be a WS con game.
    2. I would argue that revenues need to be better for us to enjoy the inflation-beating div increases that makes us love PG so much.

Long PG as well.

Matt Cilderman
    Apr 30 08:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Dividend Investors Choose To Fail [View article]
    Cpa,

I understand that they expend enormous efforts to figure out what the consumer wants and to give it to them. It seems to me that all the consumer wants is lower prices and PG did the opposite in some cases.

"They also have no reluctance to get out of products that are most susceptible to generic competition."

I would argue that everything is susceptible.

Just trying to be realistic,
    Matt