Matthew Levy

View Matthew Levy's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • It's Time To Google The Future [View article]
    I agree with your points - Google needs to upkeep their major segments. As I said in my article, they are creating/renting space through out Best Buy stores in order to promote their products (we do not have all the details yet). This is a good idea as Google not only receives their organic traffic, but also the traffic in the Best Buy stores. I am yet to be convinced by Google Glass, but 100,000's of people already wear smart technology, so Google isn't just joining an unproven market. They are already trading at a fair evaluation, but they have the potential to grow even more.
    Aug 23 10:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can BlackBerry's Patent Power Recharge Its Profitability?‎ [View article]
    What do you think BlackBerry can license the patents for/what do you think they can sell it for and will they?
    Aug 14 10:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoid A Sale - 100% Undervalued: BlackBerry's Potential Playbook [View article]
    I think that the Canadian government would prefer to keep BlackBerry in (owned by) Canada - in fact, they might even attribute some money to help keep them Canadian.
    Aug 13 02:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I am up on the stock too, but think it has more room to go. I think I will give them a week to come out with a deal (or at least publicly announce an offer) or I will reassess my position. I think that this could go down in the books as BlackBerry's final stand or BlackBerry's comeback.
    Aug 13 01:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Once more, BlackBerry handles security for governments around the world, so Canada will definitely keep an eye on them (I even heard that they may block a bid from Lenovo because it is a Chinese company).
    Aug 13 12:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    It is referencing the Q5 and the new BB7 phone (I think ASP around $300 - $400) - but they can earn even more if the ASP goes higher. The 200M users is an estimate, as it is a free service which attracted 100,000's of downloads in a few hours on the Google App Store before it was pulled without advertising. The actual number can be just 50M or 500M, it is just showing the potential profitability of BBM.
    Aug 13 10:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I though the same thing - as I said in the article they announced it in May 2012 and there has not been another press release since for their website. I think that BlackBerry has either shut it down as sales are definitely not that high now (maybe 1 million units a year) but the Zigbe site is still active.
    Aug 13 10:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    The patent portfolio could sell for $2B+ but BlackBerry has not been suing other companies for infringement. If they do they could generate $400M+ in licensing.
    Aug 13 10:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I agree a partnership or a sale of part of the company (the software segment could fetch billions, plus billions in cash and the hardware business, as well as patents). Offers might be coming in, but the only good thing that could come from them are a bidding war for the patents or part of the company.
    Aug 13 10:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • This Small Company Has The Magic To Conquer The World [View article]
    Jose Gordo has only been CEO for two quarters, and he has a specialty in creating shareholder equity through liquidation and sales. I am interested to see what he has in store - perhaps he sees more value using the money for acquisitions than for share buybacks.
    Aug 12 05:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Tesla's Drive Out Of Energy? [View article]
    Tesla is competing against large competitors like Toyota, Ford, and GM who have the money to buy Tesla 10 fold without blinking - they need to establish a first mover's advantage.
    Aug 9 01:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Tesla's Drive Out Of Energy? [View article]
    I completely agree - I would buy the stock if they unveiled a plan like this. If not, the potential is still there but they are giving time away to the competition.
    Aug 9 01:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry's Call To Greatness [View article]
    Current book value is around $18.25 a share - add in 35 cent per share profit this quarter and it comes to $18.60. I can see BlackBerry trading at 1.5x BV within 3 - 4 months, which is around $28 (or higher).
    Jun 25 10:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry's Call To Greatness [View article]
    We shall see if it picks up speed on Friday:)
    Jun 25 02:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • This Small Company Has The Magic To Conquer The World [View article]
    Calling and texting are "free" if you buy a data plan..... the magicjack app is useful and improvements are being made (and it works great for those I've talked to and myself).

I don't think that there NEEDS to be growth - if they can keep their net profit stable they're at a fair value now (and an exceptional value when I originally wrote this article when they were at $14).

Growth could come from the APP, but also perhaps international expansion and taking market share away from Vonage by expanding to business solutions. They are superior price wise by FAR, and are catching up on quality.

I can see International penetration, as well as the targeting of the product towards businesses. These, combined with their current business should justify some stock movement.
    Apr 18 03:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment