Michael Fitzsimmons

View Michael Fitzsimmons' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Vermilion Energy: A 4.2% Yield And A 15-Year 25.5% Total Return CAGR [View article]
    Oh man...you're gonna pin me down huh? That's a tough call: how about I say VET is heads, IPPLF is tails, and you flip the coin?
    Feb 13, 2014. 05:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Uncle - I thought it was quite a find too.
    Feb 13, 2014. 04:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Phillips 66 Partners to acquire $700M in assets from Phillips 66 [View news story]
    Man, don't I wish every stock I owned wanted to unleash shareholder value like the PSX-PSXP combo. Like I keep saying, PSX could likely be the single best investment in "Shale USA":

and dropping down assets to PSXP is just one reason why. What a company!
    Feb 13, 2014. 03:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Reasons To Own ConocoPhillips For The Long Haul [View article]
    whitehairdevil: Found this on a New Standards webpage:

Feb 13, 2014. 03:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Statoil says Johan Sverdrup output may reach 650K barrels per day [View news story]
    This field is an absolute monster. In addition to STO, check out the impact Johan Sverdrup could have on Lundin Petroleum:

Feb 13, 2014. 09:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • ConocoPhillips: Showing Exxon And Chevron How To Run An Oil Company [View article]
    Hopefully XOM will be over $100 (and stay over $100...) at some point over the next 15 years ;)
    Feb 12, 2014. 08:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    FleetUSA: yes, COP certainly paid a price for BR. However, at least Mulva was pragmatic enough to do something to right the ship and reward shareholders in the long run. Also, COP got a lot of nice shale property from the BR takeover.

Yes, of the three (which I also own), I rank them COP, CVX, and XOM. Which interestingly enough is also the dividend yield ranking. That's a very simple and clear way to highlight how each company puts a priority on shareholder returns since I also rank them in the same order in terms of 12-month share price appreciation potential.
    Feb 12, 2014. 05:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I have no interest in selling my XOM shares either - I'd just fork over capital gains taxes to the government. I just want a decent yield. No excuse for the best balance sheet in the industry to pay out the lowest dividend yield.
    Feb 12, 2014. 05:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    He nailed the past...for sure. Please see my response to his comment.
    Feb 12, 2014. 05:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    wdchil - or I could just re-direct my investment dollars away from Exxon and toward other energy stocks that pay a significant higher dividend. And that is what I have been doing for years now.
    Feb 12, 2014. 05:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, I understand and that is the problem with the "new Exxon". Long term shareholders are sitting on a cost basis that is sometimes single digits. As a result, they cannot sell because of the capital gains burden. Since the share price hasn't done squat in 5 years, we have been stuck with the lowest dividend yield in the peer group. Exxon management knows it too.
    Feb 12, 2014. 05:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I guess I just got spoiled in the years before Tillerson took over at Exxon. Personally, I would love to see Exxon replace Tillerson with COP CEO Ryan Lance. I think Exxon shareholders would be simply amazed at the shareholder value Lance would unleash...and the total return the company is capable of given a CEO that is concerned with absolute shareholder returns as opposed to saying "we return money to shareholders through buybacks" when buybacks actually have rewarded XOM management instead of the shareholder.
    Feb 12, 2014. 05:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Massive Johan Sverdrup Oil Field: Worth An Extra 30% For Lundin Petroleum [View article]
    Hi fmhaynes11 - thanks for the commentary, which I enjoyed, and also for the link, which I am reading now. Your contribution is appreciated.
    Feb 12, 2014. 05:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Rogier - I am not familiar enough with Det Norske to offer an opinion. As for the delay news, I really don't think it's a big deal. This is a monster reservoir, and I doubt the partners are in a hurry to jump into development until they have completed preliminary studies and analysis. Obviously the smaller firms involved are in a much bigger hurry than is STO, because the project is a much larger percentage of reserves and revenue for them. I think this is one reason Lundin has receded from post discovery highs - the length of time it has taken to officially book Johan Sverdrup reserves.
    Feb 12, 2014. 01:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    That is the problem with long-term XOM investors, many of which are elderly. They can't afford to sell without paying facing a huge capital gains tax exposure due to *past* performance - I am obviously talking pre Rex Tillerson. Since Tillerson took over, not only has the stock done nothing, but the yield is the lowest in the peer group. So here are all these elderly shareholders who can't sell the stock and can't get income on CDs due to the Fed's zero interest rate policy, and XOM won't even pay them 3% a year. That is why I am surprise there isn't much more angst directed at XOM from the shareholder base...but that is also a characteristic of my parents' generation - they don't complain as much. But, I think XOM will hear about it at the annual meeting, especially with the Q4 results and the corresponding stock drop.
    Feb 12, 2014. 10:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment