Maxsoar

View Maxsoar's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Longwei Petroleum: The Most Brazen China-Based U.S. Listed RTO To Date [View article]
    Andrew,

Again the name change was a team decision, not mine. My partner felt strongly about having the team publishing using one single account to best consolidate our effort and readership. Seeking Alpha allows team publication but keep records of who is the main writer for each article. So, I neither tried to nor am able to hind the articles I published.

I am an investor who fully believed in the company because of all the extremely strong documents and information they released, and I felt passionate to share my thoughts of my investment here on Seeking Alpha. Now it appears that I probably have been completely fooled by the company's actions as many others have. Painful investment lesson to learn. I recently sold a couple other Chinese small caps I have because my confidence in this sector has dropped significantly. If a full-blown SAT/SAIC/SEC reconciliation done and signed by an American auditor is not enough to guarantee the numbers shown on a company's published income statements, I really don't know what else can.

Best,

Kevin
    Feb 24, 2013. 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is BlackBerry Finally Rising From Ashes? [View article]
    "The other piece everyone is missing is the fact that Blackberry put in place a mechanism to protect users from malware. Something that Apple and Google has not done with iOS or Android. "

Good point, and that is a very important factor for business users and people who care about security. However, we have not seen a reliable measure of exactly how more secure Blackberry phones are over iPhones and Android phones. So, for now it seems to be an experienced based, somewhat subjective assessment.
    Feb 13, 2013. 12:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is BlackBerry Finally Rising From Ashes? [View article]
    We are quite bullish on Sphere3D because SAAS is a young and fast growing market with a huge zoom to grow, and it is our view that Sphere3D's technologies and products are superior and about one year ahead of competitions. We think the company has the potential to be next Salesforce.com or Akamai. However, at this stage we need to wait and see how fast the company can reap the fruit of its R&D effort over the past 4 years and growth its sales.

If you are interested in knowing more about the company, please read their website and filing statements.
    Feb 12, 2013. 05:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is BlackBerry Finally Rising From Ashes? [View article]
    Wilsonia,

Yes the table in the article did show Z10's capability to expand to up to 32GB storage with a micro SD card. The 16GB storage is just a built-in memory.
    Feb 12, 2013. 05:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is BlackBerry Finally Rising From Ashes? [View article]
    The market seems to be seeing a loss-loss outcome of this new war today, which will be an unpleasant result for all investors. AAPL, GOOG, BBRY, and NOK all dropped.
    Feb 12, 2013. 04:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is BlackBerry Finally Rising From Ashes? [View article]
    Today the market seems to be seeing a loss-loss outcome of this new smart phone war, which if true will be unpleasant for all investors. Apple, NOK, BBRY all dropped.
    Feb 12, 2013. 04:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is BlackBerry Finally Rising From Ashes? [View article]
    Jay,

Good points. However, we think that you'll be surprised to find out how many people, especially kids and teenagers (no offense to them, just stating of facts) use and love a lot of junk apps. We are more inclined to side with your on this issue, although we are pretty sure that many Apple and Android loyals will say the opposite.
    Feb 12, 2013. 01:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is BlackBerry Finally Rising From Ashes? [View article]
    These are numbers published by the company or other sources. Sure, we all know that they may be for ideal usage in lab. Like MPGs for cars, end users can surely get less than the officially announced numbers.
    Feb 12, 2013. 12:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is BlackBerry Finally Rising From Ashes? [View article]
    Dear Editor,

Thanks for the prompt correction. Appreciate it.
    Feb 12, 2013. 12:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • New Oriental Education & Technology Group Is Showing Bearish Signs [View article]
    Thanks for your comments, everyone.

According to the latest price trend, I think EDU is most likely to swing in a tight range between $16.5 and $17.5 if there is no news coming from the company.

Good luck with your investment!
    Feb 9, 2013. 01:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Vaug,

I changed my account name to the company's because my colleagues decided to wrie articles using one company account. We changed our business model from spending a lot of time analyzng a company and getting very little in return to writing many small articles and quick trading or investment ideas to hopefully earning a small profit on each case.

We withdrew our analysis on LPH the day GEO article came out. As a group of outside public analysts, we cannot verify if the allegations are true, although we have to say that we are quite dissapointed by the company's lack of response. At this point there is nothing more for us to say about this company.

Kevin
    Feb 6, 2013. 12:12 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is It Finally Time To Short U.S. Treasury Bonds? [View article]
    Lionel,

I suppose that you are talking about TMV.

As an ETF that is designed to somehow track 20-year+ interest rate, theoretically it surely can be a hedge against higher long-term interest rates (including 30-year mortgage rate). However you need to keep these things in mind:

1. The ETF tracks inverse performance of 20-year "and up" treasury bonds. It does not guarantee to track bonds of exactly 30-year duration.

2. The ETF tracks 3x of the inverse performance of long-term bonds. So, theoretically it exhibits 3 times the effect of long-term interest rate changes. So, if you want to use it to offset potential increase of your interest expense, the ratio of your holding in TMV to your holding of opposing long-term debt instrument should be 1:3.

3. The ETF has management expenses and trading costs. It rolls over of its holding every month. So, it also faces additional short-term trading risks. Please read the ETF's prospects for detailed information.

There are also other factors to consider too. I suggest that you start with a small amount or sit at the sideline and just observe how the ETF moves when interest rate changes to get a better idea of how you can and should use it to hedge your interest rate risks.
    Jan 27, 2013. 02:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is It Finally Time To Short U.S. Treasury Bonds? [View article]
    John,

Thanks for pointing that out. Many writers here just use the short form CFA in their bio too. I know the full designation but didn't think people really care (again, there are a lot of "CFAs" on Seeking Alpha. Regardless, I've revised my bio per your suggestion.
    Jan 22, 2013. 12:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Actions Semiconductor Is Finally Moving, But Does It Have Legs? [View article]
    Barnsey,

I mentioned all these points in my previous posts. Take a look:

I am a long-time believer of Actions, as I am with a couple other Chinese stocks. My portfolio was just chopped an arm and a leg off by a the collapse of a Chinese small cap that I overly weighted in my portfolio due to alleged financial mis-statements. So, I am now taking a more cautious eye toward Chinese small caps that are "extremely undervalued" from relative valuation standpoint basing on P/E, P/B, etc. and have stronger desire for the management team to take shareholders' demand of returning excessive money on balance sheet to shareholders as much as they can.

Actions seem to be using its interest income to buffer operating losses over the past several years during its "transition period", which is fine for me. However as a shareholder I am a little bit dissatisfied with the ROI of their huge amount of R&D spending over the years. In my opinion, the company need to either deliver stronger revenue/gross profit growth going forward or return more cash to shareholders in order to significantly boost shareholders' confidence and the market's interest in the stock.

Kevin
    Jan 17, 2013. 05:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Kris,

Well you already said it yourself regarding low volume of a stock. Of course, most small caps have low volume simply because lack of attention and interest by Wall Street until someday somehow some bigger guys decide to invest in them or they come up with some hot technologies/products/... that attract a lot of investors' attention. ACTS certainly can have new products that do that. Hope that the new tablet product line is the turning point. We'll see about that.

Until then, yes, you'll have to face the low liquidity. This is especially a problem for short-term traders. That's why I've always thought that the stock is more suitable for long-term investors who are willing to wait for a long time for potentially big payoff (however some people can certainly argue the other way around).

Kevin