Michael Allison

View Michael Allison's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Pareto Portfolio Update [View article]
    Surfcove,
    At present that is the case; cash and stocks only.

For those of you following this thread, yesterday I purchased 90 more units of T.D.UN (Dream Office REIT) at 27.28 cdn, including commission. This brings my total to 901 units at an average cost of 25.87/unit.
    Feb 19, 2015. 06:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pareto Portfolio Update [View article]
    Surfcove,
    Thanks for your reply and sharing your own shortened story with us. When I read some of the articles on SA where the contributors talk about having 50 and more stocks, I just shake my head. In my view, if you're going to hold that many stocks, you may as well just buy index funds.

One of the contributors on SA, who is a big believer in DGI, can't even hold any cash. It seems as if each time he has some capital, he must buy something. And this particular individual has over 50 different companies in his portfolio already.

I personally feel that's not wise. I think it's prudent to always have a fair amount of cash available, because you never know when a great buying opportunity is going to present itself. As far as selling near market tops, a lot of people say you can't call the top, which of course, is true. But I think most investors who have been around the market for a long enough time can pretty much tell when the market is going to turn down in a big way. You might say it's a gut feeling, but the fact is that gut feelings are real and often correct.

So I place stops at certain points in the investment cycle, when I feel or think that things are getting too frothy. That way if there is a significant downturn, I'm stopped out of a holding. Even if that downturn turns out to be short-lived, I can always buy that stock back again.

Feb 18, 2015. 01:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pareto Portfolio Update [View article]
    Surfcove,
    Thanks for reading and commenting. Which companies are you holding at present and which ones are you watching?
    Feb 17, 2015. 12:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pareto Portfolio Update [View article]
    Timmies,
    Thanks for the reply and I appreciate you sending the link to your blog.
    Feb 16, 2015. 10:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pareto Portfolio Update [View article]
    TimmiesRegular,
    I am not US based. I'm a Canadian and presently based in Frankfurt, Germany.
    This is why, as you've noted, all of my quotes, including Coach and Cisco, are in Canadian dollars.
    As for D.UN, I believe that the company is doing just fine. I assume you saw their press release, which I've linked to here: http://bit.ly/1uEzyZW

I could be wrong, but I also think we're going to get some nice appreciation in the unit price. In any case, I'm quite content to hold for the yield and reinvest the interest in more units; at least for now.

I'd love to hear which companies you're presently long on, if you feel like sharing your ideas with us.

Have a great week!
    Feb 16, 2015. 12:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pareto Portfolio Update [View article]
    Sensible,
    Thanks for reading and for your positive contribution to this forum. I am interested in some of the companies you've referred to here, for instance Gilead, Celgene, and Hershey.
    Have a great week.
    Feb 16, 2015. 12:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pareto Portfolio Update [View article]
    Hardog and rms21,
    Thank you both for reading and your comments. As I said in the article, if you're going to use this investing method, you've got to choose well and then watch your portfolio like a hawk.
    You've got to be willing and ready to sell a position when one of two things happens; one of your choices changes fundamentally, e.g. the investment thesis is no longer positive for a particular company; or the market turns negative, e.g. when there is a significant market correction. If the market is going to drop 30 or 40 or more percent, I don't want to be holding anything, because everything will get hit hard. I'd rather sell near tops and wait out a large drop to get back in. That's my opinion though.
    Feb 16, 2015. 12:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pareto Portfolio Update [View article]
    Bob,
    Might you be referring to Cramer? Not sure, but I do also advocate some of his ideas.

Thanks for reading and have a good week in the markets.
    Feb 15, 2015. 11:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pareto Portfolio Update [View article]
    bostontrip,
    Thanks for reading and your comments. Yep, this strategy works well; but you do have to watch your holdings very carefully.

Enjoy the upcoming week.
    Feb 15, 2015. 11:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pareto Portfolio Update [View article]
    Eli,
    Thanks for reading and I also look forward to seeing how we do throughout the year that follows.

Have a great week!
    Feb 15, 2015. 11:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Cautionary Tale For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    Dale,
    I totally agree with your point here. IMHO, anyone who simply buys and holds, regardless of the valuation, is not getting anywhere near the optimal return on their invested capital.
    There is much more to investing than simply purchasing a DGS and then holding it forever. Both value and momentum matter if an investor wants to get the best out of their investments.
    There are times to buy DGSs and there are also times to sell them. You sell them when they are way overvalued, because they will revert to the mean again.
    And you buy them when they are undervalued AND they also have upward momentum. This investing methodology, referred to as VALUENTUM investing, beats the markets handily and beats buy and hold forever handily also.
    Feb 15, 2015. 01:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Cautionary Tale For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    I would suggest DGIers read this very interesting article on "Understanding How Dividends Impact Valuation."

Feb 13, 2015. 06:43 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In-Depth Interview With Natcore's CEO And Director Of Research And Technology [View article]
    Airithol,
    At present, I doubt that is their main focus, even though it would be nice to see some news on that, as you stated.

Personally, I'm going to purchase more of Natcore this week.

Enjoy your week!
    Feb 9, 2015. 02:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    GGG,
    You're welcome and have a great week. I'll be purchasing some more shares this week.
    Feb 9, 2015. 02:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi All,
    Chuck Provini was on the Korelin Economics Report again this weekend. Segment 6 of the show. Enjoy!

Feb 8, 2015. 01:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment