Michael Bodman

View Michael Bodman's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How To Ride A Bull Market: 1 Sector, 3 ETFs [View article]
    I agree that the quality of the jobs is as important as the number of jobs.
    Aug 29 09:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Ride A Bull Market: 1 Sector, 3 ETFs [View article]
    It's a fact that the economy has recovered all of the jobs lost since the Great Recession. However, the labor market is still weak in part because the working-age population has grown since the recession started, and there are not enough jobs to go around for the new people.

So, I take your point that the labor market is still weak. But I stand by my statement that all of the lost jobs have been recovered (see LA Times article below). What it all means is that we've still got a long way to go, but the trend is positive. Now could be a good time to invest as things are starting to get better.

Here is an article from the LA Times that sums things up pretty well on the point being debated here:

Aug 29 11:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why You Should Invest In Global Real Estate [View article]
    Thanks folks for these good comments.
    Jul 14 03:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 1 Stock Idea From The Heartland [View article]
    As you can probably tell from my article, I think that certain high-performing regional banks like BOK Financial are safer investments than certain high-flying Wall Street behemoths like Citigroup that engage in extremely complex financial transactions that they do not really understand.

You make a valid point that bigger banks have a broader portfolio of banking activities, which could conceivably help to reduce risk if things are managed properly. But the sheer size of some Wall Street banks often makes them opaque, even to insiders, in my opinion.
    Jul 7 03:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 1 Stock Idea From The Heartland [View article]
    Personally, I am not concerned about an uptick in insider selling. I believe in a long-term buy-and-hold approach. However, I realize that others may not have the same perspective. At current prices, I'd say that the stock is fairly valued, not trading at a big discount or premium. As a long-term holding, however, I'd say that BOK Financial is an attractive option to consider.
    Jul 7 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Protect Against Inflation Risk [View article]
    Thanks folks for sharing your views. There is no perfect way to own gold, in my opinion. That's one of the problems with this asset class -- it's heavy, cumbersome, and prone to theft. However, there are various alternatives available, as discussed in the article and these comments.

Michael
    Jun 11 12:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Inflation Is Not Dead [View article]
    Thank you for offering your thoughts.
    May 23 05:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yale University Endowment Increases Stake In Emerging Markets [View article]
    Watch out for decimal points. Here's a calculator to assist:

In any event, the point is not the decimals. I could be off myself on the decimals!

The point is that emerging markets are undervalued and unloved, which presents a buying opportunity, and that Yale has recognized this by more than quadrupling its stake in the emerging-markets asset class. Decimals don't change the point of the story, one way or the other.
    May 22 09:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yale University Endowment Increases Stake In Emerging Markets [View article]
    Thank you for this information, Uncle Pie. Interesting.
    May 22 03:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yale University Endowment Increases Stake In Emerging Markets [View article]
    On the other hand, the fact that Yale would choose the Vanguard Emerging Markets ETF shows what a good option it is for individual investors. Yale does purchase assets directly that non-accredited individual investors can't touch, such as hedge funds and private equity, but they also know a good ETF when they see one. It's the asset class -- emerging markets -- that Yale is trying to capture and VWO is one of the best, low-cost ways to do it.
    May 22 10:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why You Should Invest In These 2 International ETFs [View article]
    Glad to hear that you are staying disciplined about your emotions. "Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful," is what Warren Buffett says. Contrarians like Buffett use the psychology of the market to their advantage. That can be hard to accomplish in reality because we tend to get caught by our emotions when the market swings up and down. Keep up the good work.
    May 19 09:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Thoughts On Warren Buffett's Thoughts [View article]
    I agree that Berkshire Hathaway is a buy. Warren Buffett's talent is truly amazing. I believe that Berkshire Hathaway will endure and continue to outperform long after Buffett and Charlie Munger are gone.
    Mar 4 07:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Few Reasons Why I'm Staying Long On Shares Of CSX Corp. [View article]
    Good pick, in my opinion. Since deregulation in 1980, railroads are making a comeback in this country. The number of railroads has declined and survivors like CSX have fewer competitors. Railroads benefit from higher fuel prices and highway congestion, since rail is a more energy efficient mode of transportation for moving freight over long distances.

Warren Buffett's decision to acquire Burlington Northern Sante Fe (BNSF) is an indication of what a comeback the railroads have made in the last 30–40 years. If Buffett sees something in railroads, it's a good sign for other major carriers, including CSX.
    Mar 4 04:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Extraordinary Popular Delusions [View article]
    I live in Florida, where real estate prices got creamed in the aftermath of the financial crisis. Florida was at the bottom economically just recently. But, in the local news the other day, there was an economist who indicated, "Florida has gone from lagging the nation to leading the nation. The economy, real estate, and construction are booming again."

While I can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement, the cycle does appear to be moving in the direction of wide-eyed optimism. Florida seems to be a good indicator of boom and bust for the U.S. as a whole.
    Mar 3 06:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Frontier And Emerging Market Equities Are Not Created Equal [View article]
    Just to clarify, FM has over $500 million in assets.
    Mar 1 07:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment