Matthew Smith

View Matthew Smith's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Today's Market: The EU Is Wrong To Go After America's 'Big Tech' Companies [View article]
    Sorry you feel that way. But I think that you should probably read the article again. I did and your quote is not even in the article. The quote was, "While we ourselves are Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) iPhone users..."

So like I said, I did speak for myself, and I've told you what I use. Why you cannot trust that, or understand it I do not know, and my personal use does apply to that quote. I'm guessing you are just an Apple bear or have some other ax to grind, but either way best of luck to you barantos!
    Apr 16, 2015. 08:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Well here is a question, what if Google simply optimizes their content to be picked up by the search engine like everyone else does, except their SEO is better because they actually know what the algorithm looks like? I'm not sure that the search results would be fixed in that case, and also do not see how that differs from software companies who have suites of products that work better simply because they are developed together in house. In my opinion the EU likes to venture into extremely gray areas of the law. I'd argue that this is an extension of search, and not a monopolistic move into a new industry. But we shall all see how this plays out in the months to come.
    Apr 16, 2015. 08:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I was...

However to qualify that statement it applies only to smartphones and tablets. Otherwise research is done on best bang for the buck and tech.
    Apr 15, 2015. 01:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Mergers, Spinoffs And Negative News Reports Impacting These Names [View article]
    Yeahhhhhhh, well unfortunately mine in the article is wrong...must have hit the 1 number key instead of 4 as I typed up my notes this morning! Sorry I did not catch it.
    Apr 6, 2015. 01:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Iran And Nigeria Weigh On Oil Markets, Natural Gas A Bright Spot [View article]
    Yes, this is usually the time of year where you go away. We were always taught to be bullish in the cold winter and hot summer...never the comfortable spring and fall months. Was simply pointing out how traders are behaving right now.
    Apr 6, 2015. 01:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Oil Asset Sales, Energy Price Target Cuts And Falling Railroad Stocks [View article]
    They have not reached capacity. The fear is that they will lose pricing power and current capacity as production tails off (of oil, coal, etc).
    Mar 30, 2015. 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Mergers, Buybacks And Breakups Moving Stocks Higher [View article]
    thanks crazty4tennis
    Mar 30, 2015. 10:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: 2 Merger And Acquisition Deals, Earnings And Other News [View article]
    If you sold you miss out on the dividend. It is paid upon closing and KRFT shareholders still have to vote on the deal. So yesterday's sellers simply locked in gains.
    Mar 26, 2015. 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Dividend Cuts, Mergers And Acquisitions, And Secondaries Moving These Stocks [View article]
    Yes, I was very surprised.
    Mar 25, 2015. 12:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: 5 Stocks Moving On News [View article]
    Never said they did...just reporting what was news.
    Mar 25, 2015. 10:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Asset Sales, Lower Rig Counts And Saudi Arabia's Comments [View article]
    The one thing that I really fear is an attack on Saudi oil infrastructure. I'm actually surprised that ISIS has not already attempted it to be honest...although maybe they have but we just don't know about it.
    Mar 24, 2015. 10:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Correct. As vireoman pointed out first up should be Iran, and down the road we could see more - although that depends on politics and civil wars.
    Mar 24, 2015. 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Healthcare Mergers And Acquisitions And Drug Concerns, PR Stunt Goes Bad [View article]
    Bigsmitty, you are correct. Guess my word processor made an edit I did not catch. Apologize for that.
    Mar 24, 2015. 10:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Gold Names Rallying, Further Cuts For Oil Companies [View article]
    I hear ya Peter. I have a small stash of precious metals (some gold, but mostly silver) stored away in case of troubling times.
    Mar 20, 2015. 09:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Big Tech News, Disappointing Banking News [View article]
    Thanks for the kind words and hope that you continue to enjoy the articles. I would point out that I am a strong bear when the markets dictate it, as the rare earths and coal markets have in the last few years. I do not run blindly with anyone.

Thus far the ECB news has been good for markets, especially the Germans. I think if you adjust for currency it is up 8% now...play money for sure, but it shows hope/optimism - and that is what markets are built around.
    Mar 20, 2015. 09:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment