Michael Eisenberg

View Michael Eisenberg's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Groupon, Facebook and the Mispricing of Disruption Risk [View article]
    Not sure I agree on Facebook but I think the rest of this post is both very important and spot on. This is part of what is decimating the concept of middle class across the world. Larger companies, where most of the middle class resided, are finding it harder to maintain those career paths in the face of massive disruption
    Aug 2 03:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A scary thought from MKM Partners: "The current debt ceiling impasse has the same feel to it that the TARP vote did back in 2008. Back then, TARP failed to pass the House on the first vote, but went through after the DJIA fell nearly 1,000 points in a single day as a result." Such a scare might be the only way to spark bickering lawmakers to pass an otherwise "unpassable" plan.  [View news story]
    this is called Mexican Chicken
    Jul 27 07:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A Top 40 Dividend-Growth Stock [View article]
    David -
    I suggest looking at these two news tidbits from iSuppli
    seekingalpha.com/curre...
    seekingalpha.com/curre...

here is a snippet "Quick take on iSuppli/ARM: If accurate, iSuppli's forecast translates into billions in lost revenues for Intel (INTC) and AMD. However, it presents a huge opportunity for Nvidia (NVDA) and Qualcomm (QCOM), who are developing ARM chips for the PC market. "
    Jul 18 04:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A Top 40 Dividend-Growth Stock [View article]
    I see may commenters focused on AMD. Watch out for ARM processors disrupting from the bottom. It is a classic Clay Christensen disruption.
    Jul 15 09:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Nielsen's Data Is Growing Long in the Tooth [View article]
    And, by the way, getting accurate mobile analytics is brutally difficult
    Jul 15 12:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Restaurant Industry Serves a Yummy Small-Cap Value Play [View article]
    The CEO points that out in the presentation I included. I too am worried about rising costs although I think in the short term there could be a downward correction in commodity prices. However, I think the consumer will bear the brunt of rising food costs in the longish term and margins will be stable. i think if you look at Dunkin Donuts upcoming IPO and KKD's performance, you will note the cheaper and filling retail food does better in recessionary times. I think NROM will be no different. But I agree this could be a risk.
    Jul 14 10:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Grain futures are getting pummeled in wake of the bearish USDA report. New crop wheat futures are off 7.4%, and corn might be down just as much if not for price limits. Beans are spared the worst of the carnage. JJG -6.6%, CORN -8.5%.  [View news story]
    Ethanol subsidies was and are a huge mistake. Ethanol is generally a mistake as well.
    Jun 30 01:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix CEO Reed Hastings Responds to Whitney Tilson: Cover Your Short Position. Now. [View article]
    45 minute Interview with NFLX CEO Reid Hastings at WSJ's D9 conference. Reid is fantastic. At minute 35 I asked him about his open letter on Seeking Alpha to Whitney Tilson telling him to cover his short and whether he thinks CEOs should publicly address the "shorts" like he did. www.marketwatch.com/vi...
    Jun 23 06:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • RIM Earnings Call: That Wasn't So Good, Was It? [View article]
    Very simply: read my partner Bill Gurley's post "The Freight Train That is Android" abovethecrowd.com/2011.../

The disruption and destruction is killing RIMM and NOK in its wake.
    Jun 17 11:17 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: 5 Better Ways to Spend Its Cash Than Buying Skype [View article]
    No fanboys. buying RIMM is like catching a falling knife right now and I am not sure how they can do it after they made the $1Bn Nokia bet.

I actually think Bing is working and they should be optimizing there.
    Jun 8 04:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Critics are questioning the fancy footwork of Groupon CEO Andrew Mason in the IPO prospectus to justify a lack of profit. Adjusted Consolidated Segment Operating Income? Huh? No matter how you slice it, income is income, and debits are debits.  [View news story]
    This is where the Andrew Mason Death Stare comes in Handy allthingsd.com/2011060...
    Jun 4 04:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia shares dive after sales warning [View article]
    And there was no Android Freight Train abovethecrowd.com/2011.../
    Jun 1 03:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In a Bloomberg interview, Israeli central bank chief Stanley Fischer shoots down rumors he will challenge Christine Lagarde for IMF boss. "I have a job which is important to me."  [View news story]
    It would be a pity to lose Fischer in israel. We would miss him but he is clearly the right person for the IMF job and the world would be crazy not to court him aggressively
    May 27 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Krispy Kreme Doughnuts (KKD): Q1 EPS of $0.13 beats by $0.04. Revenue of $104.6M (+13.6% Y/Y) beats by $8M. Shares +1.1% premarket. (PR)  [View news story]
    I own this stock (KKD) and like it running past $10 bucks
    May 23 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Nielsen's Data Is Growing Long in the Tooth [View article]
    I agree Trout but bear in mind that companies that get used to exact measurement on the internet will not settle for less precise methods in other media.
    May 19 06:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment