Michael Fitzsimmons

View Michael Fitzsimmons' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Will ConocoPhillips Benefit From Freeport LNG's Export Approval? [View article]
    That's a good question - the amount seemed very large to me for an import terminal that is not even being used. Perhaps an accountant familiar with this type of investment will jump in and comment. Otherwise, I'll send the question to the company. I expected such a large charge to be discussed in the conf. call, but I guess all the analysts already understand it. I don't.
    Aug 2 08:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    rlp - Thanks for the comment, the first paragraph of which is correct. Although COP will take a charge, it's going to save alot of money getting out of an ill-conceived vision (importing LNG to the US).

The second part of your comment is not quite correct. As this article pointed out, COP has no equity stake whatsoever in the LNG export terminal, was not on the hook for to invest in it, and would not have been on the receiving end of any distributions from the operation. COP's involvement in the terminal was for its original intent: importing LNG. Obviously, COP no longer needs to import LNG as it a large nat gas producer now and has shut in lots of nat gas production due to the low price of the domestic commodity.
    Aug 2 07:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Natural Gas Transportation Stocks For 2013: July Update [View article]
    I'll tell you something - a couple more quarters of downstream results like Q2, and perhaps XOM & CVX will begin to support nat gas transportation here in America. So far, their stance is that natural gas should be used for electric power generations and LNG exports, not to use in the transportation sector to reduce foreign oil imports.
    Aug 2 07:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Natural Gas Transportation Stocks For 2013: July Update [View article]
    Yeah, I found out about Utah's push for natural gas transportation a few years ago. They actually battled the EPA in court over ridiculous regulatory roadblocks to prevent the adoption of NGVs (no doubt the result of lobbying pressure to keep the status quo in force..i.e. gasoline & diesel). Here's a list of the 43 public CNG stations in Utah:

Questar, a local nat gas utility, is a major provider.

Honestly, I think it has a lot to do with the Mormon survival prep mentality. They see the danger of being dependent on gasoline in an era when oil is headed higher taking gasoline and diesel prices with it. Also, Salt Lake City has some air quality issues that the local population wants to address.
    Aug 2 05:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Natural Gas Transportation Stocks For 2013: July Update [View article]
    Yup, states like Oklahoma and Utah are leading the way in public nat gas refueling stations. With all the gas coming out of the Marcellus shale, it's surprising that the highly dense metropolitan areas on the East Coast, where natural gas refueling stations would have millions of potential customers, haven't made more progress in adopting natural gas transportation. It's a no brainer. But it has to come at some point. Oil is going to become more costly because it is getting more and more expensive (worldwide) to lift it.
    Aug 2 04:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Natural Gas Transportation Stocks For 2013: July Update [View article]
    You're right Lew, but I would add that it's more than just long haul truckers that are switching to natural gas. The majority of refuse trucks and buses sold in the US last year were NGVs. And there is big progress being made in the fleet market to adopt natural gas transportation. It's all good, in spite of Congress' ignorance of the revolution going on right under their noses.
    Aug 2 04:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Natural Gas Transportation Stocks For 2013: July Update [View article]
    Yeah, but could the majority of the profit go to companies like WPRT who actually do the retrofit? It is sad that neither Ford nor GM seem to embracemaking OEM NGVs in the US, although they do so overseas.
    Aug 2 04:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Suncor Energy Issues A Very Bullish 2nd Half Outlook [View article]
    I suppose that is possible, but clearly the company has done some engineering and design work to minimize downtime due to maintenance. They mentioned it several times on the call. It can only be a positive in my mind. But of course unplanned things happen in the oil patch all the time - whether it be oil sands or ultra deep offshore....
    Aug 2 04:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Suncor Energy Issues A Very Bullish 2nd Half Outlook [View article]
    Yes, I was quite surprised to hear CEO Williams so adamantly address the takeaway capacity as a "non-issue" and that is what motivated me to write the article. Note this recent article about Seaway capacity for heavy crude to the Gulf Coast:

Running below capacity (400k bpd) at 300 bpd, but 30% of the flow was heavy crude.
    Aug 2 04:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Suncor Energy Issues A Very Bullish 2nd Half Outlook [View article]
    I feel your pain, I am about even after holding the stock for some years now, so it has been a "lost opportunity". That said, I won't sell SU until the SU adopts natural gas transportation, and it looks as though the boys in DC don't want to do it.
    Aug 2 04:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Natural Gas Transportation Stocks For 2013: July Update [View article]
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Unlike the EU, Russia, and China, US energy policymakers have yet to adopt strategic natural gas transportation policies, despite domestic nat gas prices that are 3-4x lower here in the US! What a country....
    Aug 2 12:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Natural Gas Transportation Stocks For 2013: July Update [View article]
    Yeah, but what I would like to see is Ford and GM pull in WPRT's technology to their plants so that their NGVs can be OEM built from the ground up. If that happened, there is no reason for the huge $8-10k cost premium on a truck like the F-150. It should be more in the range of $2k. I'd also like to see the auto manufactures bundle a home nat gas refueling appliance with the sale of an NGV, so the customer could finance both at once, and have assistance with installation and warranty issues, reducing overall costs and risks for the customer. Once a significant number of home refueling stations and NGVs are sold, it would be just a matter of time before more public refueling stations would follow. Personally, I cannot wait to afford and refuel my own NGV at home!
    Aug 2 11:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Today: Shale Oil Names Leading Us Higher, Coal Disappoints Again [View article]
    Hey Matt, don't you think COP should be on your list considering their awesome performance in the Eagle Ford, their margin expansion, and their Q2 earnings beat?
    Aug 2 11:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Natural Gas Transportation Stocks For 2013: July Update [View article]
    Fuels Systems Solutions (FSYS) is one, and there are some other minor players. Of course CMI, GE, and CAT are players in engines, but I believe most of their products rely on WPRT for the nat gas technology.
    Aug 2 11:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Natural Gas Transportation Stocks For 2013: July Update [View article]
    Heh heh. Yeah, I was in WPRT early and sold too early. I'd like to get back into the stock, and am watching it closely.
    Aug 2 11:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment