Matthew Pixa

View Matthew Pixa's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 28 Big Reasons Apple Will Fall [View article]
    I'm not convinced that these "28 reasons" are why one should sell Apple...although some are quite valid (and obvious).

One main reason folks may want to take money off the table is by reading the over-the-top faithful and almost cultish conviction that some shareholders have. Just reading some of the comments here, albeit many are quite funny, it validates taking some profit in the stock. Anyone who hints at anything negative or suggests a realistic cap on AAPL gets whacked with insults or is given a dunce cap for being so silly and naive.

I'd rather be early than late. You also have to really differentiate passion for the company versus the analysis on its future growth prospects relative to other choices. Lots of folks will get stung.
    Apr 24 03:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retail Stock Ownership Rate At Its Lowest Level Since 1998 [View article]
    I would bet that a good amount of the money leaving mutual funds is going into ETF's. I can personally tell you that for all the accounts/portfolios I manage I only have about two or three mutual funds.

Mutual funds that typically can't match their benchmarks and yet peel off 1% or more in fees and operating expenses will have an increasingly hard time in the next decade. Money is flowing into better vehicles and investment solutions.
    Apr 20 08:01 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • March Madness: Final Four Investing Bracket 2012 [View article]
    Thanks for the additional input on Dean Foods. I actually added to the position today. Like you imply...this is a very decent value and over the next couple years I expect far better performance.

Just noticed in my fridge this morning some Horizon Organic, Land O' Lakes, and a bottle of International Delight creamer!
    Mar 29 04:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Liberals Should Invest Like Conservatives [View article]
    I'll have to check this LULU thing out :)

Thanks again Rocco
    Mar 29 10:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • March Madness: Final Four Investing Bracket 2012 [View article]
    Thanks for the comment Brian.
    MAKO will be a bumpy ride but one I'm going to buy more of on future dips.
    Mar 29 09:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Liberals Should Invest Like Conservatives [View article]
    Rocco,

Interesting article and I'm glad you brought up the topic. I was actually born in SF and then lived in the Bay Area for 20 years. Even though I was dunked in full on hippy kool aid, I somehow was wired to be more conservative.
    As a child, I too remember the protests everywhere. Reagan was "evil" and ridiculed wherever I went. For whatever reason though, a rational and sound argument appealed to me more than a large crowd of people shouting or waving signs in my face.
    After leaving the Bay Area for 15 years I actually tried moving back there after graduate school. I lasted less than a year. The only difference between your experience and mine is that being there made me even more conservative (seeing the same stuff but now as an educated adult).

As it all relates to investing I see another parallel. It's sometimes not fashionable to hold a certain view on either a stock or the market in general. Granted, there will always be a bull or a bear case on just about any investment, but what I look for is a rational, rather than trendy or spoon fed reason, to hold a position.

Just because there are tons of people buying XYZ ( or Apple most recently) doesn't mean that it's a must have stock. It also doesn't mean the majority of shareholders know much about actual the investment aside from the most obvious products/services, perceived demand, and that "it's going up". To be a successful investor one needs to know the whole story and not just buy something due to seeing a crowd or a slick commercial.
    Mar 29 09:26 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Analysts Turning Slightly Less Negative [View article]
    Exactly! Run for the hills!
    Mar 22 09:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • March Madness: Final Four Investing Bracket 2012 [View article]
    Thanks Portland! My heart and "other bracket" took a hit in your beautiful city with Long Beach State losing but such is life :)
    Mar 20 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • March Madness: Final Four Investing Bracket 2012 [View article]
    Thanks....Without question AAPL is a world class company and it's tempting for everyone to "take a bite of the apple" now at $600.

What I see now is a herd of 57 analysts covering the stock and only one has a "Sell" rating....it leaves me to wonder where they were when AAPL was at $31 in 2005?
    Mar 20 03:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • March Madness: Final Four Investing Bracket 2012 [View article]
    Thanks for the comments. That's the whole idea...Nobody knows how things will actually pan out but I think the time to sort out which investments you want/need has to be done in advance.
    I'm reminded of the advice that one should not go shopping on an empty stomach!

I agree with you on Dean Foods. It's a great company and as you say...their soy division speaks to how a company can and should adapt to consumer changes. All that said... we'll just have to see if they can shake off some of the accounting shackles...
    Mar 20 11:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • March Madness: Final Four Investing Bracket 2012 [View article]
    I appreciate the nice feedback. I try and do this type of article once a year for a two reasons: (1) like you say...it's different and actually fun (2) it provides or even cleans up the stock "shopping list"

Best regards,

-Matt
    Mar 20 11:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoid Volume Rally At Your Own Risk [View article]
    That's the best comment/summary of what this market is setting up for. When the volume does come...it won't be from sideline money rushing into the market.
    Mar 14 11:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Outlook: I Couldn't Be More Wrong About Being Right [View article]
    I appreciate the good words. I also completely agree with you in regards to the media!

Most investing news and media outlets act like giddy little charlatans and in my opinion do a disservice to people.
    Mar 9 10:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Outlook: I Couldn't Be More Wrong About Being Right [View article]
    Thanks for your comment and question. Obviously every investor has their own risk tolerance to check in with first...but I like your position.

I personally wouldn't add to a short position right now but the Russell 2000 showed some pretty serious signs that it's the first to breakdown. That's typically the one to fall first and then Large Caps follow.
    This is looking like such a "manic" market but eventually we'll break one way or the other...
    Mar 8 03:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Outlook: I Couldn't Be More Wrong About Being Right [View article]
    Yep...I think he said something along the lines of "I made a fortune of getting out too soon".

We'll see how this all plays out but as you mention, the environment has changed. The old "buy and forget" strategy is not going to work anymore.
    Mar 8 03:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment