Matt Cilderman

View Matt Cilderman's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 3D Printing Needs Apple And Apple Needs 3D Printing [View article]
    The more i look into this, it seems like a publicity stunt, but Apple is reportedly looking to get into 3D Printing

I think Quantum International is just trying to make the news

Anybody find anything else?

Matt
    Aug 23, 2013. 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Doubles Down On Ecosystem As Differentiator [View article]
    Good points, but the ecosystem isn't sexy enough for consumers. They get excited about hardware.

Let's hope Apple will have some new products soon enough.

Matt Cilderman
    Jun 17, 2013. 02:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Casey,
    Glad i could help!

Matt
    Jun 15, 2013. 07:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    thanks, Afterallthat!
    Jun 15, 2013. 07:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Camden.

You are right about revenue, but what about slowing growth, what about the future products?

Matt
    Jun 15, 2013. 07:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Paul,

Glad you enjoyed the read!

In regards to the article by Atlas Shrugged: He never suggests that they are doing anything illegal under GAAP; however, I have come to believe that the whole system of capital markets, the SEC, etc. is rigged…a sort of crony capitalism to aid large corporations and their lobbyists.

Yes, I understand that there is a fine line between certain types of financial engineering that is considered acceptable ( Companies like KO and PG buying back shares to increase EPS, etc.) vs what DDD is doing. Acquisitions are not bad, but I believe that DDD has become addicted to them because their organic growth rate is paltry. And as far as their accounting goes, I don’t want to invest in a company that has to play games with how they account for revenue, growth etc. Also, I would check out all of Atlas Shrugged’s articles for a more complete picture.

As I allude to in my article, I’d like to see if DDD can hold up during a rough period in the markets, where it can’t acquire so easily.

In regards to printing drugs: I defer to your expertise on the subject; however, Kurzweil threw his weight behind the report and they even gave the guy his own ted talk: http://bit.ly/XgSPCL

The talk doesn’t sound convincing to me, but I remember scoffing the first time I was told about 3D printing.

In regards to Apple: I am just not ready to give up on them. They are still massive and have a very loyal base. I don’t foresee huge growth for them in the near future, but I think they will be ok.

Philisophically, I wonder if consumers are ready for new technology yet. We zoomed through phones and tablets…the step to wearable tech may be too SciFi for people and a company like Apple may suffer because of it.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Jun 15, 2013. 07:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Consultnick,

Some great points. Who knows what will happen. It could be Staples and Kinkos, too.

Matt
    Jun 13, 2013. 07:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Scottonthespot,

Great points. You may want to take a look at my Science Fiction Investing articles where i talk about things like robotics, etc.

thanks,
    Matt Cilderman
    Jun 13, 2013. 01:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Samuel.Kirz,

I understand about timing, but I do think we are getting closer and closer. The tech is advancing and Apple needs a move like this to return them to hyper growth.

In regards to your question about why I am not invested in one of the companies. I think I laid out my reasons already (you really should read the articles by Atlas Shrugged). Specifically with DDD, while they haven’t done anything illegal by GAAP standards, I feel that any time a company obfuscates in relationship to earnings and balance sheet, etc…it raises red flags for me. I figured that pigs get slaughtered and I took my profit.

Remember, just cause I think the technology has a bright future doesn’t mean all the companies are good choices. I believe in the mobile’s future but don’t plan on buying BBRY. Get me?

Anyway, thanks for expressing your views in a reasonable way; DDD fanatics can get a little crazy.

Matt

ps...once the bubble bursts, i will reconsider the sector.
    Jun 13, 2013. 01:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Roger,

I agree. The future is bright for 3D printing. An who better to bring it into our homes than one of the most recognized and trusted brands in the world?...Apple!

Matt
    Jun 13, 2013. 12:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Precislongt,

I was ridiculed last year for this same idea; I do feel people have learned a lot more about it over the past year and may be open now!

We shall see, though.

Matt Cilderman
    Jun 13, 2013. 11:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3D Printing Needs Apple And Apple Needs 3D Printing [View article]
    HP was involved but decided to go a different direction. Besides they don't have the cool factor or the retail space to bring 3D printing to the mainstream!

Matt
    Jun 13, 2013. 11:08 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Croatkid,

I am not sure i follow you.

Matt Cilderman
    Jun 13, 2013. 10:58 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Your iPad, iPhone Are Owned By Google Now [View article]
    Ducaticorse,

Great Ali analogy. As has been mentioned previously, it is important to remember that Apple could shut Google out if they wanted to.

Matt
    May 18, 2013. 06:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Your iPad, iPhone Are Owned By Google Now [View article]
    ChrisCDC,

While i agree with you and your point about the search algo was great, i think he is referring to things like Glass or it's self-driving car.

these have been telegraphed for quite a while now.

I do think Apple has a different style, though.

Matt