Michael Fitzsimmons

View Michael Fitzsimmons' Comments BY TICKER:
  • How I Retired At 45 [View instapost]
    Thanks Larry. I just wish SA would have published it on the main screen. But they passed - said it was too much about "personal finances" to which my thought was, how can an article about retiring early not be about personal finances?
    Feb 19, 2014. 05:13 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Retired At 45 [View instapost]
    Thanks for the correction - you are right. But I also do barter - especially with my garden vegetables and with my labor.
    Feb 19, 2014. 05:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Retired At 45 [View instapost]
    polecat - I am glad you have made a great recovery from your stroke. I did not take good care of my health in my 20's....ran around too much living the single life in San Diego. Too much drinking combined with too much work - we'd drink coffee to get through 10 hr work days and then go to the Mexican bar after work and shoot tequila so we could sleep and get up the next day and go to work (rinse and repeat). Long story short a doctor diagnosed me with a peptic ulcer at the age of 26. Needless to say that was a wakeup call and I soon got my act together. Today, I am able to make it by on a $110/month catastrophic health plan, $5k out of pocket deductible, but it works for me. If I had signficant health problems now, I'd probably have to go back to work. Knock on wood. Teeth are a big deal too if you are retired...serious dental bills can really eat into someone living off their savings and investments.

All things I hope young people learn early in life.
    Feb 19, 2014. 05:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Retired At 45 [View instapost]
    Haha - why thank you Hungry.
    Feb 19, 2014. 05:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Can't Retire At 30, Then How About 38? [View article]
    No offense to Roger, but if you want some real, actionable, and practical advice on how to retire early, read this instablog post which explains how I retired at 45:

Feb 19, 2014. 03:18 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • California Drought A Huge Opportunity For Small-Cap Energy Recovery Inc. [View article]
    I agree. James - I suggest you click here:

and read some previous articles on ERII. In particular, it would be good to understand the PX product line, how these energy recovery devices are used, and what the benefits are to those who deploy them.
    Feb 19, 2014. 02:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dresser-Rand Is Still No Bargain [View article]
    I have to eat some crow on DRC. I am very disappointed in management. There seems to be a pattern of a lack of transparency that is troubling. Plus, on the company's website it is very hard to find someone in investor relations to email when you have questions. Anyhow, good job on the article but, unfortunately, it proves my previous articles on the company were off the mark.
    Feb 19, 2014. 11:12 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Evansb01: it's a matter of sales volumes and revenue. After the company's changes after new management came in, they have invested in O&G skids, in some cases giving them away to prospective customers. But they have production capacity to handle much larger order growth, and if and when those orders start coming in, alot or revenue should drop to the bottom line. I'd be very surprised if ERII was not profitable for full-year 2014. That said, we do need to see contract announcements and order growth. And that is the risk - that the contracts and order growth will not materialize.
    Feb 19, 2014. 09:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Phillips 66 Partners Overextended Here? [View article]
    I think PSX has held up quite well during the recent market sell-off. It's only $3 and change below it's all-time high.
    Feb 19, 2014. 09:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Phillips 66 Partners Overextended Here? [View article]
    Hi Indio - I would rank PSX as a BUY and long-term hold, and have for sometime now. I see PSXP as attractive, but not compelling, after the recent run-up. So if I had to pick one, it would obviously be PSX.
    Feb 18, 2014. 10:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Phillips 66 Partners Overextended Here? [View article]
    Hi Wally - Glad you asked :)

I thought COP's Q4 and full-year 2013 results were excellent. I don't understand why COP sold off as did XOM & CVX - both of which delivered much weaker Q4 and full year results. COP's RRR=147% and the organic reserves replacement was 179%. Cash margins improved by 11% and the company ended the year with $6.5 billion in cash - $2.6 billion more in cash than at the beginning of the year. I mean are you kidding me? COP (PE=8.9, 4.2% yield) should be trading at a premium to XOM (PE=12.8, 2.7% yield), instead of such a big discount. And if COP continues to execute in 2014 as it did in 2013, I think that gap will be considerably closed. This will happen imho. Please see this article if you haven't already (COP Showing XOM & CVX How To Run An Oil Company):

Feb 18, 2014. 10:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Statoil: Raising 12-Month Price Target To $31; Stock Could Double In 4-5 Years [View article]
    Hello englishlab: My impression of the new government is that it is eager to fix some of the issues facing STO: the large government stake, the rules and regulations causing price inflation in the oil sector, and of course declining NCS production. By expanding in the US, Brazil, and elsewhere STO has shown the government that it is quite capable of spending its capital outside of Norway. And why shouldn't it considering the cost inflation at home? As such, it seems to me the company has got the government's attention and much of what I have read lately seems to indicated the government is pragmatic enough to make some policy changes.
    Feb 18, 2014. 05:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi James: again, as I have tried to explain to user "experienced" above, ERII has absolutely nothing to do with "cleaning up the fracking process". ERII has nothing at all to do with the fracking process. What ERII does do is reduce energy consumption and emission in ***gas processing plants***. Plesae note there is a big difference between a gas well and a gas processing plant.
    Feb 18, 2014. 03:15 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    experienced: Well, I think we are talking apples & oranges here. ERII products would be used in gas processing plants, not gas extraction wells. And ERII's energy recovery products are not used to "clean things up", they are used to reduce energy consumption (and emissions) by harnessing otherwise lost energy from pressure differentials. So again, I don't really see your point with respect to the environment.
    Feb 18, 2014. 03:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hello experienced: Please note my opinion ERII could double in 2014 was before this article on the number of California plants and does not take them into account. The earlier price target was based on previous business opportunities in the SWRO market as well as my opinion that ERII will indeed make initial bookings for skids in the O&G market. The developments in CA are above and beyond these developments. As I said in the article, it will obviously take some time for these plants to be permitted and built and for the orders to roll into to ERII. That said, I have no doubt ERII will win a significant amount of this business as they are headquartered in CA and not far from many of these planned plants.

I am not sure about your point with respect to O&G. The oil patch culture cares very much about profits, and ERII's devices will save big money on power bills and have a very quick payback (~1 year). So this doesn't have anything to do with "clean-up technologies". It has to do with profits.

The time to buy ERII is before the contracts start rolling in. With such a small company, big contracts can have a significant effect on the stock price.
    Feb 18, 2014. 10:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment