Matthew Rafat

View Matthew Rafat's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Notes on VMWare's Special Shareholder Meeting [View article]
    RTFM: explain what "virtualization" is. The CEO didn't do a thorough job, which is the reason my posting here is sparse on details. I have a generalized idea that "virtualization" can result in one machine consolidating functions and backup usually performed by multiple machines. From a storage perspective, this sounds intriguing, but I don't see how VMWare has a "wide moat" or how it can prevent its technology from becoming a commodity, like memory backup (i.e., review what happened to Iomega). I look forward to your detailed post with details on how VMWare can make money on "virtualization" and what prevents competitors from creating their own "virtualization" products to compete directly with VMWare.
    Sep 10 09:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Notes on VMWare's Special Shareholder Meeting [View article]
    You are correct about Maritz, not Peek, being the CEO. The nametags were small, and I didn't get a good view of the speaker's handwritten name. As for who the main beneficiaries were of the company's stock option reset, my understanding is that the benefits were spread to everyone, not just management. The 10-Q has more information. In the future, when a company has a stock option reset, I will ask about the primary beneficiaries.

What's interesting about Intel owning so many VMware shares is its access to VMware's source code. Intel has recently stated it wants to compete in the same area as VMware.
    Sep 10 01:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • At Its 52-Week Low, Is Garmin a Buy? [View article]
    I sold my GRMN today, on August 5, 2008. I took a slight loss. I had originally intended to average down, but saw better opportunities in WFR and TTWO.
    Aug 5 02:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Case for Jamba Juice [View article]
    Alpha 26 makes a great point. If you notice, some of the new drinks, like the Granola Topper and Bright Eyed & Blueberry, are designed to be smaller portions and cost less. I think Jamba should seriously consider Alpha 26's suggestion, but personally, my main issue is the efficiency. At some point, people will not countenance waiting more than 6 minutes for a drink at any size or any price.
    Aug 4 07:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple vs. Bank of America: When "Whisper Numbers" Come Home to Roost [View article]
    Not sure what Jon T's issue is. The China comment was based on the last shareholder meeting. Steve Jobs acknowledged that the iPhone wasn't receiving all possible revenue on even current subscribers because of quasi-IP issues. In addition, the middle class in China is increasing, and they will want status symbols, which include an iPhone and other Apple products.
    Jul 23 03:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Colonial Bancgroup: Sell or Hold? [View article]
    User 227819, I am not a licensed securities broker (no series 7, 63, or 66) and have no formal training in accounting or finance, so I do not recommend anyone follow my picks or rely on my writing. I am glad, however, that you seem to have made a very well-timed purchase. I liquidated my position in CNB today (July 17, 2008). I thank you for reading about my economic journey, and I wish you the best in the future!
    Jul 17 06:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Well-Capitalized Regional Banks: The Bottom Is In [View article]
    First, thank you to "ndallasj" for his careful correction. He is absolutely correct. I will change that line in my own blog. It is refreshing to see someone taking the time to make an objective correction.

I also want to point out I published the article yesterday, and today, FHN and CNB are up around 20%. So I suppose I was correct in calling at least a short-term bottom.
    Jul 15 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Upshot from Circuit City's Annual Report [View article]
    Hazeleye, I just want to revisit your April 5 (Saturday) post, where you said that CC would go up "within 2 weeks":

April 4: CC = 4.78/sh (day before hazeleye's post)

April 11: CC = 3.90/sh (18% drop; around a 20% drop)

April 28: CC = 4.53/sh (5% drop)

June 13: CC = 4.35/sh (9% drop)
    Jun 13 10:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dollar and the Currency Carry Trade [View article]
    SA: thank you for your useful comment. I hold DBV in a Roth IRA, so I did not consider its tax implications.
    Jun 13 06:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Upshot from Circuit City's Annual Report [View article]
    Hazeleye, in a comment you posted re: CC on April 5, you said:

"But something, something, appears to be on the horizon within 2 weeks from today that should move the stock upwards..."

Two weeks later, CC's stock went around 20%. That alone damages your credibility, as well as the several spelling mistakes you've made in your comments.

In addition, it seems you are banking on Mr. Icahn coming through and boosting the value of the company. Take a look at Yahoo's stock post-Icahn. It has come down. Icahn's reputation has suffered quite a bit in recent years. He is losing his mantle as the real-life Gordon Gekko. Given that I have so few shares, I will hold onto my CC shares and enjoy the wild ride.
    Jun 13 06:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment