Matthew Smith

View Matthew Smith's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Many of the MLPs I follow and the ones in my portfolios have indeed fallen. Pipelines seem to be holding up better than the oil & nat gas producers, and that is where my comments were mostly directed towards.
    Feb 20, 2013. 06:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • OCZ: It Burned Me - Don't Let It Burn You [View article]
    Ashraf, how would you have liked to have been correct part of the way only to flip to the long side just before the move from 3 or 4 down to today's close! Sometimes the smart guys in the trade even make mistakes! Live and learn.
    Feb 14, 2013. 08:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Depends on your intentions! Long-term it appears a buy, if you were looking at it as a breakout candidate that gain may already be gone. Short-term there are better names out there with near-term catalysts to move the valuation. Does that sufficiently answer your question?
    Feb 14, 2013. 06:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    I believe that is up to their individual firms, but they cannot front run clients and do illegal activities. It all has to be disclosed is my understanding, but I'm no SEC expert (unless we are talking SEC football!) and don't keep up to date on it all. I'm not sure that the analyst does own it, so not sure about the comment you referenced to.
    Feb 12, 2013. 04:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market News To Trade On: 5 Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    If that is the case I apologize however the source is Bloomberg. Generally anything that comes through the Bloomberg I trust, and I did a quick look and also saw some other trusted news outlets carrying it as well...I will look at the SEC filings later today.
    Feb 12, 2013. 10:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Hey but the upside is that they priced the secondary at $38 right at the support and we are bouncing back. Like I said I think many just don't understand...
    Feb 12, 2013. 10:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    More of an update on the company w/ e downgrade and just more info for readers on e coal sector which we have been pretty spot on for e last year or so. Just trying to show that even the diversifieds are having issues in this market. Sorry if it didn't add much for you but working on adding in to our normal coverage on coals and the 'China Trade' stocks.
    Feb 11, 2013. 11:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    "Knife stops falling"? I would say that is a bit of an exaggeration there b/c the comment came after the fall and the recovery, so just confused on that. Anyways, taking profits is never a bad thing and glad you made money! See the comment I left below for possible entry points if we get a pullback - if that interests you. Have a good weekend!
    Feb 8, 2013. 07:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Right now $40/share looks like support and if that breaks then it is around $38/share. We get the low $30s entry point you discussed if that $38/share level is broken from the looks of it....so it will be a "step program" so to speak. Might be able to buy each step down just in case 'The Big One' does not come. Just some thoughts.
    Feb 8, 2013. 07:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    With MCP lately it's been nothing but buy high sell low...or more appropriately, buy low and sell lower!
    Feb 8, 2013. 06:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    I'm sure there is one thing to take away from the article, even if it is not to read my articles anymore. I hope that's not the case, but if it is I'm sorry.
    Feb 8, 2013. 06:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Covered in tomorrow's article...that's kind of tomorrow's news today! Right? :)
    Feb 6, 2013. 11:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Full Disclosure: I sold PDCE before the close today due to the run-up on the analyst upgrade which was unexpected. Looking for a pullback after the big run-up these two days, but that is a trade short-term and still bullish long-term - although it does appear that the shares may have run their course for now.

Tried to post this via the iPhone right after I did the trade, but no such luck. I did however post it for followers of mine on Twitter (@theinvestar) to try to get the word out.
    Feb 6, 2013. 06:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Yea, but CHK had the board infiltrated by outsiders...at SD the "enemy" is at the gates...
    Feb 6, 2013. 08:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    The bull case is that there is value here, which it has been the whole time we have stated we thought readers should initiate a position. The situation is that either management creates the value themselves or some other company will come around and create the value for them.

Priced above the price of the reserves. Alright, first did you subtract the net cash position out of the market cap? How about the shares that the company retired via their tender? What reserve numbers are you using and what is your price for the value of them? My back of the envelope math says that does not work just on the reserve numbers I had and using the current price of gold minus their cash costs. Keep in mind they are going to be upgrading resource estimates and everything will be moving 'up the ladder' so to speak. So if that is your metric in the near future you might need another one to back up the thesis.

This and Yamana Gold are the favorites among the bigger names right now, and you are not saying to be bearish just that there are better plays out there. Ok. But full disclosure for everyone you did just write a bearish article on AUQ last week.
    Feb 4, 2013. 08:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment