Michael Filloon

View Michael Filloon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Bakken Update: Whiting's Extensive Refrac Inventory May Provide Significant Upside [View article]
    phaedrus1952,

Do you have the well numbers for those or the names of those specific wells for the readers? Thanks!
    Apr 20, 2015. 01:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you David!
    I appreciate it! http://bit.ly/1si3hbl
    Apr 11, 2015. 06:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    nmsinvesting,

Going from memory, most if not all of their initial wells are. Its difficult to know as the regulations in ND when horizontals were first drilled didn't make operators share much about well design and it is very difficult to find information as it is all over the file as opposed to now, where they provide much better info. http://bit.ly/1si3hbl
    Apr 11, 2015. 06:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Benni,

I hadn't heard that this technology would be good for it earliest wells as much of what they have done is conventional and does not require fraccing. I would guess they have done some vertical fracs as this has been done for a very long time. I do know that they are very interesting in fraccing natural gas focused shale but this is something just starting. Thanks for everything Benni, I appreciate that is paper helped you with some questions you had.
    Apr 10, 2015. 10:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Pablomike,

I believe you are correct about the earliest wells. Craig's comment above addresses this and provides the specific reasons the earliest wells are the best candidates within core areas. I appreciate it, I would like to get here more, but all of my investment specific research stays on the site at shaletrader. I will try to get here a little more though, if possible. http://bit.ly/1si3hbl
    Apr 10, 2015. 10:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Craig!
    Apr 10, 2015. 10:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Fossilfuel,

Awesome response as always. I appreciate you taking the time sharing your expertise. http://bit.ly/1si3hbl
    Apr 10, 2015. 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Douglas,

I would say yes, but would stress there isn't a lot of data that provides us with the consistency we need to know if the newer completion styles working in concert with refracs will work. From a resource standpoint using a refrac cost of $2 million, yes it is very possible. http://bit.ly/1si3hbl
    Apr 10, 2015. 11:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bison73,

Thanks, There are some issues with longer laterals but none of which would be more difficult under the lake. EOG and some others, I think QEP also have drilled 15000 foot laterals and had pretty good results. The only issues with longer laterals seem to be control of the job which gets more difficult as it gets bigger (not as big of a deal), but the further out the toe (end) of the lateral is from the pump trunks does sacrifice some of the power generated by the HHP. But I would say no, they should be able to go longer under the lake. http://bit.ly/1si3hbl
    Apr 10, 2015. 11:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Phaedrus1952,

Excellent point. Coiled tubing fracs could produce significant upside in refracs with respect to tightening up stages, but I must admit there is very little data if any in its utilization in refracs. Its application is interesting though.
    Apr 10, 2015. 12:06 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    nmsinvesting,

Thanks. I am unsure if open hole wells are better candidtates, but if Craig is around and could add to this conversation is would be great. His expertise is vast with respect to unconventional production and he has always been able to add to questions I have been unable to answer. Whiting Legacy wells are almost all straight sand fracs. This is very important as ceramic proppant is much more resilient than sand and because of this it holds the fracs open better especially if the operator didn't use enough proppant. Since sand crushes out more, production ceases earlier and would leave more resource to be recovered. Either way, it probably wouldn't affect the inventory much as both have not produced well. As for Brehm 13-7h, I used that as the upside for what a refrac would produce in this paper. It is not a candidate (but could be given the marked increase in production with its more recent sand heavy completions), but more of the upside to a refrac. Have a great night!
    Apr 9, 2015. 11:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Pablomike,

I did a quick scan of wells completed since WLL said they would be doing those refract and I couldn't find them. If I find that data I will let you know. http://bit.ly/1si3hbl
    Apr 9, 2015. 11:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Benni,

Definitely a subject that has come to the limelight recently and one that there are a significant number of questions about. The newest completion technologies are so much better than those used initially, that there is a lot of upside once the operators begin to perfect the technique. There are also a large number of questions to be answered. The best way to look at the subject, is older wells left a lot of resource in place that can be recovered using these new techniques at a much lower cost. http://bit.ly/1si3hbl
    Apr 9, 2015. 11:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Douglas,
    WTI with an $11 Bakken light differential. As for upcoming pipeline projects in ND check out this table.
    Apr 9, 2015. 03:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Don Peppe Di Prata,

I agree with Craig here. Although the article makes some very specific points, we have no idea how these wells will react to refracs. Do we think there is value? Definitely, but this more of a speculative thought as we don't have near the data we need to know how some of these will produce. Have a great day!
    Apr 9, 2015. 02:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment