Matt Cilderman

View Matt Cilderman's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Dividend Growth Portfolio Reality Check, Part 2 [View article]
    The article was a good resource with a good comments on companies who have not increased divs recently.

thanks for sharing
    Matt
    Mar 19, 2012. 08:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Portfolio Reality Check, Part 2 [View article]
    Serene,

I am glad that you appreciate it. Initially, I wasn’t sure if I should go ahead with writing it. There was a voice in my head that said, “What do investors care about literature?” But…I was reminded that we are certainly more complex individuals than just plain old investors. And one of the things I appreciate about our community is the diversity of voice and approach. I am just excited to be able to add mine to the mix.

Thanks for the comment,
    Matt

Ps…Is that Locutis of Borg?
    Mar 16, 2012. 05:34 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Your Options For Tax-Deferred Retirement Investing [View article]
    Yeah, looking forward to the teasing!
    Mar 15, 2012. 09:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Your Options For Tax-Deferred Retirement Investing [View article]
    Miz,

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, somehow we blot out the bad times and focus on the good. Can you imagine living any other way?

I hope that i will one day be able to say that my kids have turned into adults that i am proud of.

Matt
    Mar 15, 2012. 05:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Your Options For Tax-Deferred Retirement Investing [View article]
    Well, your son has got me beat by 2 inches and 40lbs. lol.

My wife and i will be having a son in about a month's time. I rejected "jr" because to me it implies a "less than" idea that i wanted to stay away from.

Matt
    Mar 15, 2012. 06:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Your Options For Tax-Deferred Retirement Investing [View article]
    David,

As complex as investing can be, i have always enjoyed your plain-spoken, "just sayin," doses of reality!

Keep up the good work.
    Matt
    Mar 14, 2012. 05:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Total Has It All [View article]
    Rdbach,

Agreed. I am worried about the election too.
    Mar 12, 2012. 12:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Myths About Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    RAS,

Good point. I think If we have a couple of sideways years and dgi keeps growing in popularity, some broker will eventually figure it out!

Matt
    Mar 11, 2012. 05:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Rational Case For Dividend Growth Investing (Part 2) [View article]
    Looking forward to it!
    Mar 8, 2012. 04:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What A Dividend Growth Investor Can Learn From Aesop's Fables [View article]
    David C,

Let’s not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

It has been a long time since I paid attention to Dr. Seuss, but his work does have redeeming qualities. Off the top of my head I can think of the Lorax, which deals with conservationism; the Butter Battle Book, which points out the stupidity of our disputes; and Horton Hears a Who, which deals with faith/science. Furthermore, I think the original Berenstain Bear books were created by him and they always taught good lessons.

Additionally some of his other books play with words and sounds in the grand tradition of Lewis Carroll’s The Jabberwocky, etc.

He should not be the only thing a child reads, but part of a well-diversified portfolio…er…reading list for kids; this includes fables,too.

Not lookin for a fight…just sayin
    Matt
    Feb 27, 2012. 09:01 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • T. Rowe Price Dividend Growth Fund Leaves Me Scratching My Head [View article]
    Tim,

A departure from what you normally write, but done well, nevertheless. Your timing is impeccable. In the comment stream of one of my recent articles, someone asked if I knew anything about the popular dividend growth mutual funds. I didn’t have a good answer at the time, but I just linked back to this article.

Thanks,
    Matt Cilderman
    Feb 22, 2012. 06:29 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A High-Dividend-Growth, Low-Payout-Ratio Portfolio [View article]
    Jeff,

Thanks for doing the research. I own shares or HRS,INTC, and BBL but am going to do some additional research on the others you mentioned.

Matt
    Feb 17, 2012. 03:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Indexing [View article]
    Rhianni32,

Thanks for reading and commenting.

I do not presume to speak for all DGI, but the great thing about our community here is that we acknowledge that there is no "one size fits all" approach. It depends on each investor, but some are involved in DGI solely for a growing revenue stream and others, like myself, also look for price appreciation/total return. I would recommend the articles by Chuck Carnevale for further reading on this

Also, even David Van Knapp, one of my favorite authors and a big proponent of a growing stream of revenue, acknowledges the need to sell at times. He has some great articles where he clearly outlines his investment thesis.

Does that make sense?

thanks,
    Matt
    Feb 16, 2012. 11:01 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Chose BHP Billiton Over Vale [View article]
    Alrightalready:

It is apparent that you did not carefully read the article or my response to Wimryan (below his).

In the article I did not say that Vale owned the ships. In my comment I agree that Vale did not own the ships.

Although, I really like what my source has to say on the subject:

“When it comes to Vale Beijing, at least, Vale has tried to distance itself from the whole mess. Of the 35 megaships, it is one of the 16 that was not actually owned by them, but instead on long-term lease from South Korea’s STX Pan Ocean.
    In Vale’s most recent statement, it’s clear who they would really like us to be pointing the finger at:
    “Vale announces that the vessel owned and operated by the Korean company STX Pan Ocean was removed from Pier I at Ponta da Madeira Maritime terminal and towed to an anchorage area, defined by the Brazilian Navy and other competent authorities. In this area, STX Pan Ocean will be able to safely continue to work and analyze the damages and necessary repairs of the vessel that was designed and built by STX Pan Ocean. Vale will keep following the actions to be taken by STX Pan Ocean.”

But there is no getting away from the fact that Vale’s name is still plastered in big letters across the sinking hull. Amid all the problems with the Chinese, this affair is likely to give Vale’s new chief executive, Murilo Ferreira, yet another excuse to sell the remaining megaships and steer the company in a new and perhaps more humble direction.”

Thanks for your contribution to the conversation,
    Matt
    Feb 6, 2012. 02:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Desire: 5 Dividend Payers That Look Cheap [View article]
    I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!
    Jan 24, 2012. 08:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment