Matthew Levy

View Matthew Levy's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Lazaridis Cuts BlackBerry Stake - Company To Transition Back To The Black? [View article]
    Well, the remarks were made before Chen took over:

Any bets made then are off, as Chen has completely changed the direction of the company (in my opinion).
    Dec 30 03:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Seller's Side: Why eBay Is A Strong Sell [View article]
    I agree with you that eBay's only real advantage is in PayPal, but as I have stated in the article, it is not even close to as profitable as the eBay marketplace, and is competing with Google Wallet who doesn't even charge merchants.
    Dec 17 09:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Seller's Side: Why eBay Is A Strong Sell [View article]
    I do, but I also think they have a better business than eBay, offering more to customers (like groceries, movies, books, all on top of a marketplace).
    Dec 17 07:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Yahoo's Execution And Improvement Is Only The Beginning [View article]
    Agreed - Yahoo! is making a slight comeback, retaining 11.4% of search engine up .1% y/y.

Sep 18 02:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia: A Growing Value Play [View article]
    I am a BlackBerry long at $9.20 and a NOK long at $3 - you don't have to listen to what I say: I am just trying to share my ideas.

You are right that it has been rebranded (a week ago today) but Nokia has turned to Microsoft for 1.5B Euros to pay for the transaction (as of yesterday) as I stated in my article - in my mind the deal is not complete until it is paid for in full.

Sep 10 05:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia: A Growing Value Play [View article]
    Nokia does not want BlackBerry's handset business - they want BES (for NSN), and their patents to add to "Advanced Technologies" - these segments are not loosing money hand over fist like the handset division. They get an entire business and patents for roughly $4B (BlackBerry is currently valued at $6B and they have another $3B in cash and the handset division). With the help of BlackBerry's patents they should be able to have a stronger position in court, and by adding BES to NSN they will have a very sturdy and growing position in the enterprise market.
    Sep 10 07:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia: A Growing Value Play [View article]
    BBRY BES and Patents could join right in to NSN and "Advanced Technologies" - instead of spending on R&D Nokia can pick up an already established BES and some of the most fundamental smartphone patents. I think a $4B offer would be accepted, as BlackBerry still has nearly $3B in cash and the handset division that it might be able to turn around. Buying BlackBerry would be about jumpstarting their new R&D and focusing on growing NSN (from BES) and more patents to use in trial.
    Sep 10 07:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream: A River Of Profits Ahead [View article]
    I agree that GMCR has a lower asset ratio currently, but in 1 - 2 years SodaStream should be able to win the title. GMCR is already competing in a very competitive space (the coffee business) and needs to maintain cash reserves for their core business. I would say a safe number is $100 - $150M to keep in their reserves, leaving them with around $225M for expansion. SODA has $35M, but can easily generate another $180M in the next two years (10% net margin on $1.8B sales) leaving them with roughly $205M to spend on their core business. Nearly half of GMCR's current assets are in inventory (for coffee), which would mean it would be even harder to expand the business.

I was incorrect in saying that SODA has more cash (or less liabilities), but SODA trades at a lower P/B (4.3x) than GMCR (5x), and is growing much faster (30% a year compared to 10%).
    Sep 4 12:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream: A River Of Profits Ahead [View article]
    The thing is, that's the potential upside. A tiny fraction of people know of or own a SodaStream (10 of every 1000 people to be generous). With SodaStream doubling A&P spending, they should be able to penetrate more market share. And, they are not overvalued from a fundamental position, trading at a forward P/E of 19, representing 20% downside (and they have no debt).
    Sep 2 10:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cliffs Natural Resources: In A Deep Hole [View article]
    In my article I said the price of iron-ore is $137 (not what it costs them to make) - the price is on a little upswing now, but with the negatives I listed in my article and market conditions we can expect the price to decline in the coming years. The point of this article was not to predict the future, but to show that Cliffs only has to generate $200 Million a year to pay off more than half of their liabilities and keep an equity that is more than 100% higher than the current market-cap.
    Aug 27 11:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cliffs Natural Resources: In A Deep Hole [View article]
    Please read my past articles:
    I recommended to buy BlackBerry before earnings (bad advice - 30% loss) but also before the buyout rumors (25% gain), buy MagicJack (20% gain), buy Outerwall at $55 (20% gain) stay on the sidelines of Tesla at $150 and then recommended to buy for the long term at $160, buy DDD at $48 (8% gain), and to buy Google at $867 (Flat). If you don't like my thoughts/advice, you don't have to listen. I only write the articles to share my ideas...
    Aug 26 04:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cliffs Natural Resources: In A Deep Hole [View article]
    Cliffs should last until AT LEAST 2020 no matter what - I think that they will come out stronger than ever.
    Aug 26 03:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Time To Google The Future [View article]
    It is a reflection on our society - people would rather spend money on (video) games and (wearable) technology than more important things. The thing is, Google knows what people want, and they will give it to them to make money.
    Aug 24 01:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: Recharging Its Evaluation [View article]
    I never said that they would make money from this in this article - the only way to make money is from other car companies, which is possible...
    Aug 23 05:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: Recharging Its Evaluation [View article]
    As I said before I was never short - but as more details have surfaced I have seen Tesla's true potential. It probably isn't the best time to buy, but it could be a great bull in the long run.
    Aug 23 05:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment