Michael Filloon

View Michael Filloon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Bakken Update: Answers To Why U.S. Oil Production Remains High While Prices Tank [View article]
    Aricool,

I think we need one of the "smarter" oil guys to help with this question, but what I understand is the Mesh sand was added to the frac in the purpose of filling in the finest of cracks. I think you know that they didn't use mesh sand at all a while ago, but operators found it filled in the little nooks and crannies. As for the pressures being greater, I don't know the answer to that (its actually a question I have thought about with respect to mesh). With the much larger volumes of mesh being ordered and used, it has to increase production, at least that is what the data show. Sorry I couldn't be more help with that.
    Aug 9, 2015. 05:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Aricool,

Great catch. Mega-Fracs are, in some cases, delaying the decline curve completely over the first 6 months and sometimes longer. So instead of a very big first producing month we see several if not more before the decline curve begins. My perception of this situation is there is so much resource produced from the better fraccing, that all of the pressure and resource cannot get out of the choked well. This use to be a 30 day situation (or less) and now we see it over a series of months. The Riverview 102 32H will be interesting. It produced 82800 bbls of oil over the first 30 days. This would be the biggest month I have ever recorded in ND, and probably is the record. So this short lateral Mega-Frac (don't know for sure because I have not seen the well file) could have produced more based on a wider choke, but if it was choked at an equivalent level 38/64 we would need to see how long it takes for a significant decline.
    Aug 9, 2015. 05:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Aricool,

Thanks for that, looks like our data didn't get inputted correctly. I will get fixed or removed.
    Aug 9, 2015. 04:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Aricool!

We just keep plugging along hoping to run into new technologies. I have been fortunate to be able to work with and have made good friends that have helped a lot in getting some of these new developments out to our readers. I would love to get a Pulitzer, but I don't think I am on their radar. Have a good one!
    Aug 9, 2015. 04:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    seeking betta,

I saw what he had to say, and am hoping he is right. CLB is a great company so it is difficult to discount what they are saying. I hope they are right. Would be nice to get oil prices back up. I just am not sure as of right now.......
    Aug 9, 2015. 04:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    phaedrus1952,

I wonder if he was just talking about induced fracs or the naturally occurring fractures that may already connect the locations.
    Aug 9, 2015. 04:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    phaedrus1952,

Yep, that well is a monster. Not sure if I have seen one like it.
    Aug 9, 2015. 04:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    3636401,

Operators keep cutting costs, and I think we will continue to see that in cap ex. Cutting production will be a last resort.
    Aug 9, 2015. 04:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Carl! Appreciate it!
    Aug 9, 2015. 03:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks PDE!
    Aug 9, 2015. 03:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Carl!
    Aug 9, 2015. 03:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    James Hanshaw,

Carl answered this one perfectly, but I will kindof summarize. The first 5 to 6 years (or so), the fractures created by the operator produce. This provides more than half of the production over the well's life. I think 50% is around 3.75 and 4 years. After those fractures quit producing the shale matrix produces and declines at around 5%. Since most of that production comes from the fracs, operators start to re-frac and induced or create more new ones. When people say that wells only produce for a few years they just keep declining the well at a very high rate and don't count the change in decline rates.

The only issue with modelling a horizontal well out that far, is most of those models come from vertical gas dominated fracs. So it isn't an apples to apples comparison but most petroengineers believe horizontal liquids will produce for this long.
    Aug 9, 2015. 03:34 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Chancer,

You could be right, as anything is possible, but I hope its higher.
    Aug 9, 2015. 03:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Andrew Granowitz,

If oil is here in a year, no one is going to look very good.
    Aug 9, 2015. 02:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Gregg,

EOG continues to lead the pack. ShaleMapsPro really does an excellent job! Cool thing is anyone can get maps just like that or custom and have one in their home or business.
    Aug 9, 2015. 02:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment