Michael Filighera

View Michael Filighera's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Raising Interest Rates Might Not Be As Crazy As Some Make It Seem [View article]
    Well stated -- but I would add an additional segment that would likely lean on the negative side of interest rates being raised with regards to a bullish or bearish reaction. That would be the record high levels of margin debt. Once rates begin to rise it would begin to cut into profit margins both realized and unrealized. I believe this will ultimately contribute to an escalation of a market sell off. What would your take of this be? Thanks --
    Mar 3, 2015. 04:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why The Correction Didn't Become A Crash [View article]
    Well said James -- here in your comment and above in your article -- and yes - I would agree -- how high? Perhaps bubble high -- doesn't mean you or anybody else is in favor of it - or needs to defend it -- your statement as to what business you are in was spot on -- whether or not we agree with the fact that the equity markets continue to surge higher should not cloud a decision to participate and make profits along the way. Whether or not I believe the S&P 500, DJIA, or NDX is fairly priced or over priced does not amount to much as the buyers flock in to trade. I don't have to agree with current levels to trade --
    Oct 31, 2014. 09:56 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The End Of An Era [View article]
    Point well taken James -- QE4 would not be a positive signal that "all is well". Like yourself I believe the corner the FED has painted itself into will be difficult to walk out of unscathed. At the moment it seems that long bond holders are living a nightmare that conventional wisdom continues to tell them to sit tight - a mistake that will come back to haunt many in the future.
    Jun 21, 2013. 08:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The percentage of bears in the Investors Intelligence poll declines to 18.8%. It's the first time below 20 since May 2011, and dips below 20 marked market tops in 2010 and 2011, notes  a usually bullish Ryan Detrick. "Be aware." [View news story]
    bbro -- yes selloffs did occur -- here are the periods for the SPX - March to August 2004, April to May 2005, October 2005, May 2006, February 2007, and then June through July 2007. I'm sure if you check the same periods for the DJIA, NDX, and Russell you will find they also experienced sell offs --

Oh, BTW --Currently, I don't believe the broader indexes have seen the highs yet.
    Mar 13, 2013. 02:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Mark Hurd resigned as H-P's (HPQ) CEO in 2010, Steve Jobs told Hurd and other friends he feared H-P's board would now "send the company spiraling into chaos," according to BloombergBusinessweek. As Jobs' fears have arguably been realized, many inside H-P have accused Hurd of mortgaging H-P's future. But while some of those critiques may be valid, "they fail to capture why HP’s prospects got so much worse so quickly after Hurd left," the magazine notes The constant through it all has been chairman Ray Lane, accused at times of filling H-P's oft-criticized board with cronies. [View news story]
    Well stated Wyostocks --
    Jan 13, 2013. 12:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Spanish Auction Confirms Euro Bull Market For 2013 [View article]
    Tom -- thanks for another great article -- as an analyst I appreciate your insight and depth on inflation, gold, silver, US Bonds, and ECB Bonds -- of course it helps to stand in total agreement as well! Next week should be very revealing as to the various cycles now coming into play. I agree with your analysis on the EUR and the 140 level has returned to the realm of reality.
    Jan 13, 2013. 12:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Silver Is Not Quite Ready To Rally [View article]
    Tom - great article - well researched. Thanks for presenting many over looked facts regarding silver's monetary implications with respect to gold dominance there. As a technical analyst I have been tracking a corrective pattern in both gold and silver off of the 2011 highs. In gold that pattern has been a "triangle" (classic Elliott pattern btw) which stands a high probability of being complete or nearly so. Silver while also tracing a range bound pattern may also have completed the correction with the next rally phase in its beginning stages.

The inflationary factors that will ultimately burst the remaining economic bubbles (US $ and Bonds) should remain beneficial in pushing precious metals prices higher -- I also stand in agreement with your "initial" targets of $2000+ in gold and $50+ in silver for 2013.

I look forward to reading additional research from you.

Michael
    Jan 13, 2013. 11:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Grand Bargain: 8 Factors That Could Drive A Surprise On The Deficit [View article]
    James -- thanks for a well written, well researched and thought provoking article. As the country and DC players emerge from their prospective "bubbles" and increase their anti-depression meds it would be with great expectation that the country awaits their response to the impending "jumping off the cliff" scenario so clearly defined by many.

I appreciate your take on this subject and more objective and in line with your longer term work. Thank you.
    Nov 8, 2012. 09:56 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodity Chart Of The Day: Silver [View article]
    Excellent technical analysis -- thanks Matthew!
    Oct 24, 2012. 01:13 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Risk Of 'Buy And Hold Forever' Investing [View article]
    Roger -- excellent comps -- and a strong point made --

" The job then becomes monitoring the names owned and being on the lookout for serious changes which can include grossly excessive valuations."

Thanks --

Michael
    Oct 22, 2012. 03:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 50 Shades Of Stock Market Grey [View article]
    Well written -- brilliant title! Thank you Eric -- your insight is "spot-on" and timely.
    Oct 21, 2012. 12:53 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kicking The Can Down The Cliff [View article]
    George -- thanks for a good article -- after spending the past 2 months on vacation- and free of the market "summer doldrums" - although I admit to scanning SA to feed my info junkie side - your article was the perfect read! I particularly enjoyed your comparison of the S&P 1 and AAPL (very appropriate I might add) --

I look forward to reading more of your work in the future as I add my name to your "followers" list.

Michael
    Aug 18, 2012. 01:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. Stock Market Complacency On Verge Of Collapse [View article]
    Excellent article James -- I appreciate your willingness to continue to step out and present a clear and important message - one that seems to be lost by so many who don't seem to see the status quo changing right in front of them.
    Jul 8, 2012. 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is The Financial Sector Under Siege? - Financial Giants Vs. The Dodd Frank Act [View article]
    Paul,

HFT trading is huge and provides much of the liquidity within many issues traded on listed exchanges. Computerized trading has become an integral part of how trading takes place these days. As a result the status quo is changing. I have found that most people do not want to hear that the status quo is changing or that a trend change is taking place right in front of them. Why - I suppose there are as many reasons as there are people. In any case my premise is that the status quo is changing and as I quoted "it can not be vetoed". I also have studied cycles on a long, mid, and short-term basis. To deny their existence does not eliminate their happening.

I found your question fascinating - "if you think human beings have any use, or if our time on earth is rapidly coming to an end?" As a person of faith I would have to answer yes to human beings having a use for correct information - I believe that fear (false evidence appearing real) is conquered through educating oneself - being prepared for rather than succumbing to negative thought or actions releases us from the grip of panic and often allows us to be in it - but not of it. I hope that makes sense. To answer the second part of your question I do not think out time on earth is rapidly coming to an end -- for some I'm sure it feels that way and might even be misinterpreted as "the way out" - but it ultimately isn't. The global economies will right themselves - however not without much pain and confusion. I prefer though to be prepared (not surprised) and accept what it may bring and move on.
    Jun 22, 2012. 02:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Paul --

Thanks for your additional thoughts on NYX -- I do stand in agreement with what you've presented! In fact, your analogy regarding "eating lunch" was perfect as was "eating cake".

Thank you for you honest response - it is always a pleasure to have an open dialogue with others who also "do their homework".

Michael