Matthew Smith

View Matthew Smith's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Today's Market News To Trade On: 5 Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    You have 5 years left on that "call"...and I was not short, simply said your numbers were from some alternate reality. If you don't like to talk about your "calls" until they play out in 5 years might not want to toot your horn after only a few months when a short squeeze forces a stock way up. Nice try though.
    Jan 29, 2013. 05:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market News To Trade On: 5 Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    And I still am. Its a short-term short squeeze. If you still think a few cents on the quarterly EPS figure is going to move the stock 70%, that's crazy. They will not be able to keep that momentum up and long-term neither will Amazon. Revenues and revenue growth go along with the dot com bust of the early 2000s and late 1990s...it is about margins and earnings these days.
    Jan 28, 2013. 07:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Yes, but right now many are looking for iron ore prices to correct and CLF is a high cost producer. Nucor and Cliffs are in two different industries.
    Jan 28, 2013. 05:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market News To Trade On: 5 Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    We are in fact headed toward that developed nation status where growth slows, but keep in mind that our birth rate has kept above the death rate and the ratio has not yet gone negative. That is the key, once you go negative is when the serious problems begin, especially once inflation is factored in.
    Jan 25, 2013. 12:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    HK is probably the closest. OAS in Bakken and ROSE in Eagle Ford (one could argue western Williston Basin too, but that has turned out to be a big disappointment for everyone there). UNT is more of a conglomeration of oil and natural gas with midstream and service ops so definitely not a comp. Hope that helps!
    Jan 24, 2013. 08:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Haha! I think all of MHR's shareholders share that thought.
    Jan 23, 2013. 08:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    I'd wait for it to price...maybe I missed it as I was not at a desk all day, but definitely wait until offering price is known.
    Jan 23, 2013. 08:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Claimed seems to imply that they are not being truthful. I am saying that the IP rates are not uniform and therefore it can be argued that they are not necessarily comparable. If they were all 24-hr or 12-hr or whatever then I'd say yes compare away - if that makes sense. Yes you multiply it out to give you comparable figures, however it is not the same (in my book at least). Regarding the length of the wells resting it seems to indicate that they are trying to cut down on the resting periods and find exactly where that sweet spot exists. Initial wells by most players have erred on the lengthier side mimicking the Eagle Ford and then were even left longer after that. It is a big science project early on, but nearly everyone seems to agree GPOR is in the Utica NGL sweet spot.
    Jan 23, 2013. 08:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Wasn't trying to sound like a know it all, just wanted you to be able to appreciate your locked in gains and keep it all in perspective!
    Jan 23, 2013. 04:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    I think you can do better than DVN!
    Jan 23, 2013. 04:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    And yes adding here is tough...had to exercise my options as the premiums to rollover (and we are talking about deep-in-the-money calls here) were a bit preposterous. But on a pullback, I might have to pull the trigger. Ride your winners and prune the losers.
    Jan 23, 2013. 12:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Good stuff TFCAB, but remember your gains are actually capped at $48.25 due to the premium! Regarding your question directly angelodebo I honestly cannot say as I do not know your specific situation. However, I have stated from the start that this was a $50/share stock which was masquerading as a bargain bin item. $50 was my initial price target but honestly the whole situation has played out a bit better than I anticipated and barring any Midstream constraints during their drilling ramp up I will probably be forced to reevaluate that estimate. I think I may cover this situation in tomorrow's article about resource stocks and trajectories. Sound good?
    Jan 23, 2013. 12:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Nope not on the list for this morning, it is a 52-week high but nothing special. Would like to see that break through the $60/share level and move higher, that is something to watch.
    Jan 23, 2013. 03:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    I think you should be careful....insinuating that they are lying about their results is walking in a gray area. Yes those are IP rates for various hours, but also look at how long the wells have sat, which is key as well. Of course the wells are not going to continually produce at those rates for an extended period of time - everyone knows that. But I guess by your logic the Bakken and Eagle Ford have been awful investments for those drilling there two huh?
    Jan 23, 2013. 03:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Commodity Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    I hope that was all so you could plug your own article because the comments were in regards to the Utica results which are cranking up and the fact that the coal numbers were not nearly as bad as they could have been. The Utica was the story, the coal doom and gloom is already baked into the stock.
    Jan 23, 2013. 03:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment