Matthew Smith

View Matthew Smith's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Today's Market: Is The Fed About To Torpedo The M&A Market? [View article]
    No I am in favor of tougher regulations for the banks, especially the TBTF institutions, however I think they should be more general and not targeted to certain lending areas when growth is shown in those segments.

Just because economic growth demands more loans does not mean that standards have been lowered. Imagine if this is the story that we have to deal with each time a new growth area emerges for the banks. That is an environment that would be quite frustrating to try to operate a business in.
    May 15, 2014. 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Is Alibaba An Amazon Killer? [View article]
    ...yet we already know Amazon will not be growing at 20%/yr in future years with current business. Unless they have something else in the works, it looks like 10-20% growth and slowing going forward.
    May 12, 2014. 11:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Selling A Big Winner And Buying 2 Other Names [View article]
    They have the ORRI and they also own the acreage right now. The plan is to sell the acreage and keep the ORRI, which will be a high margin, low risk cash flow moving forward. Last I checked they were the biggest and most active player in the oil window.
    May 8, 2014. 10:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Energy Names Making Big Moves [View article]
    See previous article...
    May 7, 2014. 11:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Why Investors May Be Getting Twitter Wrong, Apple Proving A Keeper [View article]
    When the numbers came out recently showing near zero growth I did say that my figures may have been a bit too optimistic as it seems that much of the activity lost in January and February was not going to be replaced as it was discretionary in nature. That being said, I think it says more about the weather than the economy at this point although still waiting to see the long-term effects of those losing LT unemployment benefits.
    May 7, 2014. 11:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Buys And Sells Heading Into The Weekend [View article]
    There will be very few winners in the iron ore sector moving forward, in my opinion, but with the Big 3 gaining market share initially it will not hurt them. As China shifts towards an economy based more on the consumer and less on building the country, I think the extra supply will catch up and cause oversupply. Personally I like BHP best, due to the diversification, but understand where you are coming from in regards to VALE.
    May 6, 2014. 10:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Potential Roadblocks For Pfizer [View article]
    Not my favorite drug company, that is for sure, as they seem more interested in financial engineering than engineering the next big drug.
    May 6, 2014. 10:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Amazon Delivering Hit After Hit [View article]
    I never said this was a value play or a great buy on valuation, just the possibility of momentum returning with new hit products. The focus was on products. The stock is extremely expensive on numerous metrics, but then again so are some of their competitors. Not a stock I currently own.
    Apr 24, 2014. 10:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Playing The Biotech Bloodbath [View article]
    sierranvin,

It was Merck. See Wall Street Journal article here:

Apr 16, 2014. 11:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Profiting From Volatility In These Names [View article]
    Sometimes you just have to scratch your head over people's reactions, but one thing that I have learned over the past two years for coal is that those who have invested in the sector are really passionate about their holdings. They know the business and the facts, but I think at the end of the day they got the analysis and thesis wrong as most expected it to be a short-term downturn. That had happened in the past, but this time there were a lot of new issues (such as pollution controls and government intervention). I do think it is a good case study for future situations though.
    Apr 11, 2014. 11:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Geopolitical Risks, LNG And Aluminum Bright Spots In Market [View article]
    Believe the coffee news (depending on the move you are referring to) had to do with lack of rain in India. Discussed that in a recent article.

Thanks for reading!
    Apr 8, 2014. 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Spin-Offs, Iron Ore And Equipment Makers That Are Buys [View article]
    Both statements are true right now, as China just recently announced their intentions of this plan. Yes they will shut down inefficient mines, but they also plan on opening new ones and expanding efficient mines already in production. Will they meet their end goal? Probably not. Will they increase their production significantly? I would guess so.
    Apr 3, 2014. 11:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: News Moving These Stocks [View article]
    It is just important to recognize that there still could be delays ahead, that was my only point. Not long or short here, just trying to point a potential pitfall out to readers.
    Apr 3, 2014. 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Oil, Coal And Iron Ore Names Rallying [View article]
    No you are right, but was discussing the day traders and their moves on the particular trading session. Bigger moves in smaller names.
    Mar 31, 2014. 11:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Buy These Oil Names And Avoid Fuel Cells [View article]
    The website is pretty old and has not been updated in some time as I was given the opportunity to write for other sites which provide a larger audience and better platform. SeekingAlpha, thestreet.com, realmoney and others. I keep the site linked because some people still remember past work.
    Mar 27, 2014. 10:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment