Matthew Smith

View Matthew Smith's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    The chart has been pretty choppy and assuming you took general commentary rather than our buy and sell calls under consideration (which is what seems to have happened here) then it is around a 10% price difference. Fact of the matter is that we have been right on coal for a while, being bearish when it was necessary and opportunists when prudent.

I've not flashed a buy signal yet for the industry and won't now but the fact of the matter is that it certainly seems that the worst is behind us (both from an operating standpoint and stock market standpoint as well) in the coal sector and we are building a base.

Not trying to cop out of anything, however the things you indicate were said most certainly were not. Just that the worst must be over, which if our view of the economy moving forward holds (and it has been right for the past year) then no one will care about these one day moves.

But hey, by all means continue posting that comment here and if you say it enough surely it must be true!
    Feb 21, 2013. 07:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market News To Trade On: 5 Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Long-term its CVS and WAG for sure...as in the past it all depends upon the numbers from RAD, can they build upon what they have surprised the market with so far?
    Feb 20, 2013. 06:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market News To Trade On: 5 Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Sounds like it worked out well for you!
    Feb 20, 2013. 06:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Hardly. In many cases solar, wind, etc are not even economical vs the fossils. And do we even have enough land mass to build enough solar farms to power the world?
    Feb 20, 2013. 06:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Many of the MLPs I follow and the ones in my portfolios have indeed fallen. Pipelines seem to be holding up better than the oil & nat gas producers, and that is where my comments were mostly directed towards.
    Feb 20, 2013. 06:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • OCZ: It Burned Me - Don't Let It Burn You [View article]
    Ashraf, how would you have liked to have been correct part of the way only to flip to the long side just before the move from 3 or 4 down to today's close! Sometimes the smart guys in the trade even make mistakes! Live and learn.
    Feb 14, 2013. 08:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Depends on your intentions! Long-term it appears a buy, if you were looking at it as a breakout candidate that gain may already be gone. Short-term there are better names out there with near-term catalysts to move the valuation. Does that sufficiently answer your question?
    Feb 14, 2013. 06:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    I believe that is up to their individual firms, but they cannot front run clients and do illegal activities. It all has to be disclosed is my understanding, but I'm no SEC expert (unless we are talking SEC football!) and don't keep up to date on it all. I'm not sure that the analyst does own it, so not sure about the comment you referenced to.
    Feb 12, 2013. 04:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market News To Trade On: 5 Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    If that is the case I apologize however the source is Bloomberg. Generally anything that comes through the Bloomberg I trust, and I did a quick look and also saw some other trusted news outlets carrying it as well...I will look at the SEC filings later today.
    Feb 12, 2013. 10:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Hey but the upside is that they priced the secondary at $38 right at the support and we are bouncing back. Like I said I think many just don't understand...
    Feb 12, 2013. 10:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    More of an update on the company w/ e downgrade and just more info for readers on e coal sector which we have been pretty spot on for e last year or so. Just trying to show that even the diversifieds are having issues in this market. Sorry if it didn't add much for you but working on adding in to our normal coverage on coals and the 'China Trade' stocks.
    Feb 11, 2013. 11:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    "Knife stops falling"? I would say that is a bit of an exaggeration there b/c the comment came after the fall and the recovery, so just confused on that. Anyways, taking profits is never a bad thing and glad you made money! See the comment I left below for possible entry points if we get a pullback - if that interests you. Have a good weekend!
    Feb 8, 2013. 07:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Right now $40/share looks like support and if that breaks then it is around $38/share. We get the low $30s entry point you discussed if that $38/share level is broken from the looks of it....so it will be a "step program" so to speak. Might be able to buy each step down just in case 'The Big One' does not come. Just some thoughts.
    Feb 8, 2013. 07:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    With MCP lately it's been nothing but buy high sell low...or more appropriately, buy low and sell lower!
    Feb 8, 2013. 06:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    I'm sure there is one thing to take away from the article, even if it is not to read my articles anymore. I hope that's not the case, but if it is I'm sorry.
    Feb 8, 2013. 06:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment