Matthew Smith

View Matthew Smith's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Today's Market: 2 Merger And Acquisition Deals, Earnings And Other News [View article]
    If you sold you miss out on the dividend. It is paid upon closing and KRFT shareholders still have to vote on the deal. So yesterday's sellers simply locked in gains.
    Mar 26, 2015. 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Dividend Cuts, Mergers And Acquisitions, And Secondaries Moving These Stocks [View article]
    Yes, I was very surprised.
    Mar 25, 2015. 12:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: 5 Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Never said they did...just reporting what was news.
    Mar 25, 2015. 10:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Asset Sales, Lower Rig Counts And Saudi Arabia's Comments [View article]
    The one thing that I really fear is an attack on Saudi oil infrastructure. I'm actually surprised that ISIS has not already attempted it to be honest...although maybe they have but we just don't know about it.
    Mar 24, 2015. 10:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Correct. As vireoman pointed out first up should be Iran, and down the road we could see more - although that depends on politics and civil wars.
    Mar 24, 2015. 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Healthcare Mergers And Acquisitions And Drug Concerns, PR Stunt Goes Bad [View article]
    Bigsmitty, you are correct. Guess my word processor made an edit I did not catch. Apologize for that.
    Mar 24, 2015. 10:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Gold Names Rallying, Further Cuts For Oil Companies [View article]
    I hear ya Peter. I have a small stash of precious metals (some gold, but mostly silver) stored away in case of troubling times.
    Mar 20, 2015. 09:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Big Tech News, Disappointing Banking News [View article]
    Thanks for the kind words and hope that you continue to enjoy the articles. I would point out that I am a strong bear when the markets dictate it, as the rare earths and coal markets have in the last few years. I do not run blindly with anyone.

Thus far the ECB news has been good for markets, especially the Germans. I think if you adjust for currency it is up 8% now...play money for sure, but it shows hope/optimism - and that is what markets are built around.
    Mar 20, 2015. 09:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Another Oil Company Files For Bankruptcy, More Companies To Follow [View article]
    Yep, the companies that are still weak from previous missteps are always the first to fall...I really think that EOG and some others are going to find some attractive buys in the months and years ahead. Even with oil at $50/barrel there are a number of companies that are operating on razor thin margins...although the one saving grace they might have is that oil field services will be a heck of a lot cheaper!!!
    Mar 20, 2015. 09:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Earnings, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly [View article]
    I've enjoyed watching and reading Nelson Peltz's materials on DuPont. I am not really a fan of his, but he does point out the doublespeak and how management teams use various sets of numbers (which are supposed to be for the same metric) in order to get what is best for them. The EPS argument is classic!
    Mar 20, 2015. 09:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: What's Behind The Recent Rally [View article]
    Easy money has caused the rally which has further been pushed higher by companies lowering share counts. Inflation has been rather nonexistent when you consider just how much liquidity was pumped into the economy during all of the quantitative easing programs.
    Mar 20, 2015. 09:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coal: Almost At The Bottom [View article]
    I've been one of the biggest, if not the biggest, bear on coal - but the bottom will not be 0.
    Mar 20, 2015. 09:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Disappointing Earnings And MLP M&A On The Increase [View article]
    Hey UTA- were these comments directed my way?
    Mar 20, 2015. 09:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Earnings And Acquisitions Pushing These Names Higher [View article]
    thanks for the kind words jack!
    Mar 20, 2015. 09:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Warren Buffett Sells Energy Stocks, Rare Earth Stock Rises [View article]
    Well Warren Buffett is one of the biggest beneficiaries of lower energy prices. People can buy more products that BRK or companies it owns significant stakes in make. Plus lower fuel costs help the railroad, even if shipping volume growth slows. He bets on the US economy and lower oil prices would be good for the overall economy. So he might not be buying just yet jerrydd.
    Mar 20, 2015. 09:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment