Matthew Pixa

View Matthew Pixa's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Sell Ford, Even If You Are A Long-Term Investor [View article]
    Agree with your first three words of feedback...just not the "good stuff". Your article is good stuff though! (great actually)
    Rocco is spot on when it comes to looking at a company and their prospects versus the often blind love for the product or brand. Several of Rocco's recent articles key in on this premise (AAPL, SIRI etc).
    So many investors miss this. I too drove a Ford and beat it to a pulp for 10 years. While I sometimes subscribe to the "buy what you know and love", one has to distinguish that passion and love before buying the actual stock.
    Ford has done a lot recently with their product line and image but the stock and company leaves much to be desired when it comes to fundamentals. Don't be fooled with the low P/E but rather key in on Rocco's observation of much needed volume. That's the key driver here.
    While I agree that the title of the article could be different the thesis is right on. This is not a "screaming buy". Ford has returned zilch to most investors unless you had an iron stomach to pick up shares at $2 in 2008 or early 2009.
    For now...I think the stock could be fairly attractive under $10 but there are better options for the near-term that it's not on my front burner. If you're of the mind set that you would rather "push a Ford than drive a Chevy" , go ahead and buy one... but you don't necessarily have to own the common stock.
    May 10, 2012. 11:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • GTSI Corp.: A Final Chapter [View article]
    Great article and congratulations on your patience with GTSI. We too own it although at later times than you. (June and July of 2011)
    I had always hoped for some sort of deal like this because the stock certainly didn't impress me too much with its fundamentals.
    All that said, I do believe this deal is cemented and solid enough to materialize.
    May 9, 2012. 11:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 'Merde' Rally? [View article]
    Agree! That epic title could open the flood gates for so many more articles to come. Well written piece too.
    May 9, 2012. 10:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 28 Big Reasons Apple Will Fall [View article]
    I'm not convinced that these "28 reasons" are why one should sell Apple...although some are quite valid (and obvious).

One main reason folks may want to take money off the table is by reading the over-the-top faithful and almost cultish conviction that some shareholders have. Just reading some of the comments here, albeit many are quite funny, it validates taking some profit in the stock. Anyone who hints at anything negative or suggests a realistic cap on AAPL gets whacked with insults or is given a dunce cap for being so silly and naive.

I'd rather be early than late. You also have to really differentiate passion for the company versus the analysis on its future growth prospects relative to other choices. Lots of folks will get stung.
    Apr 24, 2012. 03:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retail Stock Ownership Rate At Its Lowest Level Since 1998 [View article]
    I would bet that a good amount of the money leaving mutual funds is going into ETF's. I can personally tell you that for all the accounts/portfolios I manage I only have about two or three mutual funds.

Mutual funds that typically can't match their benchmarks and yet peel off 1% or more in fees and operating expenses will have an increasingly hard time in the next decade. Money is flowing into better vehicles and investment solutions.
    Apr 20, 2012. 08:01 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • March Madness: Final Four Investing Bracket 2012 [View article]
    Thanks for the additional input on Dean Foods. I actually added to the position today. Like you imply...this is a very decent value and over the next couple years I expect far better performance.

Just noticed in my fridge this morning some Horizon Organic, Land O' Lakes, and a bottle of International Delight creamer!
    Mar 29, 2012. 04:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Liberals Should Invest Like Conservatives [View article]
    I'll have to check this LULU thing out :)

Thanks again Rocco
    Mar 29, 2012. 10:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • March Madness: Final Four Investing Bracket 2012 [View article]
    Thanks for the comment Brian.
    MAKO will be a bumpy ride but one I'm going to buy more of on future dips.
    Mar 29, 2012. 09:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Liberals Should Invest Like Conservatives [View article]
    Rocco,

Interesting article and I'm glad you brought up the topic. I was actually born in SF and then lived in the Bay Area for 20 years. Even though I was dunked in full on hippy kool aid, I somehow was wired to be more conservative.
    As a child, I too remember the protests everywhere. Reagan was "evil" and ridiculed wherever I went. For whatever reason though, a rational and sound argument appealed to me more than a large crowd of people shouting or waving signs in my face.
    After leaving the Bay Area for 15 years I actually tried moving back there after graduate school. I lasted less than a year. The only difference between your experience and mine is that being there made me even more conservative (seeing the same stuff but now as an educated adult).

As it all relates to investing I see another parallel. It's sometimes not fashionable to hold a certain view on either a stock or the market in general. Granted, there will always be a bull or a bear case on just about any investment, but what I look for is a rational, rather than trendy or spoon fed reason, to hold a position.

Just because there are tons of people buying XYZ ( or Apple most recently) doesn't mean that it's a must have stock. It also doesn't mean the majority of shareholders know much about actual the investment aside from the most obvious products/services, perceived demand, and that "it's going up". To be a successful investor one needs to know the whole story and not just buy something due to seeing a crowd or a slick commercial.
    Mar 29, 2012. 09:26 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Analysts Turning Slightly Less Negative [View article]
    Exactly! Run for the hills!
    Mar 22, 2012. 09:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • March Madness: Final Four Investing Bracket 2012 [View article]
    Thanks Portland! My heart and "other bracket" took a hit in your beautiful city with Long Beach State losing but such is life :)
    Mar 20, 2012. 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • March Madness: Final Four Investing Bracket 2012 [View article]
    Thanks....Without question AAPL is a world class company and it's tempting for everyone to "take a bite of the apple" now at $600.

What I see now is a herd of 57 analysts covering the stock and only one has a "Sell" rating....it leaves me to wonder where they were when AAPL was at $31 in 2005?
    Mar 20, 2012. 03:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • March Madness: Final Four Investing Bracket 2012 [View article]
    Thanks for the comments. That's the whole idea...Nobody knows how things will actually pan out but I think the time to sort out which investments you want/need has to be done in advance.
    I'm reminded of the advice that one should not go shopping on an empty stomach!

I agree with you on Dean Foods. It's a great company and as you say...their soy division speaks to how a company can and should adapt to consumer changes. All that said... we'll just have to see if they can shake off some of the accounting shackles...
    Mar 20, 2012. 11:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • March Madness: Final Four Investing Bracket 2012 [View article]
    I appreciate the nice feedback. I try and do this type of article once a year for a two reasons: (1) like you say...it's different and actually fun (2) it provides or even cleans up the stock "shopping list"

Best regards,

-Matt
    Mar 20, 2012. 11:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoid Volume Rally At Your Own Risk [View article]
    That's the best comment/summary of what this market is setting up for. When the volume does come...it won't be from sideline money rushing into the market.
    Mar 14, 2012. 11:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment