Matthew Rafat

View Matthew Rafat's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Ten Great Companies That Lost Their Edge [View article]
    @CDN_Rebel: I agree with you re: Yahoo's fantasy sports leagues. It is by far the single major reason I am still with Yahoo today.
    Aug 21 02:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ten Great Companies That Lost Their Edge [View article]
    @positivethoughts: It appears many institutional and other major investors did sell their Yahoo shares soon after the company rejected Microsoft's deal. Perhaps there is a silver lining to the sell-off. Yahoo may be able to make major changes without institutional investor interference.
    Aug 21 01:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz 'The One'? An Open Letter [View article]
    @its_me_again: Thank you for your comments. I've seen similar problems with the code on some of Yahoo's webpages.

And yes, I am serious about my willingness to assist Yahoo.
    Aug 21 01:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz 'The One'? An Open Letter [View article]
    ph@ntasm: Thank you for your comment! I've had a Yahoo email since they first offered free lifetime accounts. I have a soft spot in my heart for Yahoo, and I really hope they get back on track.

BTW, I disagree that Yahoo wasn't made for me--years ago, they managed to publish mostly quality articles, and I don't remember quite so many hateful comments until recently. I understand the 2008 election may have energized certain groups of people, but I still don't understand the reasons Yahoo doesn't adapt and institute some form of quality assurance. Even SeekingAlpha, with its small full time staff, does a fine job deleting hateful comments and spammers. Why doesn't Yahoo take a page from SeekingAlpha?
    Aug 20 03:13 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Is Soros Sticking With Yahoo and Not Aol? [View article]
    Perhaps Mr. Soros thinks CEO Bartz will lead the way? I agree that some of Yahoo's attempts to diversify its services have been abysmal failures, but such failures occurred because Yahoo was copying others (e.g., Facebook) and not promulgating anything new. More here:

willworkforjustice.blo...
    Aug 19 07:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ten Great Companies That Lost Their Edge [View article]
    Re: Yahoo, I think CEO Bartz, I think she needs to take the company to the next level. I agree that some of Yahoo's attempts to diversify its services have been abysmal failures, but such failures occurred because Yahoo was copying others (e.g., Facebook) and not promulgating anything new. More here:

willworkforjustice.blo...

I hope CEO Bartz doesn't shy away from new ideas and gives Yahoo back its mojo.
    Aug 19 07:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Intel Deal Makes Tech Even More Appealing [View article]
    I like your general thesis, i.e., that we will see more Oracle-style growth. BTW, Bluecoat (BCSI) shares appear to have declined substantially in after-hours trading today.

Do you have an opinion on Brocade (BRCD)? If so, please share.
    Aug 19 06:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 9 Oversold Stocks Reporting Earnings This Week [View article]
    Brocade isn't on this list?
    Aug 16 03:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Notes From Plantronics' 2010 Shareholder Meeting [View article]
    Update: pictures from the 2010 PLT meeting and mini-museum are at the link below:

willworkforjustice.blo...
    Jul 30 06:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Notes From California Water Service Group's 2010 Shareholder Meeting [View article]
    @George Fisher: thank you so much for your insightful comment. One reason I enjoy blogging is because readers like you take the time to post comments and educate me and the public about issues I've missed.
    Jun 3 05:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Notes from Core-Mark's Annual Shareholder Meeting [View article]
    @grazingbull: I do not plan on attending this year's meeting. Perhaps you could submit a letter to the Board of Directors with your concerns.
    May 19 08:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Notes From Google's Annual Shareholder Meeting: Long Live the King [View article]
    Dominic, thank you for your very insightful and intelligent post. I'd appreciate it if you could go directly to my blog and copy and paste your comment, b/c it supplements the article perfectly.

The problem is that companies don't have a middleman to deal with proxy companies. Most companies outsource functions that are essential to individual shareholders in order to avoid dealing with administrative issues; however, the individual shareholder is then left without an intermediary to help him/her navigate unfamiliar and ever-changing terrain. Companies are being penny-wise and pound-foolish by not hiring one or two people to be an active individual investor intermediary.

I do own a stake in Google, and entered the meeting using my proxy card. I have an insignificant number of shares in Google, and I am in mostly cash and bonds right now.
    May 17 06:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas: A Speculative but Worthwhile Investment [View article]
    GAZ is now trading at around 10.24 and natural gas prices are testing $4 lows. Time to average down or jump ship? I have a hard time believing that GAZ will be trading in the 10s come November 2010.
    Mar 18 01:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas: A Speculative but Worthwhile Investment [View article]
    Another viewpoint: MF Global’s Mike Fitzpatrick's says, "Technically, the charts are bearish." According to a recent article, he "expects $4 natural gas to be tested very soon." As of today, natural gas traded at around 4.680, so Mr. Fitzpatrick expects a 17% drop.
    Mar 1 04:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Notes from KLA-Tencor's Annual Shareholder Meeting [View article]
    @tagthatstock: you are setting up a straw man. No one said anything about hiring non-smart or non-optimal people. Are you saying that it's not possible to hire smart, optimal people who come from diverse backgrounds? You ought to read my Law of Diversity:

willworkforjustice.blo...