Michael Fitzsimmons

View Michael Fitzsimmons' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Cummins' New 12-Liter Natural Gas Engine Is A Game Changer For Clean Energy [View article]
    Thanks for the corroborating quote Inside_Man!
    Nov 6, 2013. 01:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes Elmer - especially since we are increasingly securing Middle East oil that is going to China instead of the US. Not to mention that Chinese companies are now pumping more oil in Iraq than are US companies...grrrr....
    Nov 6, 2013. 12:59 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mr Matt: Nice thoughts? Apparently Munger's plan was to keep printing money to "pay" for foreign oil imports, which I find very interesting considering both Munger and Buffet don't care for gold. My article on the Munger "energy independence" video:

Secondly, using up foreign oil means burning an expensive and dirty fuel and it is a drag on the US economy, and has been for decades.
    Nov 6, 2013. 12:58 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Daniel: I beg to differ. I pointed out two facts to back up my assertion:

1) Kenworth, one of the biggest sellers of long-haul trucks, has already adopted the engine and released a product.
    2) The CEO of Chart pointed out that since the release of the engine, the company saw a "surge" in LNG tank orders, selling more tanks in Q3 than in all of 2012.

You must have missed the quote the first time - perhaps you should re-read it.

While you point out that natural gas engines are scarcely new, you apparently did not read the articles I linked to talking about how long-haul fleet managers have been hesitant to embrace nat gas because they needed more power. This engine, with 400 hp and great low-end torque, solves that problem.

As for data on # of engines sold, Cummins Westport has not released that data yet, so how can you expect me to report on it? If you wait until all the data is out before you invest, you'll be on the late show.

As for gallons delivered, most people understand without being told that long-haul trucks are the biggest consumers of diesel in the country and typically put 100,000 miles per year on the truck. At 5-10 mpg, that is in the neighborhood of 10,000 gallons of natural gas per year per truck. You are correct that I should have included these metrics to the article, and I wish I would have.

But I am not sure why you have such a negative view of the article and the topic. Speaking of evidence, you gave no evidence that the engine is not being well received or that there are any technical or engineering reasons why it will not be. All indications are to the contrary - the engine has been very well received and it is, indeed, a game changer.
    Nov 6, 2013. 11:42 AM | 17 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    If PACCAR adopts the new engine in their product line, I would think it would be a catalyst for growth.
    Nov 6, 2013. 11:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you. I will check out QTWW which is new to me. Meantime, GTLS seems to be doing very well making the LNG tanks.
    Nov 6, 2013. 11:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Well said Kimbo.
    Nov 6, 2013. 11:34 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Open Letter To Exxon's Board: It's Time To Sell Assets To Reward Long Suffering Shareholders [View article]
    How can you say I am "wrong" by quoting the return over a decade when I have not once, in either the article or the comments, even mentioned returns over a decade?

Please, if you want to debate, stick with what I write, and not scenarios you dream up and misquote me on.
    Nov 6, 2013. 08:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hahaha, it's amazing what some of the XOM investors say. "Hey, let's have the stock go down 40% so we can buy some more!" Haha.

Hey, I have a great idea, why not have it go down to $1 so the dividend is higher than the stock price! What a *great* idea!

You guys crack me up.
    Nov 6, 2013. 08:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    User 14263522: How do you know that? How do you know that stripping both the CEO and Chairman titles from Tillerson won't improve long term earnings power or financial flexibility. And you are right, I am very critical of Exxon's dividend policy, and I think any objective look at the company's capital allocation plans would also point to some problems (Iraq for example). So if you are content with the lowest dividend yield in the peer group, and satisfied with no stock price appreciation over 5 years, well then you should be a happy investor. Me, I have waited long enough. It's time for some changes at XOM.
    Nov 6, 2013. 08:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    joezane: You say "cater to shareholders" as though that is a bad thing. Newsflash: shareholders OWN the company, not the management. Currently the company's management is "catering to the management", and it simply amazes me that as a shareholder you cannot see this and be concerned about it. I have not manipulated any data. All the data I have presented is readily available and can be verified. I can't help it if you don't want to see the facts. I also can't help it if you want to move the dates you start to analyze things. The 5 year YChart data I presented is a fact. The chart presented in the article is fact. That you don't care to look at facts is your issue, not mine.

And once again, you state something as "fact" that is simply false. Your last sentence is proof of that. If you cannot debate based on facts, I am simply wasting my time.
    Nov 6, 2013. 08:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Considering the S&P500 is up 75%+ over the last 5 years, the obvious answer to your question is "YES", there are many many companies higher than they were 5 years ago. As for me being "bent", I would say that you need to open your eyes - you appear to be blinded and incapable of looking at XOM's stock and dividend performance under Tillerson in an objective and non-biased way. If you just sat down and looked at the actual data I provided, you would see that this is not "quibbling", this is being prudent about looking after an investment that I own. If you want to be satisfied with sub-par performance, that is your right. But it seems disingenuous for you to call me "bent" and say I am "quibbling" by simply pointing out the obvious and what every analyst that follows XOM has known for a number of years now.
    Nov 6, 2013. 08:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The problems are clearly stated in the article. Please re-read.
    Nov 6, 2013. 08:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I have started voted against any and all XOM proxy votes just to voice my disapproval of how it is being managed. Probably doesn't accomplish much, but makes me feel better.
    Nov 6, 2013. 08:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Phenom1: Considering the vast number of XOM executives, VPs, directors, you would have a hard time convincing me that any of them have more responsibilities than similar positions at CVX, COP, STO, EOG, or CLR. Someone once told me that the CEO of XOM made more in compensation than the entire executive staff at StatOil combined. All I am saying is that, relative to the stock's performance, as well as production growth, and some seriously bad management decisions, XOM's executive seem over compensated. Some would say to the extreme.

So you are arguing for a stagnant stock price simply because an investor chooses not to sell due to cap gains exposure? Surely not. I mean listen to what you are saying here...it's amazing to me that the bar for XOM has fallen so low as to generate such comments in order to rationalize what is going on. Just amazing.

I am sure you realize cap gain gets reset upon generational share transfer on death. I cannot believe I am reading that a shareholder wants the stock to stay low for a longer period of time. As for Mr Market's fickleness on "any give day", 5 years is a lot of "any given days" in my book.

I am not asking for fireworks. I am simply asking for the company to acknowledge its severe (and obvious) under performance, to pay a competitive dividend relative to its peer group, to strip the dual CEO and Chairman roles from Tillerson, and to take steps to address slim down, become leaner and meaner, and to get the stock moving.
    Nov 6, 2013. 08:30 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment