Matthew Smith

View Matthew Smith's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Today's Market: Mergers And Acquisitions Rules The Day, Currency Headwinds Continue [View article]
    So another year and seven months of 0.25%?!?!?!
    May 12, 2015. 11:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Regulators Block Another Deal, Analysts Make Fresh Calls [View article]
    We shall see. I agree that broadband is more important, or strategic, than tobacco but some of these moves lately have to make you wonder.
    Apr 28, 2015. 09:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Not a trader here, but do you manage risk?! 15% of your portfolio is one stock?! And you want the stock to go down ~30%?!?! It would take years to get that back.
    Apr 28, 2015. 09:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Tech And Biotech Stocks In The News [View article]
    Maybe YHOO is, but honestly I fail to see any positive changes to the Yahoo sites I use (finance and sports) and that the changes which were implemented made the product worse (on the desktop). Quite frankly, the Yahoo apps I use are awful! I know numerous people who have discarded Yahoo's mail offerings after trying to use the app and the finance app is a joke...one of the worst big name apps I have used (the news is stale and not anywhere close to real time!).
    Apr 23, 2015. 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Oil Consolidation On The Way, Poultry Producers Brace For Outbreak [View article]
    I've long said that the stronger names will go first and could even be the consolidators in some cases (think EOG), but I think CLR will come out of this just fine. And if not, maybe EOG will buy the assets on the cheap.
    Apr 22, 2015. 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Oil Prices Rise, Oil Stocks Rise, But Correction Continues [View article]
    Bottoms in the stocks, but maybe not the price for their product. Plus, one could make the argument that the stocks are overbought if underlying prices remain weak.

My point was about the business: "and while some of them either called or attempted to call bottoms for those names' business it appears that further pricing pressure should be expected from investors."
    Apr 20, 2015. 01:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Investors Rewarding Oil Companies With Strong Balance Sheets [View article]
    Same concept. Socially responsible, socially correct...nice ways of trying to frame arguments to make them look more acceptable....certainly not a social norm! :)

It is not my viewpoint that those moves are correct, but just reporting the news and events that could impact investments further down the road.
    Apr 20, 2015. 10:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Death Of Cable TV, Industrials Lower Guidance, And China Tries To Rein In Its Bull Market [View article]
    Interesting to see if the new plan is a locked in price or whether it is a special promo price. Also it appears as though it might be dead upon arrival b/c a number of companies are saying that VZ does not have permission to unbundle their packages!
    Apr 20, 2015. 10:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Based on my experience with the wireless division, I think it is safe to say alienation will soon set in!
    Apr 17, 2015. 01:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Saudi Arabia's Latest Oil Move, Oil Acquisitions And Tobacco News [View article]
    My only question is whether there are other buyers out there willing to pay this type of price for acreage. That is the key question, really.
    Apr 17, 2015. 01:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Oil Stocks Rally Again With Oil, Railroads Retreat On Grim Outlooks [View article]
    It is a big percentage, you are right, but you are looking at the expense side and not their revenue side. Falling oil prices have driven demand lower and forced the industry to lower volume guidance because producers have lowered future production plans - meaning less oil to haul. So while lower prices mean lower fuel costs, the railroads are also charging smaller fuel surcharges and losing out on volumes....and coal continues to be a drag. They are now facing an uphill battle it seems.
    Apr 16, 2015. 12:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: The EU Is Wrong To Go After America's 'Big Tech' Companies [View article]
    Yes, it irks me that our companies come under antitrust scrutiny and also get chased off from buying assets in Europe, especially "strategically important" areas which now includes everything. Great story of a video service start-up that YHOO tried to buy and was chased off by France...that turned out well for everyone involved except the start-up of course.
    Apr 16, 2015. 10:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sorry you feel that way. But I think that you should probably read the article again. I did and your quote is not even in the article. The quote was, "While we ourselves are Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) iPhone users..."

So like I said, I did speak for myself, and I've told you what I use. Why you cannot trust that, or understand it I do not know, and my personal use does apply to that quote. I'm guessing you are just an Apple bear or have some other ax to grind, but either way best of luck to you barantos!
    Apr 16, 2015. 08:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Well here is a question, what if Google simply optimizes their content to be picked up by the search engine like everyone else does, except their SEO is better because they actually know what the algorithm looks like? I'm not sure that the search results would be fixed in that case, and also do not see how that differs from software companies who have suites of products that work better simply because they are developed together in house. In my opinion the EU likes to venture into extremely gray areas of the law. I'd argue that this is an extension of search, and not a monopolistic move into a new industry. But we shall all see how this plays out in the months to come.
    Apr 16, 2015. 08:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I was...

However to qualify that statement it applies only to smartphones and tablets. Otherwise research is done on best bang for the buck and tech.
    Apr 15, 2015. 01:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment