Michael Eisenberg

View Michael Eisenberg's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Greece Datapoints of the Day [View article]
    I just got back from Greece and i think I finally get it. The problem is deeply cultural. The greeks are amazing at vacations. I even met a senior Greek government official while vacationing there. Here is another list:

1. There were no protests when we arrived in Greece because everyone was at their vacation home outside of Athens. They were scheduled to resume Today!!
    2. there is no innovation in Greece and the modern economy demands innovation. The senior official I met told me that they have technology expertise but it is scattered and unfocused geographically and sectorally. There are close to zero government initiatives in technology and innovation. he wanted to learn from Israel.
    3. When my friend and i asked him about the upcoming privatizations, he was quite honest that he was not certain whether it would be done the old Greek way (bribes) or in some new transparent way. He also candidly said that the government companies could end up in the hands of the wealthy few and that could lead to more concentration in the economy, higher prices and less competition.
    4. Everything in Greece seems frightfully expensive in Euros. no wonder given the amount of water transport needed for everything. they need their own currency in order to boost tourism given that most of their tourists are Europeans and comparing prices on everything to prices in their own countries.
    5. I spoke to numerous Greeks who moaned about the government discussed austerity measures. However, when I asked them if they would be willing to work second jobs or longer hours they raised their hands and said, "not me."

I could go on but you get the point. The most important anecdote is that we rented a minibus for our family and friends to get from Piraeus to a hotel in Athens. When I asked the driver how much it was, Dimitrius responded "120 Drakmas." I think that was wishful thinking for both of us :)
    Aug 31 10:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Krispy Kreme (KKD) continued its comeback today, rallying 9.3% after delivering FQ2 results that beat Street forecasts, and reiterating its FY12 forecast for 15-25% operating income growth. Mark Krieger likes the company's expansion efforts, and notes that Green Mountain Coffee (GMCR) founder Robert Stiller has upped his stake in Krispy Kreme to 11%.  [View news story]
    FD: Long KKD. When they get coffee truly launched this thing should go up more. Management has turned this puppy around.
    Aug 27 04:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facing a Jobless Future [View article]
    Jeff - Spot on!! I totally agree. Add to that the effects of an ever speedier economy giving advantage to young web-savvy people in service jobs which helps explain the chronically unemployed. plus, because we did not let the disruption happen in 2008 in parts of the financial sector and other industries, we pushed them to get to leaner and hence employ less people to get profits up but at the same time did not fund innovation....oops
    Aug 7 01:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • There Is No Economic Recovery [View article]
    The middle class is disappearing as technology optimizes productivity, finance and gov't ossify, and corporations hunker down for a tough future. recommend reading Umair Haque's New Capitalist Manifesto.
    Aug 2 08:27 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Groupon, Facebook and the Mispricing of Disruption Risk [View article]
    Not sure I agree on Facebook but I think the rest of this post is both very important and spot on. This is part of what is decimating the concept of middle class across the world. Larger companies, where most of the middle class resided, are finding it harder to maintain those career paths in the face of massive disruption
    Aug 2 03:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A scary thought from MKM Partners: "The current debt ceiling impasse has the same feel to it that the TARP vote did back in 2008. Back then, TARP failed to pass the House on the first vote, but went through after the DJIA fell nearly 1,000 points in a single day as a result." Such a scare might be the only way to spark bickering lawmakers to pass an otherwise "unpassable" plan.  [View news story]
    this is called Mexican Chicken
    Jul 27 07:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A Top 40 Dividend-Growth Stock [View article]
    David -
    I suggest looking at these two news tidbits from iSuppli
    seekingalpha.com/curre...
    seekingalpha.com/curre...

here is a snippet "Quick take on iSuppli/ARM: If accurate, iSuppli's forecast translates into billions in lost revenues for Intel (INTC) and AMD. However, it presents a huge opportunity for Nvidia (NVDA) and Qualcomm (QCOM), who are developing ARM chips for the PC market. "
    Jul 18 04:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A Top 40 Dividend-Growth Stock [View article]
    I see may commenters focused on AMD. Watch out for ARM processors disrupting from the bottom. It is a classic Clay Christensen disruption.
    Jul 15 09:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Nielsen's Data Is Growing Long in the Tooth [View article]
    And, by the way, getting accurate mobile analytics is brutally difficult
    Jul 15 12:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Restaurant Industry Serves a Yummy Small-Cap Value Play [View article]
    The CEO points that out in the presentation I included. I too am worried about rising costs although I think in the short term there could be a downward correction in commodity prices. However, I think the consumer will bear the brunt of rising food costs in the longish term and margins will be stable. i think if you look at Dunkin Donuts upcoming IPO and KKD's performance, you will note the cheaper and filling retail food does better in recessionary times. I think NROM will be no different. But I agree this could be a risk.
    Jul 14 10:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Grain futures are getting pummeled in wake of the bearish USDA report. New crop wheat futures are off 7.4%, and corn might be down just as much if not for price limits. Beans are spared the worst of the carnage. JJG -6.6%, CORN -8.5%.  [View news story]
    Ethanol subsidies was and are a huge mistake. Ethanol is generally a mistake as well.
    Jun 30 01:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix CEO Reed Hastings Responds to Whitney Tilson: Cover Your Short Position. Now. [View article]
    45 minute Interview with NFLX CEO Reid Hastings at WSJ's D9 conference. Reid is fantastic. At minute 35 I asked him about his open letter on Seeking Alpha to Whitney Tilson telling him to cover his short and whether he thinks CEOs should publicly address the "shorts" like he did. www.marketwatch.com/vi...
    Jun 23 06:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • RIM Earnings Call: That Wasn't So Good, Was It? [View article]
    Very simply: read my partner Bill Gurley's post "The Freight Train That is Android" abovethecrowd.com/2011.../

The disruption and destruction is killing RIMM and NOK in its wake.
    Jun 17 11:17 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: 5 Better Ways to Spend Its Cash Than Buying Skype [View article]
    No fanboys. buying RIMM is like catching a falling knife right now and I am not sure how they can do it after they made the $1Bn Nokia bet.

I actually think Bing is working and they should be optimizing there.
    Jun 8 04:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Critics are questioning the fancy footwork of Groupon CEO Andrew Mason in the IPO prospectus to justify a lack of profit. Adjusted Consolidated Segment Operating Income? Huh? No matter how you slice it, income is income, and debits are debits.  [View news story]
    This is where the Andrew Mason Death Stare comes in Handy allthingsd.com/2011060...
    Jun 4 04:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment