Matthew Brown

View Matthew Brown's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Can Aspiring Retirees Be Nudged Into Living Off Dividends Alone? [View article]
    I'd be ok with private industry doing more, but judiciously and efficiently regulated to certain standards.
    Jun 25, 2015. 11:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Canadian Oil Sands: New Carbon Taxes Could Devalue The Company [View article]
    No, it is oilsands oil going through transmountain, sorry.
    Maybe you should do a little research before you make pronunciations?

Energy East will most likely be built as will the transmountain expansion.
    Jun 25, 2015. 11:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I am a small government type myself but advocating for something as absurd as no standards for bridge construction does no favours for the libertarian cause in my opinion.
    Jun 25, 2015. 08:58 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Canadian Oil Sands: New Carbon Taxes Could Devalue The Company [View article]
    Transmountain pipeline to Vancouver. They are working on expanding it. Has been in service for almost 50 years if I remember correctly.
    Jun 24, 2015. 11:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Choosing Which Stocks To Sell For A Big Purchase [View article]
    May be an obvious question, but why not get a new car with zero percent financing and not sell any stock?
    Jun 23, 2015. 05:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Canadian Oil Sands: New Carbon Taxes Could Devalue The Company [View article]
    Oil sands oil already crosses BC.
    Jun 23, 2015. 05:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Canadian Oil Sands: New Carbon Taxes Could Devalue The Company [View article]
    It will depend if they think their core support going forward will be union based, in which case it will be the refinery route, or the younger vote, which will be the GHG route or a higher proportion of concentration on the corresponding option.

A politically smart way to play it would be a GHG regime which gives credits for in-province upgrading.
    Jun 23, 2015. 05:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Canadian Oil Sands: New Carbon Taxes Could Devalue The Company [View article]
    Interesting take. If you are correct, Canadian Oil Sands will be at an advantage as it upgrades to synthetic light oil.
    Jun 23, 2015. 05:49 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Your assertion, your burden.
    Jun 19, 2015. 05:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Darren

You put all those names out there from 30 years ago inferring investing in them at the time would have been a bad choice because of Kodak and GM I guess - yet you never even bothered to look up the returns of them?

Why should we take what you say seriously if you can't even prove your own point?
    Jun 18, 2015. 07:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Well I'd bet that an investment in all of those companies you listed, with dividends reinvested and with spinoff acquisitions etc would still have performed remarkably well. Even with the kodaks and GMs.

My guess is the CAGR would be North of 11% and I bet it would be higher than SPYs returns over the same period.

You display that list like a pejorative to DGI but I don't think the results would match your hypothesis.

The nice thing about DGI is that it is relatively easy to identify the companies. That is, it's simple, but not easy. Sure, apple would have outperformed them, but can you tell me what apple's equivalent stock is today?
    I can tell you the DGI stocks.

Cheers
    Jun 16, 2015. 07:42 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Brookfield Infrastructure Looking At A World Of Possibilities [View article]
    sounds reasonable to me however I was told once before that the Brookfield group of companies operate as limited partnerships, different from master limited partnerships. This could be the source of some of the differences as well.
    Jun 6, 2015. 12:52 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Brookfield Infrastructure Looking At A World Of Possibilities [View article]
    The distributions I get are around 95% qualified dividends and the rest classified as interest or a return of capital if I remember correctly. Management has pledged to keep the interest and ROIC to be very small.
    Jun 6, 2015. 09:46 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Behold The Power Of Buybacks And Dividends [View article]
    You only need to compare the amount of buybacks in 2007 vs 2009 to confirm your thesis Hilo.
    Jun 3, 2015. 03:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ride This 15-Year Trend With Brookfield Infrastructure Partners [View article]
    Strange, my distributions show like 95% qualified dividends and 5% or less as income.
    Are you in the US or Canada? Could be an issue with your broker.
    Also, BIP et al are not MLP’s.
    Jun 3, 2015. 03:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment