Matthew Lewis

View Matthew Lewis' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dex Media, Inc. - A Potential Multi-Bagger [View article]
    Interesting article. Not my style of investing though. Best of luck to all.
    Nov 22, 2013. 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • On Apple And Vertical Integration [View article]
    @marden23

The chart uses the information given in Micron's 10-K for the fiscal year end August 29, 2013. You can find the numbers I used under item 1A Risk Factors on page 12 of the below link.

Nov 20, 2013. 03:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • On Apple And Vertical Integration [View article]
    High praise. Appreciate the compliments.
    Nov 20, 2013. 11:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • On Apple And Vertical Integration [View article]
    NWCats. Thanks for the reply. I do believe ensuring significant supply should be part of the calculation of whether to vertically integrate. We all hear the rumors of supply issues for components like fingerprint readers or displays, but do we really know the full story? Apple certainly knows more than us outsiders. I really think we should give Cook some credit here based on his past management of the supply chain. If he believed the benefits of more consistent supply out of Sharp could justify the costs of the acquisition I believe he would do it.
    Nov 20, 2013. 10:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • On Apple And Vertical Integration [View article]
    Thanks Ashraf!
    Nov 20, 2013. 09:28 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Asset Bubbles Ready to Burst (Part 1) [View article]
    Farmland in general is a bubble based on the price increase in one state? My family owns farmland in South Dakota and Nebraska and comps in those areas are nowhere close to bubble levels.
    Nov 19, 2013. 12:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Samsung Is Apple's Worst Nightmare [View article]
    Thanks for the article.

You didn't convince me that Apple should vertically integrate. I would have loved to see more analysis of the pros (expanded margin, better supply control) and cons (less choice, cost of investment) of doing a large scale vertical integration like the one you have suggested.

Keep up the good writing. Love your articles.
    Nov 7, 2013. 01:10 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GrafTech International - Investors Applaud The Rationalization Plans [View article]
    Well said ArKeh.

Supply is coming off the market and the EU may be turning. Give the market some time to sort this out.

Tons of shorts got blown out of their position with that restructuring news.
    Nov 4, 2013. 04:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Graftech's Breakout Could Signal A Bottom In Steel Sector [View article]
    This article is all over the map.
    Nov 4, 2013. 04:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Deere Remains Deeply Undervalued: Above-Average Cash Flow Growth And Shareholder Remuneration [View article]
    Good article. I wrote about Deere's competitive advantages in an article about a year ago. They do all the right things and have a large moat with their brand name. I could see it getting cheaper, but valuation is attractive here. I just added to my position today.
    Sep 30, 2013. 03:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry to be acquired by Fairfax-led consortium for $9/share [View news story]
    The $150 million with no deal signed reeks of desperation.

Market price is $9 exactly. Looks like the market feels there will be no better offer.
    Sep 23, 2013. 02:02 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple sells 9M new iPhones in 3 days [View news story]
    These analysts are so bad. I realize their job is tough, but it seems like the groupthink and "throw crap at the wall and see what sticks" is just at another level.
    Sep 23, 2013. 08:49 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Graftech International Is A Deal [View article]
    Gloria,

Sarbanes Oxley requires a cover to cover review of every 10-K at least once every three years. It's not uncommon for the SEC to inquire about certain assumptions in the reporting. Do you have any issues with GTI's response to the inquiry?

Sep 10, 2013. 04:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Graftech International Is A Deal [View article]
    Gloria,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion...that's what makes a market. As I've said I've been working on a new article on GTI (work has been crazy lately so I haven't had time to finish it). It will show both sides of the story (weak steel demand and oversupply of GE vs. a potential secular bottom + engineered solutions strength). I look forward to your comments once it is published. Best of luck on your short.
    Aug 28, 2013. 12:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Graftech International Is A Deal [View article]
    Goldman Sachs is providing a one year time horizon for analysis. As I've stated before my time horizon is much longer than one year. I don't put in stop losses. If I believe in the fundamentals and the company I buy more as the stock goes lower. Once the fundamental story has changed and the stock becomes expensive I am more than willing to swallow my pride and close out for a loss.

I actually agreed with the Moody's analysis. However, you seem to hit on nothing but the selling points in their research. Why not show both sides of the story? Moody's notes GTI's rating is supported by its leading market positions within the graphite electrodes business, solid profit margins, geographic and operational diversity, partial back-integration, and a strong balance sheet. They also note that SGL will be raising prices and closing a plant this year which will take supply off the market and may stabilize prices.

The negative outlook is due to weak fundamentals for the next few quarters, a point I completely agree with. There is no reason to believe the next few quarters will be strong for GTI in the IM segment.

If GTI does a secondary I will certainly come back here and take my lumps. However, I see no reason for them to do so based on the cash flow numbers they are modeling for the second half of the year.
    Aug 27, 2013. 07:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment